This skirt steak marinade is an easy way to get an ultra-tasty, juicy, and tender steak in as little as 30 minutes! Lemon, garlic, and cumin are just a few of the simple ingredients that help to make any grilled steak so good!
Grilled skirt steak marinade
This easy skirt steak marinade is simply the best! It’s 6 ingredients, including garlic, lime, and cumin and it gives the meat so much flavor whether it marinates for 20 minutes or 24 hours. It’s much more cost-effective to make your own, and definitely healthier because there are no added sugars and preservatives often found in store-bought marinades.
Seasoning your meat with a dry rub is one thing, but allowing it to marinate and permeate the meat for hours is a whole other way to give your steak its amazing flavor and caramelization. This simple recipe is perfect for grilling in the summer, but keep it handy all year, because it works for pan searing and roasting as well!
Why should I marinate my skirt steak?
Skirt steak is generally a tougher cut of meat due to the number of connective tissues, but it’s also one of the most flavorful. What the marinade does is break down those fibers, tenderizing the meat, so once it’s grilled, it becomes a perfectly juicy, melt-in-your-mouth piece of meat.
How long should I marinate skirt steak?
There is no right answer here. Anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours, which is a large window. That would depend on what you’ve got going on in the day and how much time you’ve given yourself. Sometimes if I have a lot on the go, if I’m hosting a BBQ and I know I have a lot of other sides and dishes to take care of, I will allow it to marinate for the entire day and pop it on the grill just before serving. No matter what you do, the lime juice will help break down the fibers and the garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper will give it a delicious flavor.
- Bring steak to room temperature if you’re marinating it in the fridge. Take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes before grilling.
- Add steak to a preheated grill, otherwise, you risk the meat sticking to the grill. You want to hear that initial sizzle as soon as it hits the grill.
- Allow the steak to rest before slicing it open to keep the juices in.
- Slice against the grain to keep each bite nice and tender.
What else can I use this marinade for?
You can’t have too many easy marinades at your fingertips, especially during grilling season. It comes together in minutes, so it’s a great one to have for skirt steak tacos, steak tacos, steak fajitas, or grilled steak kabobs.
Make ahead + storing
- Make ahead: The marinade can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept until you’re ready to add the meat. I don’t recommend marinating the meat longer than 24 hours, so I like to add the meat in the morning and grill that same evening.
- Storing: Once you remove the meat from the marinade, discard the marinade. Store cooked meat in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat on the grill or in the oven to warm through or slice and enjoy cold over top a salad.
More ways to season steak:
Easy Skirt Steak Marinade
- Combine the olive oil, lime, garlic, salt, cumin and pepper in a large bowl. Add the steak and marinate for at least 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Set out 30 minutes before cooking.
- Use tongs to transfer to a preheated grill and cook until it reaches desired doneness (about 3 to 4 minutes per side over high heat). Remove from grill and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Cut against the grain and serve as desired.