Turn a popular dinner idea into a breakfast favorite with these Mexican breakfast tacos. Easily made in just 15 minutes and perfect for serving a crowd!
Table of Contents
Easy Breakfast Tacos
Not only are tacos a dinner time favorite on Taco Tuesday in our house, but for breakfast too! Load them up with breakfast items like scrambled eggs and bacon and serve them in a flour tortilla with your favorite toppings. It’s pure genius!
If you know me, you know Mexican food is my weakness. So of course I’d jump at any chance to enjoy it for breakfast. These breakfast tacos are flavorful, filling and super easy to make. They’re loaded with breakfast favorites like eggs and bacon and then topped with all the famous taco toppings. It’s the perfect fusion!
These tacos also make the perfect easy meal for a crowd. They’ve been my go-to plenty of times when hosting a big family brunch. We love to set up a big taco bar and let everyone choose their own toppings. You could even include a few sides like hash browns or a big berry fruit salad.
How to make Mexican Breakfast Tacos
EGGS. Whisk the eggs with 2 Tablespoons water (or milk) for 1 minute. You want the mixture to be light and completely mixed together. Then pour into a buttered non-stick skillet and cook over medium-low heat. Use a spatula to pull the cooked outer edges toward the center and create circles in the middle. Continue stirring until about 95% done, then turn the heat off.
ASSEMBLE. Warm the tortillas in a skillet or in the microwave. Evenly divide the eggs between the 6 tortillas, then pile on your favorite toppings. If topping with cheese, I’d recommend adding it first so that the steam from the eggs can melt it.
Now for the best part…the toppings! We love to set up an assembly line with bowls of toppings and let everyone add on their favorites. I love topping mine with bacon, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, avocado, chives and sour cream.
- diced tomatoes
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- pico de gallo
- shredded cheese
- fajita veggies
- cilantro lime crema
- sour cream
- avocado lime dressing
- hot sauce
- Flour or corn tortillas both work great. You can even make fry bread breakfast tacos.
- Bulk up the tacos by spreading a spoonful of refried beans onto the tortilla.
- Use a mixture of half eggs + half egg whites, or even all egg whites if preferred.
- Add extra veggies like sautéed onions, red bell pepper or spinach.
- Sometimes I’ll add some cooked chorizo instead of bacon. You could even add on some leftover taco meat.
- You can skip the meat all together to make it vegetarian.
More Breakfast Recipes to Try
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter
- 8 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons water or milk
- 8 6" flour or corn tortillas
S&P, to taste
Optional toppings: avocado, bacon, shredded cheese, tomatoes, chives, sour cream, salsa, hot sauce
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the butter or grease lightly with cooking spray.
- Whisk the eggs with 2 Tablespoons of water for 1 minute. Then pour into the hot skillet once the butter has melted.
- Begin to pull the cooked outer edge to the center with a spatula and create circles in the middle. Keep stirring. Turn off the heat once they are 95% done. Then S&P to taste.
- Warm the tortillas and then divide the eggs between the tortillas. Add cheese immediately if you're adding to allow to melt. Then load up with your favorite toppings.
- Whisk the eggs for a good minute. The mixture should be light and completely mixed.
- The key to is to keep the heat low. Cooking them too fast will make them hard.
- Season the eggs towards the end to avoid drawing any moisture out.
- Remove from heat while they still seem a little wet. They will continue to cook in the pan until done.
- A way to bulk the tacos up is to add a spoonful or refried beans to the tortilla.
- You can also use half eggs and half egg whites (or all egg whites).
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!