Over 50 of the BEST Mexican food recipes that are easy, flavorful and quick to make. Whether you’re looking for side dishes, soups, healthy Mexican food or even desserts, you’ll find it all here!
Table of Contents
Best Mexican Recipes
Mexican food is BY FAR my favorite type of cuisine. All of the flavors, textures and fresh ingredients make each dish the absolute perfect combination of deliciousness. And don’t even get me started on chips and salsa…I could indulge in that tasty Mexican appetizer ALL day long.
This list of Mexican food includes all of your favorite authentic recipes like enchiladas, tacos, taquitos and fajitas. It also includes a few non-traditional recipes that put a fun spin on how you typically enjoy the classics.
So the next time you’re craving Mexican, try any of these delicious and easy recipes below. Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or need a new dinner idea for Taco Tuesday, you’ll find it all here. Trust me, this is some of the best Mexican food you’ve ever tasted!
How to Create a Mexican Feast for Cinco de Mayo
Whether you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo or just need a reason to enjoy Mexican food recipes, creating a feast with your favorite foods is easy with these tips!
- Make what you can ahead. Many Mexican food recipes can be made ahead so takes advantage of that to save time on the day of the party.
- Add flavorful condiments and sauces. Everyone loves to be able to dip and top their tacos how they like! Choose a variety of hot and cold Mexican dips, salsas, bowls of cheese, sour cream and guacamole.
- Keep it simple. It can be easy to go overboard when there are so many delicious Mexican recipes to choose from. Pick a few main dishes, some complimenting sides and condiments and call it good.
- Make it a potluck. Enlist the help of party guests! Have them bring their own favorite Mexican food recipe. A sign up sheet can help prevent duplicates.
- Taco bar. This or a nacho bar always goes over well and is so easy! Make what you can ahead of time, grill the meat the day of and guest can assemble tacos or bowls themselves.
Cinco de Mayo translated to mean the 5th of May. It is a holiday in Mexico that commemorates the Mexican Army’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla. You may hear it referred to in Mexico as the Battle of Puebla Day.
Today it has evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture and is popular to celebrate in the United States.
A taco is probably the best known Mexican food worldwide. Today you can simply have a taco or take it to the next level and create an art of work with your taco! Some even call it the ‘art of eating with tortilla’.
You might find these popular ingredients in most Mexican food recipes – beans, rice, avocados and limes. Fresh produce, bold herbs and spices and bright vegetables lie at the heart of the best Mexican food.
While that answer might vary from person to person, fajitas is one of most commonly eaten foods. It’s a versatile Tex Mex cuisine that can include meat served in a tortilla, but is also appealing with just veggies. Top it how you like and it’s a terrific meal!
Mexican Dinner Recipes
These are the traditional Mexican recipes that you would order at your favorite Mexican restaurant. But instead of ordering out, make them at home instead! They have the same authentic flavors you know and love and are super easy whip up.
- Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas. Creamy, cheese and flavorful! These are better than your favorite Mexican restaurant.
- Ground Beef Tacos. Seasoned ground beef in a crispy tortilla, top it how you like! A family favorite when it comes to Mexican food recipes.
- One Pot Burrito Bowl Recipe. This will be your new favorite way to make burritos and one pot is all you need.
- Steak Fajitas. Sizzling steak fajitas you can make right at home!
- Chicken Burritos. To die for with crispy tortillas, shredded chicken, rice, beans and cheese. The creamy salsa verde sauce takes these over the top!
- Slow Cooker Carnitas. Perfectly seasoned shredded pork in citrus juices and totally hands off in the slow cooker.
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas. I love how quick and easy these are with only 5 ingredients!
- Mexican Chicken Casserole. So much flavor and with crunchy tortillas! One bite and you will see why this is a family favorite.
- Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos. Crispy on the outside, creamy on the outside and absolute perfection.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls. Another hands off meal that is loaded with all your favorite Mexican foods!
- Skirt Steak Tacos. Mexican street food right at home in your own kitchen. You will love the bold flavor in these tacos!
- Cheesy Enchilada Pasta. If you are craving pasta and Mexican food, make this one pot pasta that combines the best of both worlds.
- Taco Casserole. All you need is 15 minutes to make this! If that doesn’t qualify as the best Mexican food, I don’t know what does!
- Shredded Beef Tacos. Tender shredded beef slow cooked and ready for dinner!
- Mexican Stuffed Shells. Your family will love this Mexican food twist on the popular pasta dish!
- Sheet Pan Nachos. Your family will be so happy when you place this sheet pan on the dinner table! Plates optional.
- Beef Enchiladas. One of the best Mexican food recipes for good reason! There is so much beefy, cheesy goodness going on in this dish.
- Beef Birria. Slow cooked on the stove until tender, this beef can be used in all sorts of favorite Mexican recipes from tacos to nachos.
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole. Enchiladas, yet easier! All you need is 5 ingredients, prep it, bake it and dinner is served.
- Beef Taquitos. Crispy corn tortillas filled with beef and cheese. Yum!
- One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice. Don’t spend more time cleaning up then you need to, this one pot Mexican recipe is perfect for busy nights.
- Taco Braid. When half the family wants pizza and the other half tacos, this braided bread comes to the rescue to satisfy everyone.
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas. Flour tortillas are stuffed to the brim with chicken, refried beans, salsa and cheese. You may need a bib for this one, sorry not sorry!
- Pork Enchiladas. A smoky enchilada makes these a family favorite!
Mexican Side Dishes
You may not immediately think about Mexican side dishes when you think of Mexican food recipes, but they are just as delicious as the main course! Whether it’s rice, veggies or bread, any of these sides would taste amazing alongside your favorite Mexican entrees.
- Easy Mexican Rice. Simple to make and adds such a vibrant color to the table!
- Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe. You will love the fresh, zesty taste of this Mexican favorite.
- Mexican Street Corn (Elote). Grilled to perfection and topped with lime crema and crumbled cheese. It’s messy and so good!
- Fajita Veggies. A colorful side dish that tastes great and is good for you too!
- Mexican Cornbread. Sweet and spicy with a tender crumb. This side will dissapear in no time!
Healthy Mexican Food Recipes
Healthy food doesn’t have to be boring, and these healthy Mexican recipes are a true testament to that statement. They are lighter alternatives that are definitely not lacking in flavor. You won’t even believe something this delicious can be good for you!
- Mexican Salad Recipe. Perfect for a light lunch or simple dinner! Don’t forget the tortilla strips.
- Easy Taco Salad Recipe. No one will miss the tortilla shell with this favorite Mexican recipe!
- One Pot Sweet Potato Bowls. When you want something lighter and meat free, this dish is it!
- 5-Ingredient Chicken Stuffed Peppers. These are so bright and colorful, it’s a feast for the eyes, too!
- Shredded Chicken Taco Salad. Loaded with all your taco favorites and then drizzled with a salsa ranch dressing.
- Taco Lettuce Wraps. Out of taco shells? Use a lettuce leaf and make this!
- EASY Fajita Salad Recipe. Packed with all your favorite fajita items, but in bowl form.
- Southwest Quinoa Salad. A protein-packed dish that is perfect for any fiesta, backyard BBQ or even picnic!
- EASY Crockpot Salsa Chicken. You won’t believe how amazing only two ingredients taste! Serve it bowl style and call it a day!
- Chicken Fajita Bowls. Make this for dinner tonight and pack it for lunch tomorrow. You will be the envy of the office.
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls. If you love dump and go recipes, this is a must try Mexican recipe favorite!
Mexican Soup Recipes
Who doesn’t love to cozy up with a warm bowl of Mexican soup? Each of these recipes are hearty, flavorful and packed with your favorite Mexican ingredients. You’ll have a hard time choosing just one!
- Albondigas Soup. Everyone loves this soup with beef and rice meatballs!
- Easy Taco Soup Recipe. A deconstructed taco in soup form, one of the best Mexican food recipes.
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup. Crowd pleasing and ready in 30 minutes!
- Chicken Enchilada Soup. One of my favorite crockpot soups, it’s creamy and delicious.
- Stuffed Pepper Soup. Comfort food in a bowl with ground beef, bell peppers, rice and a tomato broth.
- Mexican Chicken Soup. This healthy soup is not only delicious but gluten free and Whole 30 friendly.
- Chicken Taco Soup. Loaded with all your favorite taco flavor and tender chicken, this is another family favorite!
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili. Perfect for weeknights, football parties or anytime you want something creamy and delicious.
- Healthy Turkey Chili Recipe. No one has to know this is healthier, it’s full of so much incredible flavor.
- Best Instant Pot Taco Soup. This soup is great to make ahead for parties! Loaded with all your Tex Mex flavors.
- Green Enchilada Chicken Soup. This is so easy to make in the crockpot with only 10 minutes prep!
Mexican Dessert Recipes
You can’t forget about dessert when it comes to the best Mexican food! Mexican flavors pair wonderfully with all types of treats, whether it’s cake, cupcakes, cookies and more. Each of these desserts below are divine!
- Tres Leches Cake Recipe. A cake mix makes this homemade cake so much easier with the best sweet taste.
- Easy Homemade Churros. No one can resist one of these Mexican food favorites!
- Churro Cupcakes. All that you love about a churro but in a small individualized cake.
- Mexican Wedding Cookies. Melt in your mouth cookies that are the perfect sweet treat to a Mexican fiesta.
- Horchata Recipe. Served over ice, this milky drink is creamy with cinnamon and vanilla.
- Arroz Con Leche: Mexican rice pudding is creamy, sweet and the perfect way to end your fiesta.
Full List of Mexican Food Recipes
There is no shortage of the best Mexican food recipes in this list! Learn how to make carnitas, try something new like albondigas and enjoy some churros to end your meal.
Best Mexican Food Recipes
S&P to taste
Toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, cilantro
- Add the ground beef and onion to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally breaking up any large pieces.
- Drain off extra grease and add in the taco seasoning, salsa and water. Bring to a light simmer adding more water as desired.
- Serve in taco shells as-is or place in a 9×13" dish to bake. Then add cheese and bake at 400°F for 10 minutes.
- Add desired toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!