Instant pot meatloaf is juicy, flavorful, tender and so easy to make in your pressure cooker. Even the mashed potatoes are cooked at the same time!
Hey, guys! My name is Olena and I run the blog ifoodreal. I love quick healthy dinners and I am slightly obsessed with Instant Pot. I am so excited to share my Ukrainian grandma’s meatloaf recipe with you. With a few flavorful additions and cooked in electric pressure cooker instead of an oven, this hands off Instant Pot meatloaf will quickly become your go-to dinner.
Classic meatloaf with ketchup glaze, creamy mashed potatoes and easy side like steamed green beans is an epitome of comfort food. Instant Pot is truly a magic appliance that makes dinner easy and clean up a breeze. And once you know how to use the instant pot, it’s truly a game changer. Even potatoes cook at the same time with the meatloaf. You don’t have to but why wouldn’t you?!
Now you can enjoy this classic dish even on a weeknight after busy day at work. You can even prep it the day before, refrigerate and just pull out from the fridge when ready to cook. Press a few buttons, dinner cooks itself and it can even keep warm for hours until your dinner time. Instant pot is truly magical.
How to make Instant Pot meatloaf
- Prep. To Instant Pot, add water, potatoes and trivet. Stack two large pieces of tin foil on top of each other. Set aside.
- Mix and shape. In a large bowl, add ground beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic and onion powders, balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix just until combined, place on top of foil and shape into round meatloaf. Fold foil to shape into a bowl with tall walls.
- Cook in instant pot. Place bowl with meatloaf on top of trivet, close the lid, set valve to sealing and pressure cook on high pressure for 27 minutes.
- Release pressure and remove meatloaf. After cook time is up, wait for 10 minutes and then turn valve to venting. Make sure meatloaf is cooked through to 160 degrees F. Then wearing oven mitts carefully remove bowl onto a large plate. Using spatula transfer meatloaf to a cutting board and discard foil with drippings.
- Glaze and mash. Brush meatloaf with ketchup. Remove trivet from instant pot and add butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash potatoes with a masher but do not overmash.
- Serve. Slice meatloaf and serve hot with mashed potatoes.
Cooking tips and variations
- Worcestershire sauce. Replace balsamic vinegar with same amount of Worcestershire sauce if that is your usual meatloaf addition.
- Breadcrumbs substitute. You can use equal amount of rolled oats to make meatloaf more wholesome. Whole wheat breadcrumbs add fiber and nutrients as well.
- Lean poultry. Ground turkey will work and thanks to locked in steam during cooking, it comes out just as tender.
- Ketchup. Keep it simple with a ketchup glaze, or add a bit more flavor by making this easy 3-ingredient meatloaf sauce. The addition of BBQ sauce and light brown sugar make it perfectly sweet and tangy.
- Shape. It is important to shape meatloaf round and relatively flat to ensure even cooking.
- Do not vent right away. Wait 10 minutes before releasing pressure to allow the meat to finish cooking and retain its moisture.
- Use a meat thermometer. When inserted in the center and the thermometer reads 160°F, the meatloaf is ready. If it is around 150-155°F, close the lid back on and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to finish cooking.
- Cooking without potatoes. You can cook meatloaf without potatoes on a trivet by following the recipe. Keep 1 cup water and same cook time.
You can easily prep meatloaf and potatoes ahead for cooking and then keep warm until serving later. Here is how:
- Place cubed potatoes in a bowl and cover with cold water to prevent browning. Shape meatloaf in a tin bowl and cover tightly with extra piece of foil. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, drain potatoes and add them to instant pot along with 1 cup water. Remove top foil from meatloaf and place on trivet on top of potatoes and cook as per recipe.
- To keep cooked meal warm until ready to serve, place trivet on top of mashed potatoes. Save foil bowl but drain the juices, place meatloaf inside it, then on top of trivet, close the lid and press keep warm. I tried it for 4 hours and it was fantastic! Trivet is easy to remove from mashed potatoes and you can also reserve some juices to pour over sliced meatloaf.
More instant pot recipes:
- Instant pot pot roast
- Instant pot beef stew
- Chicken and dumplings
- Instant pot potato soup
- Instant pot baked ziti
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds potatoes , cubed
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Into 6 quart or 8 quart Instant Pot, add 1 cup water, potatoes and place trivet on top. Also prep double layer of foil larger than a meatloaf size. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic and onion powders, balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix just until combined (otherwise meat won’t be as tender).
- Place meat mixture on prepared foil, shape into round meatloaf and fold up foil into a tight bowl. You need walls tall enough to prevent grease spilling on over potatoes during cooking. Place on a trivet.
- Close the lid, set pressure release valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual for 27 minutes.
- After allow pressure to come down on its own for 10 minutes and then turn valve to venting to release remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and make sure thermometer inserted in the middle of the meatloaf reads 160°F. Wearing oven mitts, carefully transfer meatloaf bowl onto a large plate. Then using a spatula, transfer to a cutting board or another large plate. Brush meatloaf with ketchup. Discard foil with drippings.
- Remove trivet from Instant Pot, add butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash potatoes with a masher but do not overmash.
- Slice meatloaf and serve hot with mashed potatoes.