This instant pot potato soup is creamy, hearty, and loaded with tender potatoes and veggies. Flavorful budget-friendly comfort food made with simple wholesome ingredients the whole family will love!
You can never have too many low-maintenance soup recipes, especially during the winter months. Having a dish you can make in a pinch is a parenting win if you ask me! We love serving this potato soup with a light side salad or a slice of homemade french bread.
Instant pot loaded potato soup is a thick full-bodied soup, filled with earthy flavors from the root veggies and light herbs. All resulting in the mouthwatering aromas you want filling your kitchen at the end of the day.
Because it’s so easy to prepare, it not only makes a great busy weeknight meal but also a comforting dish to have on a lazy weekend. Make a big batch and have enough leftovers for the entire week.
Serve topped with cheese and maybe even add some leftover baked ham for added flavor and texture and you’ve got a quick and nutritious soup that doesn’t miss a beat. Enjoy this soup-er twist on the loaded baked potato!
How to make potato soup in instant pot
- Combine: To the instant pot, add all ingredients for soup and stir to combine.
- Pressure: Place the lid on and set the valve to Seal. Set to high pressure – manual for 3 minutes. Once it has come to pressure and the cooking time is finished, slowly release the valve manually, being very careful to avoid any splatter or spray. Use a kitchen mitt to protect yourself.
- Whisk: Turn the instant pot to sauté. Whisk the cornstarch and evaporated milk together, then slowly add and stir into the soup. Allow it to thicken.
- Serve: Stir in shredded cheese, salt, and pepper to taste and serve with desired toppings.
Tips and variations
- Type of potatoes. Making soup in an instant pot is pretty forgivable and you can probably get away with using any type of potato that does well when boiled. Russet potatoes, Yukon golds, and red potatoes are great options.
- Flavoring. Potatoes on their own don’t have a ton of flavor, so don’t skimp on the carrots, celery, and seasoning!
- Toppings. The toppings make this soup. Have side bowls of toppings, such as extra cheese, green onions, crumbled bacon, and sour cream that way everyone can add what they like.
- Silky smooth. For a smoother consistency and less chunky texture, feel free to use an immersion blender to blend it even further.
- DIY. Grate the cheese yourself from a block rather than using the pre-shredded cheddar. Pre-shredded doesn’t melt and blend as nicely.
- Gluten-free. To keep this soup gluten-free you’ll want to stick with the cornstarch rather than substituting for flour.
More comfort soup recipes:
- Crockpot potato soup
- Chicken pot pie soup
- Slow cooker enchilada soup
- Creamy ham and potato soup
- Chicken gnocchi soup
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 14 ounces chicken broth or vegetable broth (1 can)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (more to taste)
- 5 potatoes (about 4 cups peeled and cubed)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
Add after it has cooked:
- 5 ounce can evaporated milk (can sub for half and half or whole milk)
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch (or flour)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, cooked and crumbled bacon, sour cream, green onions
- Combine the broth, water, garlic, salt, onion powder, parsley and pepper into the pot. Stir and then add potatoes, carrots and celery. Stir until combined.
- Place the lid on and make sure the valve is sealed. Set the instant pot to high pressure and then select 3 minutes. It will take about 10-15 minutes to build pressure. Once the time is over do a slow release of the valve to remove pressure (wearing a kitchen mit).
- Turn the instant pot to saute mode. Whisk together the cornstarch and and evaporated milk. Then slowly stir into the soup. Allow to thicken. Then stir in shredded cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with desired toppings.