Learn how to make homemade breadcrumbs with just 2 simple ingredients in less than 20 minutes! Perfect for binding, topping and making crusts for meats.
Table of Contents
No need to buy breadcrumbs when you can easily make them at home! It’s the perfect way to use up leftover bread and takes no time at all. Breadcrumbs are perfect for binding, topping and making crust for meats. We love adding them to meatloaf and meatballs, making chicken parmesan or topping casseroles. There are so many ways to put them to good use!
Best Bread to Use
Any type of bread will work, although white bread is my favorite. It’s more dense in texture, which creates more crumbs. French bread, French baguette or artisan bread are also great options. You can even use leftover dinner rolls or hamburger buns to make breadcrumbs. Use day old bread for the best results (it’s had time to dry out but isn’t too hard).
How to Make Breadcrumbs
BAKE. Cut the bread into cubes, then place on a baking sheet that’s been brushed with olive oil. Sprinkle any preferred seasonings on top. Then bake in the oven at 300°F for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the bread is a light golden color and dry to touch. Remove from oven and let cool.
BLEND. Once the bread has cooled, pour into a food processor or blender and pulse until you see a crumb consistency. You can also place the bread into a bag and roll with a rolling pin (the crumbs will be thicker this way).
Tips + Variations
- Use whatever bread you have leftover, however I prefer white bread.
- Approximately 4 slices of bread will make 1 cup of dried breadcrumbs
- Make sure the bread is dry before blending. You don’t want it too hard or too soft.
- Feel free to mix in spices for more flavor (like Italian seasoning or garlic powder).
Pour any leftovers into a jar with a lid and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. You can also freeze the breadcrumbs for up to 3 months.
Use Breadcrumbs to Make
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (more as needed)
- 6 ounces bread (about 4-5 cups cut into cubes)
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Brush olive oil onto the bottom of a baking sheet.
- Place bread cubes on baking sheet. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning if desired. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until lightly golden and dry to touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Place bread cubes in food processor or blender and pulse until it turns into crumbs. For thicker crumbs you can place the bread into a bag and roll with a rolling pin.
- Transfer breadcrumbs to an airtight container or jar and store up to 2 weeks or 3 months in the freezer.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!