This easy meatball soup recipe comes together in one pot in less than 45 minutes! It’s super hearty, flavorful and sure to be a family favorite!
I love to freeze homemade meatballs to use for easy dinners on busy weeknights. There are so many delicious meals to make with them, like this Italian meatball soup, Swedish meatballs, porcupine meatballs, Hawaiian meatballs and meatball subs.
This recipe is a new favorite at our house! It’s such an easy dish to make and comes together in one pot in less than 45 minutes. Plus it’s perfectly hearty and full of flavor.
I love to make my homemade meatballs with this meatball soup (if you haven’t tried them, they are amazing!). I usually make a big batch to keep in the freezer and pull out for this soup or spaghetti. However when I’m in a pinch, I’ll use frozen store-bought meatballs and just thaw them before adding to the soup.
What you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Fully cooked meatballs (frozen or homemade)
- Beef broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- Ditalini pasta (or elbow noodles)
How to make meatball soup
Step 1: Sauté veggies and meatballs
Add olive to in a large pot over medium-heat. Mix in chopped onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Then add the pre-cooked meatballs and garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Step 2: Stir in broth and tomatoes and simmer
Next add the beef broth, tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 3: Add noodles and cook until al dente
Then add the noodles and cook and additional 10 minutes, or until they are cooked al dente. Salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
Ladle into bowls and enjoy with parmesan and fresh basil, if desired.
- To make healthier: You can use turkey meatballs and cut out the pasta. You could also add in more vegetables and 2-3 cups of baby spinach or kale during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- If using frozen meatballs: Set frozen meatballs out to thaw for a couple of hours prior to adding to the soup.
- Noodles: I love using Ditalini pasta, but elbow noodles work great too. You could even use small pasta shells, similar to the noodles in minestrone soup.
- Top with: We always add fresh shaved parmesan and fresh basil on top of ours. It finishes it off with the perfect flavor!
- Serve with: This meal tastes great served with homemade bread or rolls.
More easy soup recipes:
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Hearty Vegetable Soup
- One-Pot Lasagna Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Easy Taco Soup
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound fully cooked meatballs , frozen or homemade
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups Ditalini pasta , or elbow noodles
Optional: S&P, parmesan and fresh basil for serving
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium-heat. Then add in onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Then add the pre-cooked meatballs and garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Next add in the beef broth, tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes on medium-low, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the noodles to the soup and cook and additional 10 minutes, or until cooked al dente. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy with parmesan and fresh basil, if desired.