Paleo, gluten-free and Whole30 friendly! An easy crockpot soup recipe that takes just 5 minutes of prep. This Mexican chicken soup is packed with veggies and is healthy and delicious!
Table of Contents
Healthy Whole30 Soup Recipe
This is one of my favorite meals to eat during the Whole30 challenge. It’s full of flavor and tastes amazing. I also love to make slow cooker cabbage soup, sheet pan sausage and vegetables and chicken vegetable soup.
This Mexican soup recipe is super easy to make and tastes amazing! It’s very filling and is comforting on a rainy day. It’s also a great way to sneak in some extra veggies. My whole family loved it! Plus I love any excuse to use my crockpot. ;)
The great thing about this Mexican chicken soup is that it’s paleo, gluten-free and Whole30 friendly! I made it multiple times when doing the Whole30 and it’s by far one of my favorite Whole 30 recipes for the challenge. It’s nutritious and veggie-packed, but doesn’t skimp on flavor. It’s one of my favorite healthy soups to make!
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Veggies: carrots, celery, onion, red bell pepper and cilantro
- Spices: minced garlic, kosher salt, cumin and chili powder
How to Make Mexican Chicken Soup
- MIX. Add all ingredients in crockpot and mix together.
- COOK. Turn heat to high and cook for 3 to 4 hours, or until both the chicken and veggies are tender. You can also cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- SERVE. Remove chicken from crockpot and shred. Then mix back into the soup. Ladle into bowls and serve with your favorite toppings!
There are lots of toppings that would taste great on this Mexican soup. Below are a few of my favorites. If you’re doing the Whole30 challenge, make sure your toppings are Whole30 approved! I’ve broken out Whole30 toppings and non Whole30 toppings below.
- Lime juice
Non Whole30 toppings:
Tips for Mexican Chicken Soup
- Stove top version: This soup can easily be made on the stove if preferred. I’d recommend using precooked chicken, like rotisserie. Saute the onions, carrots, celery, bell peppers and garlic in a large pot for about 3 to 5 minutes, then stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a light simmer. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!
- Add extra veggies: Feel free to add in extra veggies like chopped zucchini, diced potatoes or green beans.
- Serve with rice: If you’re not doing a Whole30, you can serve the soup with cooked rice. Add the rice to the bottom of your bowl, then ladle the soup on top.
This Mexican soup makes a perfect freezer meal! To freeze, place leftovers in an airtight bag or container and place in the freezer. To thaw, store in refrigerator overnight. Warm back up on stove or in microwave before serving.
5 star review
“I made this soup for supper tonight and it is delicious!!! I am doing my second Whole30, and I foresee this soup showing up on the table many more times. Thank you for sharing it on your blog!”– Julie
More Mexican Soup Recipes
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2-3 large breasts)
- 32 ounce container chicken broth
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes (2 cans)
- 1 ½ cups carrots , chopped
- 1 ½ cups celery , chopped
- 1 cup onion , chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 cup cilantro , chopped
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder , more to taste
- ½ lime (juiced)
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Cook until the chicken shreds easily and the vegetables are tender. Shred chicken and then place back in crockpot.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!