Mexican Chicken Soup – Paleo, gluten-free and Whole30 friendly! An easy crock pot soup recipe that takes just 5 minutes of prep. This Mexican soup is packed with veggies and is healthy and delicious!
This is one of my favorite meals to eat during the Whole30 challenge. It’s full of flavor and tastes amazing. I also love to make slow cooker cabbage soup, sheet pan sausage and vegetables and hearty vegetable soup.
This Mexican soup recipe is super easy to make and tastes amazing! It’s very filling and is comforting on a rainy day. It’s also a great way to sneak in some extra veggies. My whole family loved this Mexican chicken soup. Plus I love any excuse to use my crock pot. ;)
The great thing about this Mexican chicken soup is that it’s Paleo, gluten-free and Whole30 friendly! I made this Mexican soup multiple times when doing the Whole30 and it’s by far one of my favorite recipes for the challenge. It’s nutritious and veggie-packed, but doesn’t skimp on flavor. It’s one of my favorite healthy soups to make!
Ingredients for Mexican soup recipe
This Mexican chicken soup requires lots of fresh veggies and flavorful spices. See below for ingredients that you’ll need to get started.
- Chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- Chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Veggies: Carrots, celery, onion, red bell pepper & cilantro
- Tomato paste
- Spices: Minced garlic, kosher salt, cumin, chili powder
How do you make Mexican chicken soup?
This Mexican soup is SO easy to make. Just throw everything in the crock pot and you’ll have delicious soup ready in no time. Follow the steps below to get started.
- Combine all soup ingredients in a crock pot and mix.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours. Cook until chicken shreds easily and the vegetables are tender.
- Take the chicken out of the crock pot, shred and add back in. Mix and serve immediately.
How to freeze Mexican soup
This Mexican soup recipe makes a perfect freezer meal! To freeze, place leftovers in an airtight bag or container and place in the freezer. To thaw, store in refrigerator over night. Warm back up on stove or in microwave before serving.
Toppings for Mexican chicken soup recipe
There are lots of toppings that would taste great on this Mexican soup. Below are a few of my favorites. If you’re doing the Whole30 challenge, make sure your toppings are Whole30 approved! I’ve broken out Whole30 toppings and non Whole30 toppings below.
- Lime juice
Non Whole30 toppings
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Tortilla chips or strips
Mexican Chicken Soup
Mexican Chicken Soup - Paleo, gluten-free and Whole30 friendly! An easy crock pot soup recipe that takes just 5 minutes of prep. This Mexican soup is packed with veggies and is healthy and delicious!
- 1 pound chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, about 2-3 large breasts)
- 32 ounces chicken broth (1 container)
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes (2 cans)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups celery (chopped)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. Cook until the chicken shreds easily and the vegetables are tender. Shred chicken and serve immediately.