This crockpot cabbage soup is not only delicious and flavorful but chock full of vegetables with lots of fiber and is very satisfying. All you need to do is dump everything in the slow cooker and let it do the work for you!
Healthy Crockpot Soup
I don’t know about you, but I crave all the soup recipes when it’s cold outside. I’ve been trying to eat healthier, so I’ve been making more vegetable soups like this one recently.
This cabbage soup AKA weight loss soup is a great way to get your daily vegetables in with little calories It’s an easy healthy dinner idea that is actually very satisfying. It’s whole 30 friendly, vegetarian, vegan and zero points for weight watchers. It’s pretty much great for any lifestyle. Whenever I’m trying to lose weight (especially after I’ve had babies), this crockpot cabbage soup always makes it’s way into my meal rotation!
Cabbage Soup Diet
Have you heard of the cabbage soup diet? You can read more about it here, but basically it is a short term diet (cleanse) where you eat this cabbage soup for lunch and dinner and add in some other foods such as fruit and grains.
It’s definitely not sustainable long term, but might be good to kick-start a diet for a couple days. I’ve never actually done it before (I think I would get bored honestly), but I love the soup! It’s so good for you and tastes delicious. Even my kids will eat it. I wouldn’t say they “LOVE IT,” but they’ll definitely eat it over raw vegetables any day. ;)
Tips and Variations
- Vegetables: You can absolutely substitute vegetables with this soup, however you want to end up with about 8 cups of vegetables. I like to stay away from starchy vegetables, like potatoes… however you can definitely add them in. It makes it a little more heartier.
- Broth: Vegetable, beef or chicken broth all taste great in this recipe. You can also add in a can of V-8 juice or tomato juice to thicken it up and add more flavor.
- Beans: Sometimes I’ll add in a can of kidney or northwestern beans as well to make it go a little further. It adds a delicious flavor too.
- Meat: There’s nothing stopping you from adding in some cooked hamburger or shredded chicken to thicken the consistency and make it more hearty.
- Spice: If you like heat, sprinkle in some red pepper flakes, cayenne, taco seasoning or a little bit of chili powder. You can also use fire roasted diced tomatoes for an extra kick.
How to Store Cabbage Soup
The beauty of slow cooker recipes is that they make a lot, so you’re bound to have leftovers. This soup makes a great lunch the next day or freezer meal for a busy weeknight. It will stay fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. It will also keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating, then enjoy!
More Veggie Filled Soups:
- Hearty Vegetable Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Tomato Basil Soup
Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2-3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1-2 cups cut green beans
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped or shredded carrots
- 1 small zucchini , diced
- 1 bell pepper , chopped
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes (can use Italian or basil for more flavor)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 32 ounce package nonfat vegetable broth, beef broth or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Place all of the chopped vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker base. Add in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Next sprinkle the Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper over the vegetables. Then pour in the broth.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!