This crockpot cabbage soup recipe is not only delicious and flavorful but chock full of vegetables with lots of fiber and is very satisfying. All you need to do is dump everything in the slow cooker and let it do the work for you!
Table of Contents
Healthy Crockpot Soup
I don’t know about you, but I crave all the soup recipes when it’s cold outside. I’ve been trying to eat healthier, so I’ve been making more vegetable soups like this one and my vegetable beef soup lately.
This cabbage soup AKA weight loss soup is a great way to get your daily vegetables in with little calories similar to this green smoothie.
It’s an easy healthy dinner idea made with satisfying and nutritious ingredients! This whole 30-friendly, low carb, vegetarian, vegan, and zero point Weight Watchers crockpot cabbage soup is an ideal addition to any lifestyle.
Cabbage Soup Diet
Have you heard of the cabbage soup diet? You can read more about it here, but basically, it is a short-term diet (cleanse) where you eat this low carb cabbage soup for lunch and dinner with other foods such as fruit and grains.
It’s definitely not long-term sustainable, but it might be good to kick-start a diet for a couple of days, especially when aiming to lose weight.
I’ve never done it before (I think I would get bored honestly), but I love this healthy soup recipe that tastes delicious! Even my kids will eat it. I wouldn’t say they “LOVE IT,” but they’ll definitely eat it over raw vegetables any day. ;)
Adding in fresh healthy vegetables, this hearty cabbage soup is great to get all your daily vegetables in one meal. You will love the intense flavor of the simple ingredients!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Vegetables: Cut and chop all the vegetables evenly to help them cook together. The celery, onion, green cabbage, green beans, bell pepper, zucchini and carrots are all fresh and produce that needs to be chopped ahead of time.
- Tomato: Grab a can of diced tomatoes and add to the slow cooker. This will help save time but it also can be flavored to add in more depth to your healthy dinner.
- Tomato paste: Thicken your soup with a bit of flavor in the cabbage soup.
- Italian seasoning: Always an easy favorite to add several seasonings at once.
- Garlic: This adds in a subtle hint of earthy flavors with a nutty and raw flavoring.
- Flavorful broth: Pick from nonfat vegetable broth, beef broth, or chicken broth.
- Salt and pepper: Add a little or more depending on your tastebuds!
How to Make Cabbage Soup in the Crockpot
This easy cabbage soup recipe is so simple to make! Chopping all the vegetables may take a few extra minutes but it is worth the flavor and deliciousness as it effortlessly simmers in your slow cooker all day.
- Chop and prepare. Place all of the chopped vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker base.
- Tomatoes and seasoning. Add in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Next sprinkle the Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper over the vegetables.
- Cook time. Pour in the broth. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
How Long Does Cabbage Soup Take to Cook?
Crock pot cabbage soup is a dump-and-go soup so the slow cooker does all the work! It’s easy to make on the weekend and then be able to enjoy all week long for lunch and dinner.
Take your time slowly cooking this on low for 8 hours or speed it up to have dinner in less than 4 hours by cooking it on high! You can also cook it on the stove top in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat for about 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
This is going to be your favorite slow-cooker soup!
Cabbage Soup Variations
Create the best cabbage soup you love with these additions. Keep the great same base, then make this vegetable cabbage soup even healthier by adding in plant-based protein with beans, or spice it up a bit!
- Vegetables: You can absolutely substitute vegetables with this easy soup recipe as long as you end up with a total 8 cups of vegetables. I like to avoid starchy vegetables, like potatoes, but you can definitely add them in to make it heartier.
- Broth: Vegetable, beef stock, or chicken broth all taste great in this recipe. You can also add in a can of V-8, tomato juice or tomato sauce to thicken it up and add flavor.
- Beans: Sometimes I’ll add in a can of kidney beans or white beans as well to make it go a little further. It adds a delicious flavor too.
- Meat: There’s nothing stopping you from adding in some cooked ground beef, Italian sausage or shredded chicken to thicken the consistency.
- Spice: If you like heat, sprinkle in some red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, taco seasoning or a little bit of chili powder. You can also use fire-roasted diced tomatoes for an extra kick.
- Fresh herbs: Right before serving add some garnishes such as fresh parsley, dill or basil and a squeeze of lemon juice for a pop of bright flavor!
5 star review
“Delicious!!! We had this for dinner yesterday. My husband and I loved it. I followed the recipe as written, using beef broth. I’m looking forward to leftovers for lunch today.“Sandra
It is a healthy soup that can be a part of any diet plan. This detox soup is known as the cabbage soup diet and can cause weight loss. It is best to know all the information before starting a diet.
Cabbage soup is a great source of vitamins, folate, fiber, and magnesium. Health benefits include reduced inflammation and lower cholesterol.
Yes, you can! This slow cooker cabbage soup does not need to be cooked too long. The cabbage will become limp and smell unpleasant.
Yes! It is best to remove the outer layer of fresh cabbage before chopping. The outer layer of a head of cabbage is usually used in salads or coleslaw.
It will stay fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months in freezer-safe containers. Thaw before reheating, then enjoy!
More Veggie Filled SoupsBrowse all
Crockpot Cabbage Soup
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3-4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1-2 cups green beans , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small zucchini , diced
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes (can use Italian for more flavor)
- 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt , to taste
- Ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 (32-ounce) package nonfat vegetable broth, beef broth, or chicken broth
- 1-2 cups chopped spinach
For serving: Freshly chopped basil or parsley
- In a slow cooker, add onion, cabbage, green beans, celery, carrot, zucchini, bell pepper, and garlic. Stir in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper over the vegetables. Pour in the broth.
- Cook on high 4 to 5 hours or on low 7 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Just before serving, stir in the spinach and cook a few more minutes until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with fresh herbs, if desired.
- Vegetables: You can absolutely substitute vegetables with this soup, however, you want to end up with about 8 cups of vegetables. I like to avoid starchy vegetables, like potatoes… however you can definitely add them in. It makes it a little heartier.
- Broth: Vegetable, beef, or chicken broth all taste great in this recipe. You can also add in a can of V-8 juice or tomato juice to thicken it up and add more flavor.
- Beans: Sometimes I’ll add in a can of kidney or northwestern beans as well to make it go a little further. It adds a delicious flavor, too.
- Meat: There’s nothing stopping you from adding in some cooked hamburger or shredded chicken to thicken the consistency and make it more hearty.
- Spice: If you like heat, sprinkle in some red pepper flakes, cayenne, taco seasoning or a little bit of chili powder. You can also use fire-roasted diced tomatoes for an extra kick.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!