Tender and flavorful homemade meatballs stuffed with gooey mozzarella cheese. These mozzarella stuffed meatballs are what dreams are made of!
Anything that’s stuffed with cheese is an immediate win in my book. Then pair that with delicious Italian flavors and you’re guaranteed a success. This recipe is one of my Italian stuffed favorites, as well as cheesy stuffed garlic bread and pizza chicken roll ups.
These mozzarella meatballs are a delicious twist on my favorite meatball recipe. Plain homemade meatballs are fantastic, but add mozzarella in the center and you’re in for a real treat. The meatballs are tender, juicy, flavorful and full of gooey mozzarella.
These are the perfect addition to pasta, served along side roasted vegetables or even as an appetizer. Our favorite way to enjoy them is to simmer in marinara and then serve over spaghetti noodles. Sometimes we’ll make garlic bread as well. Seriously so yummy!
How to make mozzarella meatballs
MIX. Combine all of the ingredients (except the mozzarella) in a bowl. Mix together just until combined. Be sure not to over mix. If the mixture is too dry, add in a Tablespoon or two of water.
STUFF. Cut the mozzarella into 1/2″ cubes. You’ll want 24 cubes total. Scoop the meat with a spoon, then place a piece of cheese in the center and wrap the meat around the cheese. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and repeat until all meatballs are formed.
BAKE. Bake at 400°F for 17 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Make sure to flip at the halfway mark.
Tip: Make sure the cheese is sealed in the center, or else it will melt out while baking
I typically use marinara sauce to go over top, but you could certainly serve plain or with a homemade tomato sauce. Below are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy these mozzarella meatballs.
- Serve with marinara and pasta
- As a main dish with roasted veggies
- As an appetizer
- In a meatball sub
- Make meatball sliders
Tips for success
- I prefer using 80% lean ground beef for juicy meatballs, but you can also substitute for ground turkey if you prefer.
- Don’t over mix. Mix just until combined, so the meat stays tender and juicy.
- If you want a little kick, feel free to add some red pepper flakes into the meat mixture.
- Flip halfway through so that the bottoms don’t burn and all sides get brown.
- Scoop the meatballs with a medium cookie scoop so they are all the same size.
- If serving as an appetizer, add toothpicks on top for easy access.
- Top with more fresh chopped parsley before serving for extra flavor.
More Italian favorites:
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Recipe
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef (could sub with half ground pork)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4-6 ounces mozzarella , cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped fresh Italian Flat leaf parsley
For serving: Marinara
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine the meat, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, garlic, onion, black pepper and parsley in a bowl. Stir just until combined, do not over mix. Add a Tablespoon or two of water as needed to keep a wet mixture.
- Cut cheese into 24 cubes about 1/2" in size.
- Use a medium cookie scoop or spoon to scoop the meat. Then place a piece of cheese in the center and wrap the meat around the cheese. Form into 1 1/2" balls and place on the pan.
- Bake uncovered for 17-20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle. Turn halfway through, so the bottoms don't brown.
- Simmer meatballs with marinara sauce for 10 minutes and serve over noodles if desired.