These peanut butter and jelly cookies are the most delicious peanut butter cookie topped with strawberry jam and a vanilla glaze. These will soon become your new favorite treat!
Fun Twist on Peanut Butter Cookies
Lately I have been craving PB&J sandwiches with cold milk non-stop. I’ve also been craving cookies, so I thought I would combine my two loves and make some peanut butter and jelly cookies.
Once I perfected the recipe, I was in complete heaven. They are seriously so good. They are a fun twist on the classic chewy peanut butter cookies, with the addition of sweet strawberry jam in the middle and a drizzle of powdered sugar icing. They remind me of thumbprint cookies, but with that yummy PB&J flavor.
These would be the perfect cookies to make with your kids during the holiday season and share it with someone in need of a little love. They would also be great for a cookie exchange or to add to your Christmas dessert board. Everyone always loves them!
How to Make PB&J Cookies
I adapted this recipe from my favorite peanut butter blossoms. It is so simple to make and they are so soft and tender. Sometimes I will make them rolled in sugar or with chocolate on top, but making them with jam in the center is definitely my new favorite.
- Follow the recipe below to make the peanut butter cookie dough.
- Roll the dough into balls.
- Place a thumbprint in the middle. My trick to getting the perfect thumbprint, is to use a teaspoon.
- Fill the center with jam.
- Bake at 350°F for 9 minutes. Then let cool completely on a wire rack.
You can definitely leave them plain with jam on top (they are plenty sweet), or you can add a simple powdered sugar icing to dress them up. If I’m packaging them up, I like to add the glaze to make them a little prettier. It’s super easy to whip us as well (you just need powdered sugar, milk and vanilla). Then I like to place the glaze in a zip top bag and snip the top off, to make it easier to drizzle the glaze on.
Feel free to use strawberry preserves or other varieties of your favorite jelly, such as raspberry jam or grape jelly. You may also roll the cookie dough balls in granulated sugar before baking for another hint of sweetness. A cream cheese glaze would also taste delicious on top as well.
How to Store Peanut Butter Jelly Cookies
- To store: Once the cookies have cooled, store in a single layer in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Once they have cooled, store in a single layer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Once frozen, you can stack them in the container.
More Delicious Desserts:
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
- PB&J Fudge
- Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- Easy Buckeye Recipe
- No-Bake Cornflake Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Then add in the peanut butter, egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add in flour and baking soda and mix just until combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or about 1 1/2 Tablespoons, scoop the dough onto the baking sheets about two inches apart. Use a teaspoon to press a hole in the center of the dough and fill the centers with 1 teaspoon of jam.
- Bake 9-11 minutes, or just until the edges firm up. They should still be a little soft. Allow to cool on pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- For the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar, cream and vanilla. Then drizzle over the cookies once they have cooled. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!