This healthy strawberry banana smoothie is the perfect way to welcome the new year! It only takes 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make. It’s the perfect drink to curb those sweet cravings!
Anyone else trying to eat a little better this year? I definitely ate my fair share of holiday desserts, so now I’m trying to clean up my eating and limit my treats. Healthy smoothies have been my go-to option for whenever I’m craving something sweet!
We love to make all different types of smoothie combinations, but the flavor combo in this strawberry and banana smoothie is one of my absolute favorites. It’s sweet, thick and super creamy and refreshing. It makes a great breakfast, afternoon snack or even midnight dessert. Plus it’s family-friendly too…everyone in my whole family loves it!
- Milk: Any type will work. Try using regular, coconut, almond or even oat milk.
- Strawberries: I used frozen sliced strawberries. I always keep a bag in my freezer because they are super convenient. I love using these in my smoothies because they blend up so easily. They’re also naturally very sweet and taste so refreshing.
- Banana: I love to use a frozen banana for an extra thick and creamy texture. I’m telling you, it seriously reminds me of a milkshake!
- Flax seed or chia seeds: Add these for an extra boost of healthy fat and nutrients. You won’t even taste them!
- Honey: I usually add in a spoonful or two of honey to help boost the sweet flavor. The smoothie is naturally sweet on it’s own, so it would still taste delicious without the honey too.
How to make a strawberry banana smoothie
- COMBINE. Add all of the ingredients in the bottom of the blender. I like to use 1 Tablespoon of honey at first, then add more to taste later on if needed.
- BLEND. Blend on high until the texture is smooth and creamy. If you need to thin it out a little, pour in more milk. To make it thicker, add in more frozen strawberries.
- SERVE. Pour into glasses and serve with a straw!
This strawberry smoothie recipe is really easy to customize. If you want to add in some greens, feel free to add a cup of spinach (note it will change the color). If you need a little more protein, add in a scoop of protein powder. You can also substitute the milk with almond milk or greek yogurt.
- Protein powder
- Greek yogurt
- Fruit juice
- Ice (if using fresh strawberries)
Tips for the perfect smoothie
- Frozen fruit. I prefer to use frozen fruit because it makes the consistency extra creamy and thick. When you use fresh fruit with ice, the consistency can get a little watery and seedy. If using fresh fruit, you may want to add both ice and little Greek yogurt to get that perfect creamy texture.
- Add milk first. Pour the milk in the blender first before adding any of the other ingredients. This makes it easier to blend all of the ingredients together.
- Servings. This recipes makes enough for my 3 kids and I, however it would probably only serve 2 adults. If you want to double the recipe, I would make one batch and then the other right after. If you add too much frozen fruit to the blender, I find it doesn’t blend as well. The perfect amount seems to be around 2-3 cups.
- Toppings. Don’t forget the toppings! I love topping mine with fresh strawberries and bananas, as well as granola, coconut flakes and extra chia seeds. The added toppings really take it over the top!
More smoothie recipes to try:
- Berry protein smoothie
- Best green smoothie
- Peanut butter banana smoothie
- Kale berry smoothie
- Acai smoothie
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed , or chia seeds
- 1-2 Tablespoons honey , to taste
For extra protein: Add vanilla protein powder or collagen
- Combine the milk, strawberries, banana, flaxseed and 1 Tablespoon honey in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more honey if needed. Add more milk if you need to thin it out, or more strawberries if you'd like it thicker.
- Serve and enjoy!