Strawberry crumb bars made with an easy crumb crust, strawberry filling and buttery crumb topping. The perfect summer dessert!
Growing up we went to San Diego every other year as kids. One of our favorite activities in Carlsbad (besides going to the beach) was going strawberry picking. The strawberries were better than any I had ever tasted. We’d get a big bucket and bring it to the beach for snacking on. I just found a place not far from us that let’s you come pick strawberries, so last weekend we went strawberry picking as a family. The kids had such a great time. My two year old had a hard time with the concept, as she wanted to eat every one she picked. When we got home we made a big batch of homemade strawberry jam and then the next day we made these strawberry crumb bars. I’m thinking strawberry pie needs to be next. ;)
The taste of fresh picked strawberries seriously cannot be beat. I stored the bulk of them in our outdoor fridge and I kept catching my two year sneak in there every time we were in the garage. Then I’d find little green leaves everywhere around the house. Thinking I may need to invest in some locks because she ends up leaving it a crack open.
These strawberry bars are so easy to make and bursting with strawberry flavor. The crumb topping reminds me of something you’d put on top of a cobbler, but a little more thick. More like a shortbread, than a crumble once baked. I like to bake my strawberry crumb bars in a 9×9 pan. I usually line it with parchment paper, so I can easily take out the bars once they’re cooled. It’s hard to wait, and I usually end up sneaking a bite before then, because they are so yummy.
Strawberry crumb bars
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter cubed
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter with a fork or pastry cutter, until the butter is the size of peas. Stir in the egg and vanilla, until the dough is crumbly. Place half the mixture into the pan and pat until firm.
- Combine the strawberries, sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Layer on top of the crumb mixture. Then sprinkle the remaining crumbs over top the strawberries.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden. Cool completely, then slice into 9 or 18 bars.
Adapted from Flavor Mosaic
Hope you enjoy!
Looking for more strawberry desserts? You’ll love these: