This strawberry rhubarb crisp is filled with fresh strawberries and rhubarb and topped with a delicious, flaky crumble. The best strawberry dessert that’s tastes amazing with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
If you’re a fan of apple crisps in the fall, then you are going to love this strawberry rhubarb crisp for the summer! Whenever we go strawberry picking, it’s one of my favorite desserts to make with all the fresh strawberries. It has amazing flavor and is the perfect light and refreshing summer dessert.
I love summer time and all of the delicious berry desserts. One of my family’s favorite summer treats to make is this strawberry rhubarb crisp (crumble). Rhubarb’s prime time is May-August, right around when strawberries are ripe and they go perfectly together in desserts! If you’ve never tried rhubarb before, it almost looks like celery but it is red. It definitely has a tart flavor, and I don’t think I would eat it on it’s own. However paired with strawberries and sugar, it tastes so yummy! ;)
How to make strawberry rhubarb crisp
Fruit layer. Dice the strawberries and rhubarb into 1/2″ pieces. Then add to a 10-inch cast iron skillet or pie plate. Pour the lemon juice over the fruit, then sprinkle sugar and cornstarch on top. Toss until coated.
Crumble layer. Add the flour, sugars and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Stir in the melted butter and salt with a fork, until the mixture begins to crumble. Add the crumble layer on top of the fruit layer.
Bake in oven. Place the skillet or pie plate on a baking sheet, then bake in oven at 375°F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly.
This strawberry rhubarb crisp is best served warm with the following:
- Don’t skip out on the lemon zest! It adds so much flavor and helps brighten the dessert.
- If you like cinnamon, feel free to sprinkle some into the flour crumble layer.
- The rhubarb has a tart flavor, so feel free to use a little more or less depending on your preference. Simply adjust the amount of strawberries you use.
- Make sure to put your skillet or pie plate on a baking sheet before putting it in the oven. The fruit mixture gets bubbly and can sometimes leak over the edges.
- Let the dessert sit for a few minutes before serving, so that the fruit can set and isn’t runny.
- This dish is best served warm in the first 2 days after cooking.
More fresh strawberry desserts:
- Strawberry crumb bars
- Fresh strawberry pie
- Strawberry shortcake biscuits
- No-bake strawberry icebox cake
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
- 3 cups strawberries , diced
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb , chopped in 1/2" pieces
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
For the topping:
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , almost melted
- pinch of salt
For serving (optional): ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the strawberries and rhubarb in the base of a 10-inch cast iron skillet or pie plate. Pour the lemon juice over the top. Then sprinkle the sugar and cornstarch over top and toss until coated.
- Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar and lemon zest in a medium size bowl. Stir the melted butter and salt in with a fork, until it turns to crumbles.
- Spread the crumbles over top of the strawberry rhubarb. Place skillet or pie plate on a baking sheet. Then bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.