These Hawaiian haystacks are a family favorite dinner that’s easy, inexpensive and completely customizable. Made in the crockpot and perfect for busy weeknights.
Table of Contents
Quick and Easy Hawaiian Haystacks
If you’re looking for a simple weeknight dinner the whole family will love, this Hawaiian haystacks recipe is it! It’s an easy crockpot meal that requires hardly any work. Other favorites are my easy meatball subs, sloppy joe’s, goulash and slow cooker ranch chicken tacos.
Hawaiian haystacks are always a favorite around our house! They’re super easy, inexpensive and are completely customizable. I grew up eating them, so they’re definitely a nostalgic family dish. We love to create a buffet-style toppings bar, so that everyone can easily add the toppings that they want. It’s a fun way to serve the meal and makes it super easy to assemble.
My favorite part about this recipe is that the bulk of the meal cooks in the crockpot. Simply throw it all in the slow cooker and enjoy! This is the perfect recipe for busy nights. It’s so easy and yummy!
What are Hawaiian Haystacks?
If you’ve never heard of a Hawaiian haystack before, it’s simply a dish that contains a rice base and is topped with a protein (such as chicken), a sauce/gravy, and other various toppings like pineapple, mandarin oranges, diced tomatoes, olives, Chinese noodles, celery and cheese. It’s a dish that’s convenient, inexpensive and can be assembled in a buffet-style manner.
How to Make Hawaiian Haystacks
This recipe is SO simple and one of our go-to easy weeknight meals. I love that the chicken is made in the slow cooker, which makes this dish even more convenient. Just follow the simple steps below to get started.
- Cook in crockpot. Add chicken to bottom of crockpot, then pour chicken broth, soup, onion and seasonings on top. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shred chicken. Once chicken is cooked through, shred and add back to sauce. Keep on low while you prepare the rice.
- Cook rice. Cook rice according to package directions.
- Assemble and serve. Pour sauce over rice and add toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Below are some of our favorite toppings to add. You could even add green onions, shredded carrots or avocado for more flavor.
- Shredded cheese
- Chinese noodles
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped peppers
- Wonton strips
- Mini pineapples
- Mandarin oranges
- Sliced olives
- Chopped celery
- Can use precooked rice for convenience. I get mine from Trader Joe’s in the frozen section.
- If making rice on the stove, feel free to sub chicken broth for water for even more flavor. You could even make a rice pilaf.
- Make it low carb and serve over cauliflower rice if preferred.
- If you want to make a sauce from scratch, check out this recipe. This is a great option if you’d rather not use the cream of chicken soup.
- Dice up any toppings in advance! That way everything is ready to go once dinner time comes around.
More Easy Crockpot Meals
Hawaiian Haystacks Recipe
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken
- 1 Tablespoon onion (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 cup rice
- Salt & pepper to taste
Optional Toppings: Shredded cheese, Chinese noodles, diced tomatoes, chopped peppers, mini pineapples, mandarin oranges, sliced olives, chopped celery
- Place chicken in crockpot. Pour chicken broth, soup, onion and seasonings over chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked, shred and add back to crockpot with sauce. Keep on low setting while you prepare the rice.
- Cook rice according to package directions (can substitute chicken broth for water for more flavor).
- Pour sauce over rice and add desired toppings. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!