A tried and true family favorite recipe that takes just 4 ingredients and 5 minutes to prep! Quick, easy and healthy. These ranch chicken tacos are so juicy, tender and full of flavor!
Table of Contents
Easy Chicken Ranch Tacos
This ranch chicken taco recipe has to be added to your weeknight dinner rotation ASAP! It’s perfect for Taco Tuesday and is such an easy, quick and healthy meal that’s made with just 4 ingredients. Plus the whole dish is made in the crockpot, so it does all the work for you, just like my favorite crockpot crack chicken recipe!
The slow cooker ranch chicken cooks to perfection and is so tender and juicy. The flavor is absolutely addicting! Just like my Mexican crockpot chicken it tastes delicious in any taco shell, corn tortilla or flour tortilla. We also love to use it in shredded chicken taco salad, creamy chicken enchiladas, chicken taquitos, sheet pan nachos or even on top of a baked potato. So many delicious possibilities!
These chicken ranch tacos are an easy slow cooker recipe for dinner and are completely addicting. The meat has so much flavor and is so tender and delicious, we love to use the leftovers in sheet pan quesadillas! You can even freeze leftovers, too, and pull them out for an easy freezer meal on a busy weeknight!
4 Simple Ingredients
One of the things that I love most about these tacos is that they require only 4 ingredients (not counting water). Check them out below.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts are best to use for this recipe. The meat is tender, lean and super easy to shred.
- Taco seasoning: Buy a packet from the store or make your own homemade taco seasoning.
- Ranch seasoning: Make sure to use the DRY ranch dressing mix that comes in a packet. You won’t get the same result with the liquid ranch salad dressing.
- Garlic: Minced garlic helps kick the flavor up a notch. Learn how to mince garlic using a few different methods.
How to Make Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken
- Add chicken. Place chicken in slow cooker and set temperature to low.
- Combine. Whisk together water, taco seasoning, ranch seasoning mix and garlic in a small bowl, then pour oven chicken.
- Cook. Cover and cook for 4 to 6 hours, or until the meat is tender and can be easily shredded.
- Shred. Shred with 2 forks and then drain any excess liquid if needed.
Instant Pot Method
For a quicker alternative, you can also make this recipe in the Instant Pot. Simply add all of the ingredients to the pot, then secure the lid and seal the valve. Cook on high pressure for 17 minutes. Allow to release naturally for 5 minutes and then do a quick release. Then shred the meat using two forks.
Assembling Ranch Chicken Tacos
Once the crockpot chicken is ready, you can begin to assemble your tacos. Serve in tortillas (flour or corn depending on preference), then add all of your favorite toppings. We love to add shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped red onions, a squeeze of lime and a drizzle of my favorite cilantro lime dressing or ranch dressing. So yummy!
Tips and Variations
- Creamy version. For creamy chicken ranch tacos, you can add in an 8 ounce block of cream cheese (don’t add it until the end though). Cook and then shred the meat, then add the cream cheese block on top and cover and cook for additional 30 minutes. Remove lid, stir until combined and then serve!
- Cut recipe in half. If you want to make a smaller batch, simply cut the recipe in half and cook on low in crockpot until tender.
- Flavor. If you like heat, add in a dash of hot sauce or a pinch of red pepper flakes. You could also mix in some fresh lime juice for a hint of citrus flavor.
- Broth. Use chicken broth in place of water for a little more flavor.
- Low carb. Swap the tortillas for lettuce wraps and serve with fresh pico de gallo, avocado and your favorite dressing. An easy low carb substitution!
How to Freeze Crockpot Ranch Chicken
This crock pot ranch chicken freezes great! I like to make a big batch and freeze half for leftovers. Then when I’m in a pinch for dinner, I can easily thaw and make whichever Mexican dish I’m craving.
Just place in a zip top bag and squeeze out any air. It will keep in the freezer for about 3 to 4 months. To thaw, place in fridge overnight or set at room temperature for a few hours until no longer frozen. You can also run the bag under warm water for a quicker thawing method.
Sure. If using frozen chicken, simply add an extra 1-2 hours to the total cook time so that the meat cooks all the way through.
Yes! Just make sure the taco seasoning and ranch dressing mix specifies that they’re both gluten-free on the package. Sometimes gluten can be sneaky! Then serve in corn tortillas or your favorite gluten-free tortillas.
More Dinner FavoritesBrowse all
Ranch Chicken Tacos
- 6 large chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons dry ranch seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic , minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- ¼ cup water
For serving: Tortillas or taco shells, Lettuce, Diced tomatoes, Chopped red onion, Lime wedges, Cilantro lime dressing
- In a slow cooker with temperature set to low, place chicken. In a small bowl, whisk together the water, taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, and garlic. Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook 4 to 6 hours, or until the meat shreds easily.
- Using 2 forks, shred chicken and drain any excess liquid, if needed. Serve in tortilla shells with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!