A tried and true family favorite recipe that takes just 4 ingredients and 5 minutes to prep! Quick, easy and healthy. This crockpot ranch chicken is so juicy, tender and full of flavor!
These chicken tacos are so easy to make and are completely addicting. The whole family will love this recipe. It also makes a great freezer meal! Add these to your Taco Tuesday rotation, as well as chicken tinga tacos, shredded beef tacos, carnitas tacos, taco lettuce wraps and fajita tacos.
This shredded chicken taco recipe has to be added to your weeknight dinner rotation ASAP! It’s such an easy, quick and healthy meal that’s made with just 4 ingredients. Plus it’s made in the crockpot, so it does all the work for you!
The slow cooker ranch chicken cooks to perfection and is so tender and juicy. The flavor is absolutely addicting…seriously so yummy! It tastes delicious in any taco shell, corn tortilla or flour tortilla. We also love to use it in taco salads, enchiladas, quesadillas, nachos or even on top of a baked potato. So many delicious possibilities!
One of the things that I love most about these tacos is that they require only 4 ingredients! Check them out below.
- Chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- Dry ranch seasoning
- Minced garlic
Note: For creamy shredded chicken tacos, you can add an 8 oz block of cream cheese (don’t add it until the end though!). Once the meat has cooked for 4 to 6 hours until tender, shred and add back to crockpot. Add cream cheese block on top, cover and cook for additional 30 minutes. Remove lid, stir until combined and then serve!
How to make slow cooker chicken tacos
- Place chicken in slow cooker and set temperature to low.
- Whisk together water, taco seasoning, ranch seasoning and garlic in a small bowl, then pour oven chicken.
- Cover and cook for 4 to 6 hours, until chicken is tender and can be easily shredded.
- Shred with 2 forks and then drain any excess liquid if needed. Serve in tortilla shells with your favorite toppings.
Instant pot/pressure cooker version
Add all ingredients to instant pot, then secure lid and seal the valve. Cook on high pressure for 17 minutes. Allow to release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release. Shred chicken, then serve!
Can you freeze leftovers?
Yes, this crockpot ranch chicken freezes very well! Just place in a zip top bag and squeeze out any air. It will keep in the freezer for about 3 to 4 months. To thaw, place in fridge overnight or set at room temperature for a few hours until no longer frozen.
- Shredded lettuce
- Salsa (red, salsa verde, mango salsa, pineapple salsa)
- Pico de Gallo
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Sour cream
- Chopped onions
- Black beans
- Lime juice
- Dressings like cilantro lime dressing or chipotle dressing
Other ways to serve
This slow cooker ranch chicken is SO versatile! Below are a few of our favorite ways to serve it. I like to make a big batch and freeze half for leftovers. Then when I’m in a pinch for dinner, I can easily thaw and make whichever dish I’m craving.
Salad: For a healthy meal, serve over lettuce and add fresh pico and a cilantro lime ranch dressing.
Burrito: This chicken is perfect to use when making homemade burritos. It adds such great flavor.
Nachos: We love using it to make nachos in the skillet or bake on a sheet pan.
Quesadillas: Quesadillas are one of my favorite lunches! Using leftover shredded chicken makes it so, so easy!
Shredded Chicken Taco Recipe
- 6 large chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons dry ranch seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic (or 2 teaspoons minced garlic)
- 1/4 cup water
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Set temperature to low.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water, taco seasoning, ranch seasoning and garlic. Then pour over the chicken. Cover and cook for 4 to 6 hours or until it shreds easily.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks and then drain excess liquid if needed. Serve in tortilla shells with your favorite toppings.