Homemade 4th of July cookies stand out amongst the dessert crowd! Decorated in red, white, and blue M&Ms, these soft and chewy cookies are a delicious addition to your festive dessert table!
Table of Contents
These red white and blue cookies are soft, chewy, and made similar to my M&M cookies but with the simple swap of patriotic M&Ms. In every bite, you’ll get the perfect ratio of cookie to candy chocolate along with a nice chewy center and a crispy edge. They’re truly irresistible!
Baking cookies is an easy treat to whip up in minutes and a fun way to get your kids in the kitchen. This recipe requires the use of just one bowl and spoon, so it’s simple enough for even the youngest bakers. There is nothing better than the mouthwatering aroma of freshly baked homemade cookies, but when you’re making fourth of July cookies, well, that just makes life a little extra sweet!
Have a few extra M&Ms? Make use of them in these red white and blue rice krispies or M&M brownies and you’ll have one more 4th of July dessert to add to your celebration. They make the perfect addition to a s’mores charcuterie board!
Why we Love this Recipe
- They’re easy enough for even the newest bakers!
- These festive cookies are always a hit and make a statement.
- Customizable to any occasion based on the colors of your M&Ms.
- These cookies are freezer-friendly for months.
- Make a double batch to keep for later or share with a friend.
- Kids love them for not only desserts but a quick snack as well.
Tips & Variations for Making 4th of July Cookies
- Refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 15 minutes if you can. It’s not absolutely necessary but it will keep the cookies from spreading a bit.
- Do not overmix. You want to just gently fold the dough by the time you add in the M&Ms and chocolate chips that way you keep the consistency soft and chewy.
- Use a Silpat baking mat for nonstick, easy cleanup.
- A large cookie scoop is ideal for getting each cookie the same size. Uniform sizes not only present nicely, but it makes for even baking.
- Just before baking, place some extra M&Ms or chocolate chips (or both) into the top of the cookie for a pop of added color and cuteness. If you forget, you can actually do this as soon as they come out of the oven as well.
Do I Need to Melt the Butter?
I use barely room temperature butter which gives me flexibility on how long I chill my dough. If you are using melted butter, you will definitely NEED to chill your dough for a minimum of 1 hour. Otherwise, your cookies will likely come out flatter and crispier but if that’s your thing, go for it.
Can I Use this Cookie Recipe for Other Occasions?
Yes, please do! This versatile recipe is perfect for any occasion! Christmas M&M cookies are an example of using red and green. Think pink and red for Valentine M&M cookies or rainbow for a birthday party! Only green for St Patrick’s Day or orange for Halloween. See, there really is no limit!
For a fun and festive DIY cookie-making activity, set out all the M&Ms and have the kids add their own!
Storing & Freezing
- To store: Any leftovers should be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can keep them covered on the counter the day you make them, just make sure to transfer them into the fridge before you go to bed at night.
- To freeze: Once completely cooled, place in a freezer-friendly bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Delicious M&M Desserts
4th of July Cookies
Optional: Sprinkles (stars would be fun)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Mix for 1 minute, or until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix just until combined. Next add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s. Refrigerate dough for 15 to 60 minutes if time allows.
- Using a large cookie scoop (about 3 Tablespoons), scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place extra chocolate chips or M&M’s on the top of the cookies if desired.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are barely golden brown. Allow cookies to set on pan for 2-3 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack to cool.
- Once the cookies are cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!