Thick, chewy, soft baked cookies filled with peanut butter, oats and double the chocolate. These monster cookies are easy to make and super delicious to eat!
Peanut Butter Lover Cookie
When it comes to homemade cookie recipes, these are definitely one of the best out there. They are super soft and chewy and taste like a mix between a peanut butter M&M cookie and an oatmeal cookie. Yum!
This recipe comes from my friend Maria’s Two Peas & Their Pod Cookbook. This book is my new favorite and the cookie section alone is worth it. She also shares 115 other delicious recipes that you do not want to miss!
I’ve tested a lot of monster cookies over the years and this recipe is definitely my favorite! They are perfectly soft and chewy, with a thick texture. Plus, they’re loaded with chocolate chips and M&M’s. Any cookie is better with double the chocolate, right?!
This recipe is also great for peanut butter lovers. They have the perfect hint of peanut butter flavor, without having a super overwhelming peanut butter taste (which I like). You know the cookies are going to be good when you can’t help but sneaking the dough. The cookie dough is SO yummy! Shhh…
How to make monster cookies
- MIX. Whisk together oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl. In a separate large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until creamy. Then add in peanut butter and beat for an additional minute. Stir in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. Slowly stir in the oat mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s, reserving some for tops. If desired, add in pretzel pieces.
- SCOOP. Using a large cookie scoop, scoop dough onto a lined baking sheet (about 2 inches apart). Then press down lightly on the dough balls with the palm of your hand. Add the reserved M&M’s and/or chocolate chips to the tops.
- BAKE. Bake at 350°F until the edges are lightly browned, about 10-11 minutes. Let sit on baking sheet for about 3-5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining dough. Enjoy!
Baking tips and tricks
- Make sure to use old fashioned rolled oats – they give the cookies that perfect chewy texture.
- Use regular creamy peanut butter, not the natural or crunchy kind. I like to use Jiff or Skippy.
- Add additional M&M’s and chocolate chips on top of cookie dough balls before baking.
- Use holiday M&M’s to make the cookies more festive.
- Add in chopped pretzels for a sweet and salty combo. I like to add some on top too.
- They should look a little underdone in middle when removing from oven (they’ll continue baking on pan).
- Add a sprinkle of maldon salt on top of the cooked cookies to boost the flavor even more.
Storing + freezing
- Storage: Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Place in a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw in fridge overnight or set on counter for a few hours until no longer frozen.
Giant monster cookies
Turn into MEGA monster cookies by forming the dough into about 16 large round balls (1/3 cup of dough). Then bake an additional 2-3 minutes in the oven. This is how Maria suggests making them. I made a few of mine that way and they were just like you would pick up from the bakery. Super thick and delicious. However I find using a large cookie scoop is the perfect amount for my family.
You could even turn these into true monster cookies by adding candy eyeballs (below). How cute are these?! Such a fun Halloween dessert that’s perfect to bring to parties. Both adults and kids love them!
More delicious cookie recipes:
- Best M&M Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Trail Mix Cookies
- Chocolate M&M Cookies
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M's candies (reserve some for tops)
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (reserve some for tops)
- 1 cup chopped pretzels (optional)
Optional: Maldon sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until creamy. Then add the peanut butter and beat an additional minute. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. Slowly mix in the oat mixture and mix just until combined.
- Stir in the M&M's and chocolate chips, reserving some for the tops if desired. Add the pretzels if desired.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Lightly press down on the dough balls with the palm of your hand. Add additional M&M's and/or chocolate chips to the tops.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow cookies to sit on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!