Monster Cookies – Thick, chewy, soft baked cookies filled with peanut butter, oats and double the chocolate. These monster cookies are easy to make and super delicious to eat!
When it comes to homemade cookie recipes, monster cookies are definitely one of the best out there. They are super soft and chewy and taste like a mix between an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, M&M cookie and peanut butter cookie. Seriously so yummy!
Soft monster cookies
This recipe comes from my friend Maria’s Two Peas & Their Pod Cookbook. This book is my new favorite and the cookie section alone is worth it. She also shares 115 other delicious recipes that you do not want to miss!
I’ve tested a lot of monster cookies over the years and this recipe is definitely my favorite! These monster cookies are perfectly soft and chewy, with a thick texture. Plus, they’re loaded with chocolate chips AND M&M’s. Any cookie is better with double the chocolate, right?!
This monster cookie recipe is also great for peanut butter lovers. They have the perfect hint of peanut butter flavor, without having a super overwhelming peanut butter taste (which I like). You know the cookies are going to be good when you can’t help but sneaking the dough. The cookie dough is SO yummy! Shhh…
How to make monster cookies
Step 1: Preheat oven and prepare baking sheet
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
Step 2: Combine dry ingredients
Whisk together oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
Step 3: Combine wet ingredients
Beat together the butter and sugars in a large bowl until creamy. Then add in peanut butter and beat for an additional minute. Stir in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. Slowly stir in the oat mixture and mix just until combined.
Stir in chocolate chips and M&M’s, reserving some for tops. If desired, add in pretzel pieces.
Step 4: Scoop dough onto baking sheet
Using a large cookie scoop, scoop dough onto baking sheet (about 2 inches apart). Then press down lightly on the dough balls with the palm of your hand. Add the reserved M&M’s and/or chocolate chips to the tops.
Step 5: Bake the monster cookies
Bake monster cookies until the edges are lightly browned, about 10-11 minutes. Let sit on baking sheet for about 3-5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining dough. Enjoy!
Baking tips and tricks
- Make sure to use old fashioned rolled oats – they give the monster cookies that perfect chewy texture.
- Use a large cookie scoop to evenly scoop out the cookie dough into equal sizes.
- Add additional M&M’s and chocolate chips on top of cookie dough balls before baking.
- Add in chopped pretzels for a sweet and salty combo. I like to add some on top too.
- Cookies should look a little underdone in middle when removing from oven (they’ll continue baking on pan).
- Storage: Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Place in a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Giant monster cookies
Turn into MEGA monster cookies by forming the dough into about 16 large round balls (1/3 cup of dough). Then bake an additional 2-3 minutes in the oven. This is how Maria suggests making them.
I made a few of my peanut butter oatmeal cookies that way and they were just like you would pick up from the bakery. However I find using a large cookie scoop is the perfect amount for my family.
Halloween monster cookies
You could even turn these into true monster cookies by adding candy eyeballs (below). How cute are these?! They are so fun and festive for Halloween parties. Both adults and kids love them!
More delicious cookie recipes:
- World’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Super Soft Sugar Cookies
Monster Cookie Recipe
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M's candies , reserve some for tops
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips , reserve some for tops
- 1 cup chopped pretzels , optional
Optional: Maldon sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until creamy. Then add the peanut butter and beat an additional minute. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. Slowly mix in the oat mixture and mix just until combined.
- Stir in the M&M's and chocolate chips, reserving some for the tops if desired. Add the pretzels if desired.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Lightly press down on the dough balls with the palm of your hand. Add additional M&M's and/or chocolate chips to the tops.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow cookies to sit on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining dough.