A super moist jello poke cake topped with whipped cream and fresh berries. Takes only 5 ingredients to make and can be used with any flavor or gelatin!
Table of Contents
Easy Strawberry Jello Cake
There’s something about chilled desserts in the summer time that can’t be beat. They’re refreshing, delicious and make the perfect treat. This strawberry jello cake recipe is a favorite, as well as strawberry icebox cake, better than anything cake and Oreo ice cream cake.
I remember my grandma making this dessert when I was a little girl and I always loved poking the top of the cake before she poured the jello in. It’s a super easy cake recipe (in the same ballpark as a dump cake) and is perfect for when you need a last minute dessert.
The best thing about it is that it can be made using your favorite flavor of jello. My personal favorite to use is strawberry. It’s always a hit with my family, especially topped with fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream.
How to Make Jello Poke Cake
- Bake: To get started, mix the cake batter and then bake according to package directions. Remove from oven and let cool slightly, then poke holes all over the top with a meat fork or butter knife (photo 3).
- Pour jello over the top: Next mix together jello with hot water (photo 1). Stir until completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Then add cold water and stir for 1 minute (photo 2). Pour jello mixture evenly over the cake (photo 4), then chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Add whipped topping: Once the it has cooled completely, spread the whipped cream on top with a spatula. I like to make my own homemade whipped cream, but cool whip works too.
- Chill, top and serve! Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve. Top with fresh berries or sprinkles just before serving.
The beauty of this recipe is that it will work with any flavor of jello! My personal favorite to use is strawberry, but any flavor would taste amazing. Below are a few delicious variation ideas:
- Cherry: White mix, cherry jello and whipped cream with cherry pie filling on top
- Lemon poke cake: Lemon mix, lemon jello and whipped cream with lemon zest on top
- Raspberry: White mix, raspberry jello and whipped cream with fresh raspberries on top
- Orange: White mix, orange jello and whipped cream with mandarin oranges and orange zest on top
- I used a box of cake mix for convenience, but you can absolutely make your own homemade vanilla cake mix from scratch.
- My preference for frosting is whipped cream, but cool whip tastes great too. Both are light and airy!
- Make sure the cake is completely cool before adding the whipped topping (or else it will melt).
- Decorate with fresh fruit, sprinkles or leave plain with just the topping.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just make sure to cover with a lid or plastic wrap.
Storing, Freezing + Make Ahead
Does it need to be refrigerated? Yes, this dessert is best served cold. It needs to be chilled for at least an hour before serving to allow the jello to soak into the cake. Make sure to cover and keep refrigerated until serving.
Can you make it ahead of time? Absolutely, it’s the perfect make-ahead dessert. You could easily make it the day before and let it chill in the fridge overnight.
Can you freeze it? Sure. I’d recommend freezing it without the whipped topping. Simply wrap with plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag or container. Store in freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to enjoy, thaw and top with whipped cream or cool whip.
4th of July Poke Cake
Need a fun 4th of July dessert to make this year? This treat can easily be decorated with fresh berries to look like an American flag. Here’s how to make it.
- Spread the whipped cream on top once it has cooled.
- Place about 1/2 cup fresh blueberries in the top left corner.
- Remove the stems of 15 fresh strawberries. Then slice vertically. Create 3-4 rows of strawberry slices, starting at the top and working your way down.
Love using cake mix in desserts? Try out my cake pop recipe and cake mix cookies.
More Easy Cake Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Jello Poke Cake
- 1 (15-ounce) box super moist French vanilla cake mix , plus ingredients listed on box
- 1 (3-ounce) box Jello , any flavor (I used strawberry)
- 1 cup hot water
- ¾ cup cold water
- 2-3 cups homemade whipped cream , or Cool Whip
- Fresh berries , for topping
- Make the cake mix (and additional ingredients needed) according to package directions. Bake according to the package instructions. Remove the oven and let cool slightly. Using a meat fork or a butter knife, poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- In a large bowl, stir together the Jello and hot water 2 minutes, or until completely dissolved. Stir in the cold water 1 minute more. Pour mixture evenly over cake. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, spread the whipped cream evenly over the top.
- Store in the refrigerator until serving. Top with fresh berries just before slicing.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I make a packet of vanilla instant Pudding and fold it together with cool whip. And another variation I use is chocolate cake mix with cherry jello, and instead of cold water in the jello I mix a cup of cherry coke. My kids love it!!
Yum, sounds so delicious! Great ideas Amber :)
Yes I made it and my family loved it I made it with strawberry jello I’m making it a regular now
So happy to hear that! Thanks for your comment, Bernice :)
This cake was the best and my 4 kids loved it so much we made it so many times ! Thank you for sharing this recipe with the whole world !
With love ,
This makes me so happy to hear, Katelynne! Thank you for sharing :) I’m so glad your kids loved it!
I would like to make this for Christmas. Can you use red and green Jello?
Hi Josie! Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, you can use any flavor of Jello in this recipe. :)
Made the Chocolate Cupcake recipe and it was very moist. Delicious cupcakes the best I have ever tasted!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! :)
Can I make my own cake? Don’t like cake in a box.
Yes, of course! :)
Love how easy and delicious this cake is! Definitely one of my kid’s favorites!
So easy and yummy, it’s perfect for whipping up on a time crunch!