A super moist jello poke cake topped with whipped cream and fresh berries. Takes only 5 ingredients to make and can be used with any flavor or gelatin!
There’s something about chilled desserts in the summer time that can’t be beat. They’re refreshing, delicious and make the perfect treat. This recipe is a favorite, as well as strawberry icebox cake, better than anything cake and Oreo ice cream cake.
Strawberry jello cake
I remember my grandma making this dessert when I was a little girl and I always loved poking the top of the cake before she poured the jello in. It’s a super easy cake recipe and is perfect for when you need a last minute dessert.
The best thing about this recipe is that it can be made using your favorite flavor of jello. My personal favorite to use is strawberry. It’s always a hit with my family, especially topped with fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream.
How to make jello poke cake
- Bake: To get started, mix the cake batter and then bake according to package directions. Remove from oven and let cool slightly, then poke holes all over the top with a meat fork or butter knife (photo 3).
- Pour jello over the top: Next mix together jello with hot water (photo 1). Stir until completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Then add cold water and stir for 1 minute (photo 2). Pour jello mixture evenly over the cake (photo 4), then chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Add whipped topping: Once the it has cooled completely, spread the whipped cream on top with a spatula. I like to make my own homemade whipped cream, but cool whip works too.
- Chill, top and serve! Cover and store in the fridge until read to serve. Top with fresh berries or sprinkles just before serving.
The beauty of this recipe is that it will work with any flavor of jello! My personal favorite to use is strawberry, but any flavor would taste amazing. Below are a few delicious variation ideas:
- Cherry: White mix, cherry jello and whipped cream with cherry pie filling on top
- Lemon jello cake: Lemon mix, lemon jello and whipped cream with lemon zest on top
- Raspberry: White mix, raspberry jello and whipped cream with fresh raspberries on top
- Orange jello cake: White mix, orange jello and whipped cream with mandarin oranges and orange zest on top
Does recipe need to be refrigerated? Yes, this dessert is best served cold. It needs to be chilled for at least an hour before serving to allow the jello to soak into the cake. Make sure to cover and keep refrigerated until serving.
Can you make ahead of time? Absolutely. This jello cake recipe is the perfect make-ahead dessert. You could easily make it the day before and let it chill in the fridge overnight.
Can you freeze? Sure. I’d recommend freezing the cake without the whipped topping. Simply wrap cake with plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag or container. Store in freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to enjoy, thaw and top with whipped cream or cool whip.
More easy cake recipes to try:
Jello Poke Cake Recipe
- 15 ounce box super moist french vanilla cake mix , plus ingredients on box
- 3 ounce box jello , I used strawberry (any flavor will work)
- 1 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2-3 cups homemade whipped cream , or cool whip
Fresh berries for topping
- Mix the batter according to package directions. Bake according to the package directions. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Then poke holes all over the top with a meat fork or butter knife.
- Next mix together the jello with the hot water. Stir for 2 minutes, or until completely dissolved. Then stir in the cold water for 1 minute. Pour evenly over cake. Then refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Once it is completely cooled, spread the whipped cream over top.
- Store in the refrigerator, until serving. Top with fresh berries just before serving.
- You can use any flavor of jello for this recipe. Some of our favorites are strawberry, raspberry, blue raspberry and orange.
- This is the perfect make-ahead dessert. Feel free to make it the day before and let it chill in the fridge overnight.
- To freeze: I'd recommend freezing without the whipped topping. Simply wrap with plastic wrap then place in a freezer bag or container. Store in freezer for up to 1 month. Then when ready to enjoy, thaw and top with whipped cream or cool whip.
Looking for a fun dessert to make for the 4th of July?
4th of July poke cake
This dessert can easily be decorated with fresh berries to look like an American flag cake. Here’s how to make it. It will definitely be a hit at your next 4th of July BBQ!
- Spread the whipped cream on top once it has cooled.
- Place about 1/2 cup fresh blueberries in the top left corner of the cake.
- Remove the stems of 15 fresh strawberries. Then Slice vertically. Create 3-4 rows of strawberry slices, starting at the top and working your way down.