Soft and chewy Valentine M&M cookies filled with gooey chocolate in every bite. This recipe is easy, festive, delicious and the perfect way to celebrate your Valentine!
Table of Contents
Valentine’s Day Cookies with M&M’s
Food is my love language, so when Valentine’s Day rolls around each year, I’m all about gifts from the kitchen. And there’s no better way to show love to your Valentine than with a sweet, soft, chewy, rich, chocolate-filled M&M cookie. The best gift ever!
These Valentine’s Day cookies with M&M’s are adapted from my favorite M&M cookie recipe with a simple swap of regular M&M candies for the pink and red Valentine variety. And I have to say, the simple swap made the cookies so cute and festive!
These cookies are easy to make and are ready to eat in a little under 30 minutes. They have crisp edges with a soft center and have chocolate chips and M&M’s in every bite. They’re great for gift giving and are one of the yummiest Valentine’s Day desserts out there!
These M&M Valentine cookies are easy to make with a chocolate chip cookies base and seasonal candies.
- Butter: Unsalted is best as brands differ in the amount of salt added.
- Sugars: Both brown sugar and granulated sugar are needed for both moisture and crisp edges.
- Eggs: For binding the cookie ingredients.
- All-purpose flour: Spooned and leveled, not packed.
- Baking staples: Pure vanilla extract, baking soda and salt.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: Use your favorite brand.
- Valentine M&M’s: At least one cup, plus more to place on top.
Instead of cookies, use this same recipe to make M&M cookie bars. The sweet and rich flavor is still the same, but served in the shape of thick bars instead. The bars do take a little more time to bake, however the end result is just as delicious!
You can also make mini M&M cookies for a smaller bite. Use mini M&M’s and a small cookie scoop to make them the perfect miniature size!
How to Make Valentine M&M Cookies
- Cream butter and sugar: In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with electric mixer beaters. Mix for 1-2 minutes, or until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix just until combined.
- Mix in remaining ingredients: Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Scoop dough: Using a large cookie scoop (about 3 Tablespoons), scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place any extra chocolate chips or M&M’s on the top of the cookies if desired.
- Bake: Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are barely golden brown. Allow cookies to set on pan for 2-3 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack.
- Measuring your flour correctly is key to a solid cookie. Adding too much flour causes the texture to become dry and crumbly, while not adding enough can cause them to become flat, crisp and brittle. Learn how to measure flour accurately with the spoon and level technique for best results.
- For thick cookies chill the dough for a bit. It gives them a thick and chewy texture so that your cookies don’t spread as easily while they bake. If I have the time, I usually let my dough chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Another trick for thicker cookies is to add in 1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch with the flour. You can also add an extra 2 Tablespoons of flour for even thicker.
- Press extra M&M’s onto the tops for a prettier cookie. You can do this right before baking, or right after the cookies are out of the oven. Either way works great and adds an extra pop up color (and chocolate) to your cookies! If your cookies spread at all while cooking use a spatula right when they come out of the even to press in the edges to form a circle.
Yes, feel free to use any type of holiday M&M’s or original M&M’s in this recipe. Whether it’s Easter, St. Patrick’s Day, Halloween, or these 4th of July cookies or M&M Christmas cookies, this recipe works great for any time of the year!
Yes! Dark chocolate or white chocolate would also be delicious in these M&M Valentine cookies. I love to use a combination of chips in my chocolate chip pudding cookie recipe.
Yes! That would be such a fun addition. Just roll the cookie dough balls in sprinkles before baking your Valentine M&M cookies.
How to Store Valentine M&M Cookies
After the cookies have baked and cooled, they will stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 days.
You may also freeze the baked cookies for up to 3 months or check out my best tips for how to freeze cookie dough before baking.
More Valentines Desserts:
- Valentine Chex Mix
- Sugar Cookies for Valentine’s Day
- Valentine Cake Pops
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Swig cookie recipe
More Easy Cookie RecipesBrowse all
Valentine M&M Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour , spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips , more if desired
- 1 cup Valentine M&M’s , more for tops if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with beaters. Mix for 1-2 minutes, or until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix just until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Using a large cookie scoop (about 3 Tablespoons), scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place any extra chocolate chips or M&M’s on the top of the cookies if desired.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are barely golden brown. Allow cookies to set on pan for 2-3 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!