Rice Krispie Treats – An easy no-fail, no-bake treat that requires only 3 simple ingredients! Gooey, soft and incredibly delicious. This rice krispie treats recipe is perfect to have in your back pocket!
Rice krispies are such a nostalgic treat that are simple and super kid-friendly. My littles love to help me in the kitchen when I’m whipping up a batch. They also love to help me make peanut butter no-bake cookies, cake mix cookies, sugar cookie bars and no-bake cornflake cookies.
Rice krispie treats have to be the easiest dessert ever. When you’re in a pinch, they are one of the best no-bake treats to have in your back pocket. They come together quickly and are both kid and adult friendly. These rice krispy treats are the BEST and the secret is to reserve some of the mini marshmallows for the end.
This no-fail rice krispie treats recipe is so simple and requires only 3 ingredients. I love to whip up a batch or two if I need a quick treat to bring to a get-together. The end result is a gooey, soft and incredibly delicious treat that is loved by all. So easy and yummy!
What ingredients are in Rice Krispie Treats?
This rice krispie treats recipe takes only 3 simple ingredients. Check them out below.
- Mini marshmallows
- Rice krispies cereal
How many cups are in a box of cereal?
There are about 10 to 12 cups of cereal in a 12 ounce box of rice krispies. So to make this rice krispie treats recipe, you’ll only need half a box of cereal. I love to have multiple boxes on hand so that I can easily whip up these rice crispy treats whenever I’m in a pinch! If doubling the recipe, you’ll need a full box of rice krispies.
How to make rice krispie treats
Scroll down for the printable rice krispie treats recipe.
- Line a 9×13″ (or 9×9″ for thicker bars) baking dish with foil and butter. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until they begin to melt.
- Once marshmallows are almost melted, stir in the rice krispies cereal and the extra marshmallows. Mix until completely coated in marshmallow mixture.
- Add mixture to baking dish and push down with a spoon coated in butter or wax paper.
- Let cool completely before cutting. I like to cut my rice krispies with a plastic knife.
How long do rice krispie treats take to harden?
It’s important that you let your rice krispies cool completely and harden a bit before cutting. If you try to cut them while the butter and marshmallows are still warm, they won’t hold their square shape. I usually let them cool for about 30 minutes prior to cutting. You could even stick them in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to speed up the process. I find it works best to cut the rice krispies into squares with a plastic knife. They should stay fresh for up to 3 days.
How to keep rice krispie treats from sticking to pan
My favorite method to keep rice krispie treats from sticking to the pan is to line my baking dish with aluminum, then butter the foil. I like to make sure the foil hangs a little over the edges of the dish, so that I can easily grab it and remove my rice krispies from the pan. Plus it makes the clean up super easy! If you don’t have foil on hand, just make sure you butter your baking dish prior to adding in the rice krispie treats mixture.
Why are my rice krispies treats hard?
There’s nothing worse than a super hard rice krispie treat! You definitely want that gooey and fluffy texture that makes them so delicious. If your rice krispies have hardened too much, it’s most likely because of high heat from the stove or that you used stale marshmallows. Make sure you use fresh marshmallows. The key to making gooey and soft rice krispie treats is to slowly melt the butter and marshmallows over low heat. It may take a little longer, but it will result in a perfectly soft rice krispie treat.
How do you store rice krispie treats?
To keep your rice krispie treats fresh, store in an airtight container or zip top bag. You could even wrap the squares in foil or plastic wrap to eliminate sticking. The rice krispies will keep at room temperature for 1-3 days.
Can I freeze rice krispie treats?
Yes, you can freeze rice krispies. Make sure they have cooled, then individually wrap the squares in foil and place in a zip top freezer bag. Store in freezer for up to 2 months. To defrost the rice krispie treats, simply remove from the freezer and let thaw at room temp for about an hour or so.
Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal (about 1/2 a box)
- Line a 9×13″ (or 9x9" for thick bars) baking dish with foil and butter. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and then add 7-8 cups marshmallows. Once they are almost melted, stir in the rice krispies cereal and remaining 2-3 cups of mini marshmallows. Mix until completely coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Add mixture to baking dish and press down with a spoon coated in butter or wax paper to compact and level out surface.
- Let cool before cutting. I find using a plastic knife to cut the rice krispies works best.
Rice krispie treats variations
Although the classic rice krispies are always a hit, they are also so easy to dress up! We love to make fun variations for the holidays or special occasions. Just add food coloring, sprinkles or extras like M&M’s or chocolate chips. Below are a few of our favorite rice krispie treats variations.
- Fruity pebbles rice krispie treats
- Scotcheroos (peanut butter rice krispie treats topped with chocolate butterscotch ganache)
- Red, white and blue rice krispies
- Clover rice krispies
- Back to school apple rice krispies
- Mickey Mouse Oreo rice krispies