Bruschetta Recipe – Toasted baguette slices topped with a fresh tomato and basil mixture. So delicious and easy to whip up. You’ll be making this homemade bruschetta all summer long!
One of my favorite appetizers to make during the summer is fresh tomato and basil bruschetta. I love growing tomatoes and basil in my garden (and totally bummed we moved, so I don’t have any right now). This recipe is such a great way to use up all your tomatoes. And watch out next week, because I’ll have another recipe to make with this delicious bruschetta that you’ll want to make ASAP!
What is bruschetta?
Bruschetta is an Italian word that means toasted bread with toppings. The classic bruschetta recipe typically includes toasted bread drizzled with olive oil that’s topped with a fresh tomato and basil mixture. It’s SO delicious and is such a quick and easy appetizer to whip up. It’s one of my favorite appetizers to make during the summer!
How to make bruschetta
Combine the tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate to allow the flavors to marinate.
How do you toast bread for bruschetta?
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the french baguette into 1/2 inch slices and lightly brush with olive oil.
- Bake until lightly toasted.
Quick tips for this bruschetta recipe
- Instead of toasting the french baguette slices in the oven, you can easily grill them. Just place baguettes on grill for a couple of minutes on each side (flip when you’re starting to see slightly charred grill marks).
- If gluten free, feel free to use some sort of gluten free bread instead of a french baguette.
- Fresh mozzarella would taste wonderful added in the tomato and basil mixture as well.
- If you’re feeling extra fancy, you can drizzle the bruschetta with a balsamic glaze right before serving.
- Have some tomato and basil mixture leftover? Refrigerate and try adding to a salad the next day!
- Want to make this bruschetta a low carb appetizer? Try using toasted eggplant or zucchini slices in place of the french baguette.
- Want SUPER fresh bread? Try making my easy and delicious homemade french bread recipe.
Love this bruschetta recipe? You’ll like these other easy appetizers too:
Bruschetta Recipe - Toasted baguette slices topped with a fresh tomato and basil mixture. So delicious and easy to whip up. You'll be making this homemade bruschetta all summer long!
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped roma tomatoes (4-5)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3-4 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 1 French baguette
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Combine the tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
Cut the french baguette into 1/2 inch slices. Lightly brush olive oil on the top. Bake until lightly toasted (about 3-5 minutes).
Top bread with bruschetta right before serving. Enjoy!
Want to make your own homemade french bread? Try this delicious recipe and make the loaves longer.
Want to kick it up a notch? Drizzle a balsamic glaze over top!
This bruschetta recipe is SO easy to make and is the perfect appetizer to serve this summer. It is always a hit with friends and family. Enjoy!