Toasted baguette slices topped with a fresh tomato and basil mixture. So delicious and easy to whip up. You’ll be making this homemade bruschetta all summer long!
Table of Contents
Tomato Bruschetta Recipe
Bruschetta is a great way to use up those fresh summer vegetables in the garden. Whenever we have an abundance of tomatoes and basil, it’s one of my favorites to make along with basil pesto, cucumber tomato salad and corn and tomato salad. So fresh and delicious!
One of my favorite appetizers to make during the summer is fresh tomato and basil bruschetta. I love growing tomatoes and basil in my garden and this recipe is the perfect way to use them up. The two flavors taste amazing together and make the perfect light and refreshing snack. I love to make bruschetta when we’re entertaining and grilling out on the patio. It’s always a huge hit!
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta is an Italian word that means toasted bread with toppings. The classic bruschetta recipe typically includes toasted bread drizzled with olive oil that’s topped with a fresh tomato and basil mixture. The flavors meld together and taste super fresh and delicious.
How to Make Bruschetta
In a medium-sized bowl, add the chopped tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic, garlic and basil. Mix until combined. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Store the bruschetta in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to marinate together.
Bread for Serving
I typically serve my bruschetta with a French baguette. The slices are smaller with crusty edges, which makes them perfectly bite-sized. They also toast in the oven pretty quickly. You could definitely use other types like Italian or French bread, however the slices will most likely be larger.
- French baguette
- French bread
- Italian bread
- Garlic bread
Toasting bread in oven
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the baguette into 1/2 inch slices and lightly brush with olive oil.
- Bake until lightly toasted.
Grilling the bread
Place the baguettes on the grill for a few minutes on each side (flip when you’re starting to see slightly charred grill marks).
- Use ripe tomatoes and drain any excess juice after chopping.
- Add fresh mozzarella to make bruschetta caprese. It’s a wonderful addition!
- For more flavor, drizzle with a balsamic glaze right before serving.
- Wait to top the baguette slices with bruschetta until right before serving. You don’t want the bread to get soggy.
- Make bruschetta chicken the next day with leftovers.
More Ways to Use Fresh Tomatoes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped roma tomatoes (about 4-5)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3-4 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 French baguette
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Combine the tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Cut the french baguette into 1/2 inch slices. Lightly brush olive oil on the top. Bake until lightly toasted (about 3-5 minutes).
- Top bread with bruschetta right before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
This was delicious, my husband who is not a big fan of tomatoes loved it. We always have appetizers for New Years and this will be definitely served. It’s a keeper .
I’m so happy to hear it was a hit!
my favorite thing to snack on! if you’ve never had it you need to try this out! So delicious!
These look so yummy! I know we are going to love these!
So yummy! I love these kinds of appetizers. I definitely like to add some mozzarella also a bit of prosciutto as well. :) Oh and I love to add the balsamic right before serving.
Super easy and very good. I use more garlic but I live alone. lol
I’m glad you enjoyed it!
These are perfect party appetizers! Look so good!
I love the tip for grilling the bread! So smart
Hope you enjoy! :)
This looks amazing! I could make this my meal and eat it all!
Such a flavorful and easy snack to quickly whip up! Love it!
I love your tips! I want to try grilling the bread and adding a little mozzarella!