A delicious buffalo chicken sweet potato is loaded with zesty buffalo chicken and topped with your choice of ranch or blue cheese dressing. With only a handful of ingredients, this easy dinner idea is filled to the brim with flavor!
Stuffed sweet potatoes are one of the easiest ways to feed a crowd. They’re super simple to make and the fillings are totally customizable. Whether you make a big batch filled with juicy chicken coated in mouthwatering buffalo sauce or you choose to go with a variation, these irresistible loaded sweet potatoes are simple and satisfying comfort food.
If you’ve ever had the classic loaded baked potato and adore it as much as we do, you definitely need to switch it up once in a while with these healthy buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes. Making them suitable for different dietary needs is easy peasy by using all kinds of different toppings and sauces.
Whether you’re serving a crowd at a BBQ or having people over for a game night, this recipe for sweet potato buffalo chicken really is a game-changer. They have incredible flavor and they’re so easy to throw together in a pinch, which always makes them a weeknight favorite.
How to make a buffalo sweet potato
- Prep. Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray foil with nonstick spray. Scrub potatoes clean but make sure you dry them completely with a paper towel. Pierce the potatoes with a fork 6-8 times to allow for steam to escape and to avoid an exploding potato.
- Brush. Lay the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and brush each one with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake. Bake until the sweet potatoes are soft and tender. You’ll know by piercing the center with a knife. Once they are cooled slightly cut them down the middle and prepare the filling. You don’t want to cut the potatoes completely in half. They should still remain a whole potato with a slit down the middle.
- Stuff. Combine the precooked chicken (either chopped or shredded) and buffalo sauce in a small bowl. Warm it up in the microwave or on the stovetop. Scoop approximately 1/2 cup of filling into the center of each potato. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and drizzle with dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
Talk about customizable! Here are a few variations, but of course you can get as creative as you’d like.
- Steaming. Making baked sweet potatoes definitely gives them more flavor, but steaming is a bit quicker and still tastes super yummy!
- Type of potato. This recipe would taste delicious on a traditional russet baked potato as well.
- Chicken. Rotisserie chicken is great to use for convenience. You can also make crockpot buffalo chicken and have leftovers to spare!
- Spicy. If you like heat, feel free to add more buffalo sauce. Sliced jalapenos would also taste delicious on top!
- Sauces. Add a drizzle of ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing for an extra boost of flavor. The creaminess also helps balance out the heat from the buffalo sauce.
- More fillings: If you want more fillings and less potato, once you cut them down the middle, scoop out some of the flesh before loading it up.
More recipes you’ll love:
- Buffalo chicken meatballs
- Buffalo chicken lettuce wraps
- Baked chicken wings
- Buffalo chicken pasta salad
- Buffalo chicken salad
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 4 sweet potatoes (yams)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I like to use a rotisserie)
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce (more if desired)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Optional: ranch or bleu cheese dressing
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray foil with nonstick spray.
- Give potatoes a good scrub and then dry them completely with a paper towel. Pierce potatoes a with a fork about 6-8 times.
- Lay potatoes on foil-lined baking sheet, then brush all over with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until sweet potatoes are soft. Once cooled slightly cut in half.
- Combine the chicken and buffalo sauce in a small bowl. Warm up in the microwave or on the stove. Then place 1/2 cup chicken on top of each potato. Then add cilantro and drizzle with dressing.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve while warm.