This baked buffalo chicken dip recipe is loaded with tender shredded chicken coated in tangy buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and 3 kinds of cheese, baked until bubbly then topped with blue cheese. It’s the perfect shareable dip to serve a crowd!
Table of Contents
Buffalo Chicken Dip in Oven Recipe
As you may or may not have noticed, my blog is full of appetizers with buffalo chicken flavors. From buffalo chicken pasta salad and buffalo chicken pizza to buffalo chicken meatballs and even buffalo cauliflower. I can’t get enough of the flavor!
Yet, I still NEEDED to share this baked buffalo chicken dip because only the oven can give it a chance to set a bit more and let the top get golden brown and crispy with cheese bubbling up the sides!
This easy and delicious dip makes an appearance at all my holiday parties. It’s thick, creamy, cheesy, and spicy, making it one of the best appetizers! It’s always a hit at game day parties and potlucks, and because it’s a familiar flavor that everyone loves, it always disappears quickly.
Why This Recipe Works
- So much flavor. If you love baked chicken wings doused in buffalo sauce, you’ll love this oven baked buffalo chicken dip.
- Easy to make. Everything comes together in the Instant Pot, then it gets placed in the oven to bake. It couldn’t be easier, even if you’re starting with uncooked chicken, it’ll still be ready in under 1 hour.
- Can be made ahead. If you want to get ahead on some of your appetizers, this is a great one to prepare in advance. It’s also just as good hot as it is warm, so it’s really a low-maintenance recipe.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chicken: If starting from scratch, you’ll need boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If you’ve got leftover Instant Pot buffalo chicken or crockpot shredded chicken use that. Otherwise, follow the directions as listed.
- Cream cheese: Cut the block up into 1″ pieces, so they melt and blend in easier. Use a block of cream cheese rather than a tub for the best consistency.
- Buffalo wing sauce: I make a super easy homemade buffalo hot sauce using just 2 ingredients. Or use a jar of your favorite kind. Adjust the amount based on spice preference.
- Ranch dressing: The cool creaminess of ranch dressing is such a good pairing with the tangy buffalo sauce.
- Shredded cheese: Mozzarella is used to give the baked buffalo chicken dip that melty, gooey goodness. The cheddar cheese gets melted on top!
- Save a bit of time and pick up cooked chicken, either rotisserie chicken or canned chicken.
- Monterey jack cheese can be used in this dish in place of cheddar cheese or mozzarella.
- Swap the ranch for blue cheese dressing instead. Either will work!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Melt the creamy base. Set the Instant Pot to sauté and toss in the cream cheese, Buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and mozzarella cheese.
- Add the chicken. Stir everything until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the cooked shredded chicken and stir to combine. Make sure the chicken is well coated. Season to taste.
- Assemble and bake. Spread the dip into a 9-inch baking dish, sprayed with nonstick spray into an even layer. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top and bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly.
- Garnish and serve. Top with sliced green onions or chives and blue cheese crumbles if desired. Enjoy it while it’s hot with your favorite dippable items!
No Instant Pot? No Problem.
To make this even easier, use 2 cups of rotisserie chicken and place the ingredients in a slow cooker over low heat for 1 hour. Transfer to a baking dish and melt cheese in the oven.
- For shredding the chicken, use 2 forks to pull apart the chicken into shreds, or an easier (slightly messier) way would be to shred the chicken using an electric hand mixer. Seriously, try it!
- For an extra spicy dip, you can use more buffalo sauce or sprinkle in a bit of cayenne pepper.
- If you like yours a bit milder, use less of the buffalo wing sauce. You could also add a bit more ranch if you prefer.
- Use full-fat cream cheese from a block. Low-fat and spreadable cream cheese may separate and affect how well your dip sets.
Buffalo chicken dip with cream cheese and saucy goodness is great with tortilla chips, veggies like celery sticks, and carrot sticks, or put together a beautiful mezze platter, French baguette slices, breadsticks, soft pretzels, and anything you’d enjoy with your buffalo wings!
Don’t fret! This dip can last for a few hours at room temperature, which makes it great for any type of gathering. You don’t need to worry about it for a while! It tastes great hot, warm, or cooled off a bit, just don’t leave it out overnight and you’re golden!
You can use shredded chicken thighs if you prefer, or if you’re trying to use up what you have. Keep in mind, it’s not as lean so it will contain more grease, which may show up in your dip. An oily dip is a good dip that will still taste good, but in case you wondered where the extra grease came from!
Assemble the dip in the baking dish, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and then cover with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge. When you’re ready to bake and serve, remove the plastic and bake until gooey!
Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It will thicken as it cools but will soften and melt again once heated.
Reheat smaller amounts in the microwave or use the oven for bigger portions.
More Easy Dip IdeasBrowse all
Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt , to taste
- 1 cup water , or chicken broth
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese , cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce , more or less to spice preference
- ⅔ cup ranch dressing , could also substitute bleu cheese dressing
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For serving: Green onions, Blue cheese, Tortilla chips, Crackers, Celery, and Carrot sticks
- In an Instant Pot, place chicken breasts in an even layer. Sprinkle with salt and cover with water. Secure the lid. Set the valve to "seal".
- Set the Instant Pot to the "Meat/Stew" or high pressure function to cook 15 minutes. When the timer is done, carefully quick-release the pressure. Once pressure is completely released, carefully open the lid. Drain the chicken, discarding the liquid, and transfer to a cutting board to shred using 2 forks. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to the "Sauté" function. Add the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and mozzarella cheese. Stir constantly until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Add the shredded chicken and stir until well coated. Season to taste.
- Spread the buffalo chicken dip into the baking dish and sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Bake 10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Top with sliced green onions and blue cheese. if desired. Serve hot with tortilla chips and/or vegetables.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!