Easy salsa verde recipe with a touch of sweet and spicy! Enjoy this homemade tomatillo salsa with tortilla chips or with your favorite Mexican dish.
Chips and salsa are one of my absolute favorite Mexican appetizers. There’s something about the combination of a crunchy, salty tortilla chip dipped in a fresh and flavorful salsa. Bonus points if they’re warm homemade tortilla chips. Seriously the best ever!
One of my biggest weaknesses is chips and salsa. Seriously the best snack ever. Can I get an amen?! And once I moved to the Midwest, I realized you just can’t find salsa like you can in Arizona. Luckily it’s pretty easy to whip up in a blender though!
This salsa verde recipe (also known as tomatillo salsa) reminds me of one from my favorite Mexican restaurant back home. It has the perfect flavor and is so simple to make. Use it to add flavoring to your favorite Mexican dishes, or as an appetizer with tortilla chips and fresh guacamole. So good!
What is the difference between salsa and salsa verde?
Red salsa is made from red tomatoes, herbs and spices, while salsa verde (tomatillo salsa) is made with tomatillos, herbs and spices. Red salsa is typically a bit spicier than salsa verde, although you can add extra jalapeno to your salsa verde to increase the heat. Both are used in many Mexican dishes, as well as for dipping.
Are tomatillos the same as tomatoes?
No, tomatillos are not the same as tomatoes. They are the fruit of a different plant that originated in Mexico and grow in a papery husk. They are often used in sauces and salsas and have a tart and fruity taste (not spicy). When using tomatillos in sauces, they are typically cooked in order to bring out the flavor and soften the thick skin.
How to make salsa verde
You’ll never go back to the store-bought jar after making this delicious homemade version. It’s so simple and comes together in a matter of minutes. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- BROIL. Remove skin from tomatillos and place on a baking sheet, along with the jalapeno. Broil for 3 minutes, then flip and broil for 3-5 more minutes, until dark spots have appeared.
- BLEND. Let tomatillos cool, then add cilantro, lime juice, sugar, garlic and jalapeno in blender. Add tomatillos and blend until smooth. Salt to taste.
- CHILL. Refrigerate prior to serving. Enjoy!
- You can use canned tomatillos if you prefer. Just drain and place in blender.
- Tomatillos can also be cooked in a pot of water for 5 to 10 minutes. Once cooked, place on a paper towel to dry and cool.
- Once you blend your salsa verde, feel free to add more seasonings to taste. Add more jalapeno if you like heat or more sugar if you like sweet.
- Let the salsa chill for at least an hour before serving, so the flavors have time to marry together.
This salsa verde will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. I like to store it in a mason jar for easy access. So simple and perfect to snack on throughout the week!
Favorite ways to use it
- Served with tortilla chips
- To make salsa verde chicken
- Drizzled over a taco salad
- As a topping on skillet nachos
- To make green chili burritos
- Serve over breakfast tacos
- To make green chile enchiladas or white chicken chili
Other homemade salsa recipes:
- 1 pound tomatillos , (fresh or canned
- 1/2-1 jalapeno , minced (optional)
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 lime , juiced
- 2-4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt to taste
- If using canned tomatillos, drain and place in the blender. If using fresh tomatillos, remove the skin and place the tomatillos and jalapeno on a pan. Broil for 5 minutes. Flip and broil 3-5 more minutes, or until dark spots have appeared. Alternatively you can boil tomatillos in a pot of water for 5-10 minutes. Place on a paper towel to dry and allow to cool.
- Allow the tomatillos to cool and then place the cilantro, lime juice, sugar, garlic and jalapeno in a blender. Add tomatillos and blend until the salsa is smooth. Salt to taste. Add more jalapeno if you like it spicier. Add more sugar if you like it sweeter.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Enjoy with fresh tortilla chips.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!