Easy instant pot buffalo chicken made in 30 quick minutes! Perfectly tender, juicy and packs a punch of tangy buffalo flavor. Use it to make salads, wraps, pizza, tacos and more.
This recipe takes your average shredded chicken up a notch by coating in tangy buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning, onions, garlic and other spices. It couldn’t be easier to make and is super versatile. There’s a million delicious ways to use it!
This shredded buffalo chicken is a tried and true recipe to have in your back pocket on busy weeknights. It’s ready in just 30 minutes, requires minimal ingredients and can be made in the instant pot or the slow cooker. I love to make a big batch and use it for different meals throughout the week. It tastes great in a stuffed sweet potato, over a salad with ranch dressing or as a topping on your favorite pizza dough. The options are endless!
How to make buffalo chicken in the instant pot
With the simple steps below, learn how to use the Instant Pot to make this easy recipe in just minutes!
- ADD. Start by adding all of the ingredient in the bottom on your instant pot. I like to add the meat in first, liquids second and then the seasonings last. Then cover tightly with the lid.
- COOK. Select the manual high pressure setting and set the cooking time to 15 minutes. After the meat is done cooking, let natural release for 10 minutes.
- SHRED. Open the instant pot and remove about 1/2 cup of the juices. Use two forks to shred the chicken while it’s still in the pot. If you think it needs more liquid, pour in a little more of the removed juice (or discard it if you’d like). Taste and add more hot sauce or extra seasonings as needed.
Slow cooker version
You can also make shredded buffalo chicken in the slow cooker as well. Simply add all of the ingredients in the bottom of your crockpot and cover with the lid. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Then shred the meat in the juices using two forks.
Favorite ways to use it
The options are endless when serving this shredded buffalo chicken. Use it to make appetizers like sliders or dip or serve as a main dish over a salad, in a wrap, or on top of a baked sweet potato. It adds amazing flavor to any dish!
- Buffalo chicken dip
- Buffalo chicken sweet potato
- Chicken taquitos
- Buffalo chicken sliders
- Sheet pan nachos
- Buffalo chicken lettuce wraps
- Spicy buffalo chicken salad
- Buffalo ranch chicken wrap
- Stuffed French bread
- Buffalo chicken pasta salad
Another great thing about this recipe is that it’s perfect for freezing. Make a double batch and freeze half for busy weeknight when you need something quick. Just let it cool, then add to a freezer bag. It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the fridge overnight when ready to enjoy (or run water over the bag for faster alternative).
Other instant pot favorites:
- Chicken taco bowls
- Instant pot orange chicken
- Meatloaf and mashed potatoes
- Chicken and dumplings
- Instant pot teriyaki chicken
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
For topping: chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the chicken breast in the instant pot. Make sure there's any fat trimmed off. Pour the water and hot sauce over top. Then add the onion, garlic, ranch seasoning, Italian seasoning and salt over top.
- Place the lid on top and make sure the lid is on tight and sealed. Turn to manual high pressure and then set to 15 minutes and let cook.
- After the 15 minutes is up, let it natural release for 10 minutes. Then remove the lid carefully. Remove about 1/2 cup of the juices and then shred the chicken with two forks. Add back any of the juice if desired or discard it. Add more hot sauce to taste if desired.
- Serve while warm. Store in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.