This crockpot salsa chicken takes just 2 simple ingredients and is one of the easiest recipes ever! Perfect on salads, bowls, tacos, burritos and more.
Table of Contents
2-Ingredient Salsa Chicken
We LOVE making this salsa chicken because it’s SO easy to make and you can use it for SO many different recipes! We use it for rice bowls, salads, tacos, burritos, enchiladas and quesadillas.
It just takes 2 simple ingredients to make this recipe: chicken and salsa! Plus a few spices to add some extra depth. It does not get any easier than that just like when I make my crockpot Mexican chicken!
This dish is perfect for those days when you just don’t know what to make for dinner. All you need to do is pull out some chicken from the freezer, dump some salsa on top and let the crockpot do the rest of the work!
How to Make Salsa Chicken in Crockpot
Place the meat in the bottom of the crockpot and sprinkle with cumin and salt. Then pour the salsa on top. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on slow for 5-6 hours. Once it’s tender, shred with a fork and remove any extra fat. Keep on warm setting until ready to serve.
Instant Pot Method
You can easily make this salsa chicken in your instant pot as well. It’s so easy and is done in 30 minutes! Just place the meat on the rack and add in all the ingredients plus 1/4 cup water. Cook on poultry mode for 18 minutes, then do a natural release.
Favorite Ways to Use Salsa Chicken
- Salads: It’s absolutely perfect for salads. Throw it on top of a Mexican salad or taco salad and add a dollop of guacamole or avocado lime dressing…so so delicious!
- Tacos: We love using it to make tacos. Try using flour/corn tortillas or lettuce wraps. All taste great!
- Burritos: If you’re in the mood for a chicken burrito, this recipe makes it extra easy to make. Just throw it in, wrap the burrito up and bake!
- Bowls: My family loves to make chicken taco bowls. It’s one of our favorites and is a weeknight staple!
- Enchiladas: Whether you’re making creamy chicken enchiladas, enchilada soup or even enchilada pasta, this salsa chicken is the perfect addition.
- Quesadillas: My kids love chicken quesadillas for lunch or dinner. The quesadillas literally take 5 minutes to make when we use this delicious chicken!
One of the great things about this salsa chicken is that the leftovers are perfect for a freezer meal! Sometimes I’ll double the batch and freeze half just so we have extra on hand. It’s great for busy weeknights and is one less thing you have to worry about when making dinner!
To freeze, simply add to a zip top bag and store in the freezer until ready to use. It will keep for about 2 to 3 months. Then let thaw in the fridge overnight, or run warm water over the bag for a quicker alternative.
Looking for more easy crockpot recipes? Try this crockpot jambalaya, it’s a one pot meal!
More Crockpot Chicken Recipes
Salsa Chicken Recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts , about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin or chili powder
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Place the chicken breasts in the base of your crockpot. Sprinkle the cumin and a little bit of salt onto the chicken. Then pour the salsa over top.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or slow for 5-6 hours, or until the salsa chicken is tender and easily shreds. Shred and remove any extra fat. Salt and pepper to taste and add more salsa if desired. Keep on warm until ready to serve.
- Use over rice and beans, in tacos, salads, enchiladas, quesadillas, soups and more!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!