Flavorful and easy teriyaki chicken made in the crockpot! Only 5 minutes of prep and an instant family favorite!
You really can’t beat a good slow cooker recipe. They’re easy, stress-free and require little clean up. A few of my other weeknight go-to’s are honey garlic chicken, 3-ingredient BBQ chicken and kalua pork.
The next time you’re thinking of ordering take out – try this slow cooker teriyaki chicken recipe instead! It only takes 5 minutes of prep and cooks all day in the crockpot. The meat is so tender and the flavors in the teriyaki sauce are amazing!
We love to serve this easy teriyaki chicken with cooked rice and steamed vegetables. You could even serve over quinoa or cauliflower rice to make it even healthier.
Trust me when I say this dish is better than takeout! It has become a go-to weeknight dinner that the whole family loves!
How to make teriyaki chicken in the crockpot
Step 1: Add meat to slow cooker
Place the chicken in a slower cooker with 1/4 cup water over low-heat.
Step 2: Make the sauce
Whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in the honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper. Then pour over chicken.
Step 3: Cook in crockpot, then shred
Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the meat easily shreds. Remove any fat and begin shredding. Stir together with sauce and turn crockpot to warm until ready to serve.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
Serve over cooked rice or quinoa with steamed vegetables. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired.
Tips and substitutions
Use frozen chicken
Want to make this recipe even easier? Use frozen chicken! You may need to add an extra hour of cooking time.
Make swaps to make lighter
To make this dish a little lighter, you can leave out the brown sugar. You could also serve over riced cauliflower, brown rice or quinoa.
Add in veggies
This teriyaki chicken tastes perfect with steamed vegetables! You can even add veggies like broccoli in the crockpot during the last hour or so of cooking.
I’m always on the hunt for easy freezer meals, and this recipe is great for freezing. Add any leftovers to an airtight container or bag and store in the freezer for 1-2 months.
More delicious dinners:
- Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Cashew Lettuce Wraps
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
- General Tso’s Chicken
Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
Teriyaki Chicken Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2-3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger , or 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For serving: Cooked rice or quinoa, sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- Place the chicken in a slower cooker with 1/4 cup water over low heat. Whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in the honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the meat easily shreds. Remove fat and shred chicken. Stir together with sauce and turn slow cooker to warm until ready to serve.
- Serve over cooked rice or quinoa with steamed vegetables. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired.