This homemade buffalo sauce is tangy with a kick and loaded with flavor! Made with only 2 ingredients, this finger-lickin’ sauce is ready to coat your wings in under 5 minutes!
One of the best things about this buffalo sauce recipe is its versatility and how many things it pairs well with. Two of my favorite ways to use it is on chicken wings and buffalo chicken meatballs with a side of ranch dressing. So yummy!
There’s a reason why Frank’s gets put on everything! Vinegar, aged cayenne pepper and garlic powder are among some of the ingredients that give it the intense flavor. Add in the butter to give it a mellow silky smoothness and you’re in messy face, saucy fingers heaven!
Toss your wings in buffalo sauce, cut up some raw veggies and serve with a side of blue cheese dressing and you’ve got pub food right at home.
Make this quick and easy buffalo sauce recipe ahead of time and have it ready to go in a pinch. Perfect for serving a crowd, whether it be a potluck, a game day party or even a low key weekend meal at home.
You need just 2 ingredients!
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce – If you’ve never tried Frank’s before, you’re in for a treat. It’s tangy, spicy and delicious.
- Unsalted Butter – Using unsalted butter allows you to control the amount of salt added into this recipe. Hot sauce typically already has salt in it as well.
- Garlic Powder – This is totally optional…but it adds a nice touch to the sauce.
How to make buffalo sauce
- Combine: Add unsalted butter and hot sauce in a pan over low heat. Allow the butter to melt while whisking occasionally. Adding butter is the key ingredient that takes you from a general hot sauce to a buffalo sauce. That silky smooth texture is all thanks to the butter!
- Stir: Add the garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste, stirring to combine.
- Cool: Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool. Use on EVERYTHING! When cooled, the flavors merge and are much more pleasing.
Tip: If the sauce is settling and separating, whisk again to combine.
Once completely cooled, store in a jar with a lid for up to 1 month. Mason jars or empty tomato sauce jars work well! If you have made a larger batch and want to freeze some, the best way would be to freeze it in an airtight plastic bag, getting as much of the air out as possible. It will be good for up to 6 months.
Favorite ways to use it
- Buffalo sauce can be used as a marinade for all kinds of meat.
- To make instant pot buffalo chicken
- Spread it on top of pizza dough with shredded chicken, ranch and mozzarella cheese.
- To make a buffalo chicken sweet potato or a buffalo chicken salad.
- Use it as a dip for chicken tenders and french fries.
- Drizzle it over your mac and cheese for some extra heat.
- Coat a breaded or grilled chicken breast in this sauce and serve it on a nice crusty hamburger bun, topped with coleslaw and you’ve got the perfect buffalo chicken sandwich.
More buffalo flavored recipes to try:
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Frank's hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
S&P, to taste
- Place the butter and hot sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Allow the butter to melt, whisking occasionally. Stir in the garlic powder. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove pan from the heat and set aside to cool until ready to use.
- Store buffalo sauce in a jar with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Shake or whisk before use.