Tender fettuccine noodles covered in a creamy homemade alfredo sauce and then topped with seasoned chicken. This chicken fettuccine alfredo is easily made in under 30 minutes and is loaded with Italian flavor!
Table of Contents
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
Skip the fancy restaurant and make your own chicken fettuccini alfredo at home! This easy recipe tastes just as authentic and only takes 25 minutes from start to finish. We love to serve ours with a fresh chopped salad, garlic bread or parmesan broccoli. It’s the perfect way to experience fine Italian dining without ever having to leave your house!
This is the perfect comfort meal! It is a family favorite for a chilly day and is super easy to make. I love that the chicken fettuccine alfredo only takes about 20 minutes to whip up dinner for the night.
The alfredo sauce is the best part of the dish in my opinion. The jar of alfredo just doesn’t even compare to homemade, it is so creamy and delicious! I love adding in the chicken for some extra protein, but you could definitely make it without if you prefer. We sometimes add in spinach, like I do in chicken alfredo lasagna. There are lots of different ways to customize this easy chicken fettuccine alfredo!
It may seem like a lot of ingredients at first glance, but the majority you will already have on hand and they are used multiple times in this chicken fettuccine alfredo recipe.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chicken: I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts for ease of cooking.
- Fettuccine: This is the classic pasta for this dish, and there is a reason why.
- Butter: I like to use salted, but you can use unsalted if you’d prefer.
- Cream cheese: This helps make the sauce so rich and creamy.
- Heavy whipping cream: You can also use half-and-half, if you prefer, but you want something with a bit more fat than milk.
- Garlic: I love to add fresh garlic to really amp up the flavor.
- Parmesan: I prefer freshly grated because it melts better.
- Seasoning: All you need is paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper for this chicken alfredo.
- Extra veggies. You can add steamed broccoli florets or sliced mushrooms to the sauce as well if you prefer.
- Sauce. For a thicker sauce, use heavy whipping cream instead of half and half. For an extra creamy sauce, mix in some cream cheese like I did in my cream cheese alfredo sauce.
- Protein. Feel free to swap out the chicken with shrimp if preferred. Or you can omit meat all together.
- Noodles. Fettuccine noodles are my favorite because the sauce completely covers every inch of the flat surface. However other types of noodles (like penne or rotini) would also taste delicious.
How to Make Chicken Alfredo
There are three components to this chicken fettuccine alfredo that all come together to create an amazing dish.
- Cook chicken. Slice the chicken in half into cutlets and season with salt and pepper. Cook in an oiled skillet over medium for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through. Then transfer to a plate to rest while the sauce is cooking. Slice into strips right before adding to the sauce.
- Cook the pasta. Cook fettuccini according to directions, then drain and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water (for thinning down sauce if needed).
- Make the sauce. Simmer the half and half and butter in a large skillet for about 7 to 10 minutes. Make sure to whisk constantly until the mixture has reduced and thickened. Stir in the parmesan until melted, then add in the remaining seasonings.
- Toss. Add the chicken strips and cooked fettuccini into the sauce and toss until well coated. Let rest for a few minutes, then serve while hot!
- Pasta water. Make sure to salt your pasta water for a boost of extra flavor. Also, don’t forget to reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before draining your noodles. You can use it to thin down your sauce later if needed.
- Cheese. One of the keys to making delicious homemade chicken fettuccine alfredo is grating your own parmesan cheese. The store-bought containers of pre-grated parmesan have extra additives that make the cheese harder to melt. Fresh is always best!
Though both dishes have alfredo sauce and chicken, the chicken alfredo might use a different pasta than the fettuccine in chicken fettuccine alfredo.
I like to use Italian seasoning and paprika (along with salt and pepper) when I cook the chicken, as well as add Italian seasoning and garlic powder (and salt and pepper) to the sauce.
I love to use fettuccine, but penne or rotini work well with the sauce and the chicken. Linguine is also a great substitute.
Store chicken fettuccine alfredo leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Craving more creamy chicken recipes? Check out my stuffed chicken breast with spinach or this creamy chicken florentine. Both would taste delicious served with cooked pasta!
More Italian Favorites
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt , to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 1 Tablespoon salt , for the water
- ½ cup salted butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy whipping cream , or half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning , optional
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt , plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4- ¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese , plus more if desired
For serving: Chopped fresh parsley
- Pound the chicken breast to even thickness. In a small bowl, stir together the Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper. Rub all over the chicken.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook 5 minutes. Flip and cook and additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F on a digital thermometer. Transfer to a plate, cover and let rest while the sauce is cooking. Slice against the grain into 1/4-inch strips when ready to serve.
- Boil pasta in water mixed with salt according to package instructions. Drain once cooked and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and cream cheese over low heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the heavy cream, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, if using, salt, and pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Stir in parmesan cheese and simmer until melt. Add more parmesan, if desired. The more cheese you add, the thicker the sauce will be.
- Add chicken to the sauce and toss with fettuccine until coated. Add 1 to 2 Tablespoons pasta water if needed to thin the sauce.
- Let rest a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley to garnish.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
This was delicious, the pasta was just so creamy and rich.
So creamy and delicious, this is going on our regular menu rotation!
My new favorite dinner. Way better than any restaurant chicken alfredo I’ve ever had!
So easy and delicious!
I hope you enjoy it! :)
This was a delicious and comforting meal. Just what we needed. Thank you for sharing!
This is such a delicious recipe! Can’t wait to try it!