Get ready to fall head-over-heels in love after one bite of this marry me chicken recipe! Juicy chicken breasts are paired with a creamy Parmesan sauce flavored with sun-dried tomatoes for a crowd-pleasing chicken dinner.
Table of Contents
The Best Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken
While a declaration of undying love may or may not be forthcoming after one bite of this chicken breast recipe, the creamy, cheesy sauce laced with savory flavors of garlic and tangy sundried tomatoes guarantees that everyone will say be saying yes to making it over and over again!
While I have quite a few creamy chicken recipes on the blog, like this popular creamy crockpot chicken and chicken florentine, this marry me chicken recipe with it’s layers of flavors has quickly become a family favorite.
Whether you make this tasty dish for date night, a weeknight dinner or special occasion, this easy chicken dinner is irresistible!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Crowd-pleasing favorite: After one bite you will see why this recipe was a TikTok viral hit!
- Flavorful: Italian seasoned sauteed chicken breasts, a rich Parmesan cream sauce and sweet sun-dried tomatoes make this a treat for your tastebuds.
- Easy to make: Made on the stovetop, this simple, hassle-free and easy to make marry me chicken dinner is satisfying and delicious.
- Marriage proposal magic: While there are no guarantees that your partner will pop the question when you make this, the perfect marriage of flavors is something everyone loves!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chicken breasts: Two chicken breasts sliced thin into cutlets. Cutting the chicken in half lengthwise will help it cook faster and more evenly.
- Salt, pepper and Italian seasoning: This will season the chicken.
- Olive oil and butter: Used for browning the chicken so it achieves a nice golden crust.
- Garlic: You will need 3 garlic cloves, or 1 Tablespoon minced garlic for lots of savory flavor.
- Chicken broth: While chicken broth is best, vegetable stock or white wine could be used.
- Heavy cream and Parmesan cheese: This will create the flavorful, rich and creamy sauce.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: What makes this dish outstanding!
- Crushed red pepper flakes: Adds a little kick of gentle heat to the dish. If you cannot tolerate any spice, you can omit them.
- Fresh basil: Thinly sliced for garnish.
- Crusted chicken: If you’d like to create a crispy crusted chicken, simply dredge the chicken in a shallow bowl flour after step 1 before you add to the pan. This adds a nice crust.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: I like to use the tomatoes packed in oil, but you can use dried tomatoes if preferred. Add a little extra oil to the skillet with the tomatoes to give the sauce an extra boost of flavor.
- Fresh tomato: If you cannot find sun-dried tomatoes or just aren’t a fan of the concentrated tomato taste, chop a small tomato and use that instead or leave it out altogether.
- Fresh spinach: Add a boost of color and nutrition by adding a handful of baby spinach towards the end of cooking time. Stir until spinach begins to wilt.
How to Make Marry Me Chicken
- Prep chicken: Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise, pound to even 1/4-inch thickness then season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning on both sides.
- Sauté chicken breasts: In a large skillet, melt butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and sauté 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Make sauce: In the same pan, reduce heat to medium low then add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the broth, scraping up any loose browned bits for additional flavor.
- Add cream and sun-dried tomatoes: Transfer pan to a cold burner, cool slightly then whisk in the cream. Add Parmesan then gently stir until cheese has melted. Return skillet to medium-low heat and stir in sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer, then add chicken: Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat then return the cooked chicken to the pan, stirring to coat it in the sauce. Simmer 2 more minutes, or until chicken is warmed through.
- Garnish and serve: Spoon remaining sauce over top of the chicken and garnish with basil. Serve marry me chicken warm with mashed potatoes, if desired and enjoy!
- Don’t overcook chicken breasts: For tender, juicy chicken only cook chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165°F in the center. Use an instant read food thermometer for accuracy.
- Pound chicken breasts: For evenly cooked chicken, don’t skip pouding your chicken with a meat mallet into an 1/4-inch thickness.
- Skip the light cream: Avoid using light cream, half-and-half or milk. Heavy cream is best for thickening the sauce and maximizing creaminess.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese: Grating your own Parmesan cheese from a block is preferred. Pre-shredded store bought Parmesan contains anti-clumping ingredients that doesn’t dissolve and melt as well in sauces.
I think the real question may be, will your partner really pop the question after eating this dish? While a marriage proposal may or may not happen, the name is certainly a nod to how mouthwatering and delicious this Italian-inspired chicken tastes.
To make this dairy free, use coconut cream in place of heavy and use a vegan Parmesan.
You can use dried oregano and dried thyme instead of an Italian seasoning blend.
Yes, boneless skinless chicken thighs work great in this easy marry me chicken recipe and can be used in place of boneless skinless chicken breasts.
No, I don’t recommend it. The creamy sauce will change texture when thawed.
Marry Me Chicken Serving Suggestions
If you want to serve it with something lighter, low carb cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles would also be delicious as well as a veggie side dish like roasted asparagus.
To store leftovers of marry me chicken, cool completely then place in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days.
To reheat, place in a saucepan over low heat until desired temperature is reached. You can also reheat quickly in the microwave until warmed through. Add a splash of water or milk to thin sauce as needed.
More Chicken Recipes You’ll LoveBrowse all
Marry Me Chicken Recipe
Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
- 3 garlic cloves , minced (1 Tablespoon)
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream , at room temperature
- ⅓ cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil , drained and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt , to taste
- Ground black pepper , to taste
- Fresh basil , thinly sliced, for serving
For serving: Mashed potatoes
- Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Place each piece between plastic wrap and pound to 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts. Add more seasoning if needed.
- In a large pan, melt butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and sauté 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover with foil to rest.
- In the same pan, reduce heat to medium low. Add the garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir in the broth, scraping up any loose browned bits.
- Transfer pan to a cold burner and let cool slightly. Whisk in the cream until smooth. Sprinkle in parmesan and gently stir until cheese has melted.
- Return skillet to medium-low heat and whisk sauce 1 minute until heated. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a slow simmer, stirring occasionally. Return the cooked chicken to the pan, ensuring it is well coated in the sauce. Simmer 2 more minutes, or until chicken is warmed through.
- Spoon remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with basil. Serve warm with mashed potatoes.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!