Learn how to make cool whip with just 4 simple ingredients! It’s perfectly light and fluffy with amazing flavor. Makes a great topping for so many of your favorite desserts!
Making homemade cool whip has never been easier. In just 5 minutes, you’ll have the most fluffy and delicious whipped topping you’ve ever tried. It tastes amazing on so many desserts, but I especially love to use it on my jello poke cake, watergate salad and my no-bake chocolate lasagna.
I recently made homemade cool whip and I am obsessed! It tastes WAY better than store bought and has the perfect texture and flavor. I love how fresh it is and that you don’t have to worry about any extra preservatives added in.
The great thing about this whipped topping is that it will hold it’s shape for about 24 hours (similar to stabilized whipped cream). The gelatin helps makes it sturdy, so it won’t deflate quickly like homemade whipped cream does. You can use it cup for cup for any recipe that calls for cool whip.
It makes a delicious frosting or topping, can be mixed into your favorite dessert recipes or even used as a dip with fruit. And let’s not forget enjoying it by the spoonful because you definitely won’t be able to resist!
- Gelatin: The gelatin is what helps keep it from deflating. Make sure to use unflavored gelatin.
- Water: This is what the gelatin dissolves in. After a few minutes, the mixture will thicken.
- Heavy cream: The colder the cream, the better! It gives it a light consistency and makes it easier to whip.
- Powdered sugar: Achieve the perfect amount of sweetness by adding a few Tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- Vanilla: A subtle hint of vanilla helps round out the flavors in this whipped topping.
How to make homemade cool whip
- FREEZE. Before getting started, freeze your mixing bowl and beaters for about 15 minutes.
- DISSOLVE. Place the gelatin in a bowl with the water. The mixture will dissolve and start to thicken after a few minutes. Then place the bowl in the microwave and cook for about 10 seconds, or until it’s back in liquid form.
- BEAT. Add the cold heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla into the chilled mixing bowl. Beat on low until mixed together, then turn to high and beat until a soft peak forms. This usually takes about 1 minute. While the beaters are on, slowly pour in the gelatin and continue beating until a soft peak forms. Then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Chill your bowl and beaters. You want these to be COLD. Stick them in the freezer for about 15 minutes before you start making the cool whip. It helps to form stiff peaks faster.
- Flavoring. Vanilla extract gives it the traditional flavor. Depending on what dessert you’re making, feel free to use other type of extracts (like almond, lemon or orange).
- Keep a close eye. It doesn’t take long for the stiff peaks to form (especially if you chill your bowl and beaters first). So make sure not to walk away or get distracted! The last thing you want to do is over mix the whipped topping.
- Whipped cream replacement. It can be used interchangeably with whipped cream. Use it as a 1:1 replacement.
This homemade cool whip is best if stored in the fridge. You can make it a day in advance, then cover and refrigerate until serving. It will hold it’s shape for about 24 hours.
Favorite ways to use it:
- Better than anything cake
- Strawberry fruit dip
- Peanut butter pie
- Pineapple fluff
- Oreo ice cream cake
How to Make Cool Whip
- Place a medium-large sized mixing bowl and the beaters into a freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Dissolve the gelatin in a small bowl with the water. Allow to sit a few minutes until thickened. Then microwave about 10 seconds until it turns back to liquid.
- Pour the cream, sugar and vanilla into the chilled bowl. Beat on low until the ingredients are mixed together, then beat on high until a soft peak forms (about 1 minutes). Then slowly mix in the liquid gelatin while the beaters are on. Beat until a soft peak forms or it reaches the texture of cool whip.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. It will stay stable for 24 hours. Replace in any recipe using cool whip, cup for cup.