Hi there, readers! It’s Jennifer from The Chronicles of Home, and I’m feeling a little *spring* in my step these days. Seriously, my magnetic pull toward all things lemon is as sure a sign of spring as the little leaf and flower buds popping out all around me.
It’s kind of a funny thing, because I can easily get lemons any time of the year, but there’s just something about a lemon dessert that feels ultra-springy to me. These coconut lemon bars are one of my absolute favorite spring desserts.
Lemon bars are one of those oldie-but-goodie classics that will never go out of food fashion. I’ve updated them a bit here with some coconut in the shortbread layer but, don’t despair, the buttery crust and creamy, tangy filling you love are still there. The coconut adds just the right layer of flavor interest, and will have people saying, “Ooooh, what is that I’m tasting in there?”
Do you need another reason to make these? Just in case, besides the fantastic flavor, these coconut lemon bars are also really easy to make. While the crust is baking, you whip up the lemon filling in a food processor, pour it into the hot crust, and a short twenty-five minutes later pull out these perfect little lemony bites with a soft coconut fragrance and use all of your willpower not to dig in right then with a fork!
Coconut Lemon Bars
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus 3 additional tablespoons (at room temp)
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
Extra coconut for topping
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 13x9x2 metal baking pan with butter, shortening, or coconut oil.
- Use an electric mixer to beat flour, coconut, powdered sugar, and salt until blended. Add butter and beat on low speed until clumps form. Press dough onto the bottom and slightly up the sides of the prepared baking pan. Bake crust until golden, about 25 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, put sugar and lemon zest in a food processor and process until zest is finely ground. Add lemon juice and process to blend. Add eggs and process to blend. Add flour and a pinch of salt and pulse until mixture is smooth.
- When crust is finished baking, reduce oven temperature to 325º, pour the filling over the hot crust, and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and sprinkle additional coconut on top for garnish, if desired.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 15 minutes, until the filling is set. Cool in the pan on a rack.
- Cut into bars before serving.
I’m Jennifer from The Chronicles of Home, where I share DIY and home decorating projects as well as lots of yummy recipes. My truest loves are my husband and two young daughters, but I’ve also fallen for salvaging, refinishing, & reupholstering old furniture and building furniture from the frame up. I have a sweet tooth to be reckoned with and love testing new desserts, though most of the time I eat and feed my family delicious, seasonal, healthy food. I’m drawn to beautiful fabric, great books, anything kelly green, pasta made from scratch, dark chocolate, and brown butter. I’m so thrilled to be part of the I Heart Naptime creative team!