Delicious lemon cupcakes topped with a fresh raspberry buttercream frosting. The easiest lemon raspberry cupcakes from cake mix that are perfect for spring and summer!
Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Frosting
To celebrate spring and summer time (yay for warmer weather!), I thought I would share this delicious lemon raspberry cupcake recipe. These cupcakes are SO easy to whip up and are made with my favorite secret baking ingredients: cake mix and jello pudding mix! Plus they have the absolute best bright flavor.
One of my all time favorite combinations is lemon and raspberry. There is something so refreshing about the two flavors together. The taste just screams citrus, sweet and tart all at the same time.
If you’ve never made lemon cupcakes from cake mix, you have to give this recipe a try. The lemon flavor is incredible and the texture is super soft and fluffy. Plus the raspberry buttercream frosting on top is amazing. These cupcakes are sure to wow your guests!
Why We Love These Cupcakes
- Made with cake mix. Cake mix isn’t only for making cakes! Using cake mix for these cupcakes is an easy shortcut that will still give you great results. Don’t underestimate how great a box of cake mix can taste when you doctor it up!
- Ready in 30 minutes. Any dessert made in 30 minutes is a keeper on my list. Preparing the batter only takes a few minutes, and you can prepare the frosting while the cupcakes bake in the oven. Easy peasy!
- Bright flavors. Is there anything better in the spring and summer than fresh berries and lemon? It’s a mouthwatering combination that’s refreshing, bright and sweet.
- Decorative. Although these cupcakes are easy to make, they look so fun and decorative. Your guests will think you ordered them from a local bakery!
These cupcakes couldn’t be more simple to make. No making from scratch and spending hours in the kitchen! Simply mix together a box of cake mix with a few other pantry staples and you’ll have flavorful and delicious lemon raspberry cupcakes in no time.
- Lemon cake mix: This recipe starts with a box of your favorite lemon cake mix.
- Instant lemon pudding mix: This is one of the secret ingredients that makes the cupcakes super moist and tender. You’ll be using the dry mix (no need to make the actual pudding first).
- Eggs: Large eggs work best in this recipe. Your cake mix package instructions may call for a different number of eggs than this recipe, but that’s okay. Stick with the number in this recipe instead.
- Oil: Canola oil is used to keep the cupcakes moist. Vegetable oil will also work too.
- Sour cream: Another secret ingredients that contributes to the moist and fluffy texture.
- Lemon zest: Added for an extra punch of citrus flavor. Feel free to add more or less to taste depending on how much lemon flavor you want your cupcakes to have. Learn how to zest a lemon a few different ways.
The raspberry buttercream frosting on top is the perfect finishing touch! Not only does it taste delicious, but the vibrant pink color looks so pretty too!
It’s similar to classic buttercream frosting, but with the addition of fresh raspberry puree to give it a sweet and tart flavor that compliments the lemon cupcakes so well!
How to Make Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Mix batter. Combine cake mix and dry pudding mix in a large bowl. Next mix in the eggs, canola oil and hot water. Then stir in sour cream and lemon zest. Be sure not to over mix the batter!
- Fill and bake. Pour the batter into each cupcake liner, about 3/4 of the way full. Then bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. You want them to spring back when touched. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Make frosting. Puree the raspberries and strain out the seeds. In a large bowl, beat the butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy. Slowly add in powdered sugar, reserving the last 1/2 cup for the end. Add in raspberry puree and mix until combined. Then slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar until thick and creamy.
- Frost. Once the cupcakes are cool, frost with the raspberry buttercream.
Piping the Frosting
Want to learn how to frost the perfect cupcakes? This easy tutorial is perfect for the beginner baker and will give you all my step-by-step instructions to achieve beautifully decorated cupcakes in no time!
The beauty of this lemon raspberry cupcake recipe is that you can easily customize the ingredients to make it your own! Feel free to play around with the flavors and swap the type of cake mix, pudding mix, or frosting. You can even fill the centers with lemon curd or raspberry jam!
- Cake mix: This recipe works with any variety of cake mix, so feel free to get creative with what you choose. You can never go wrong by making classic vanilla cupcakes or chocolate cupcakes.
- Pudding mix: Any variety of pudding mix will work. I used lemon pudding mix to give it an extra boost of lemon flavor, but the vanilla or cheesecake flavors would taste delicious as well.
- Frosting: The sweet raspberry frosting is by far my favorite, but there are plenty of others that would taste great. Try strawberry buttercream, lemon cream cheese frosting or coconut frosting.
Adding a few decorations can really elevate the appearance of your lemon raspberry cupcakes. A simple idea is to add a fresh raspberry on top for garnish. You can also add a small lemon wedge, or sprinkle some lemon zest over the frosting. So cute!
More Delicious Desserts
- Glazed Raspberry Lemon Cookies: Thick and buttery with a sweet lemon glaze.
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies: Made with just 5 ingredients.
- Raspberry Crumb Bars: Crispy, chewy, buttery and sweet. A spring favorite!
- Lemon Poke Cake: Soaked in lemon jello with a light whipped cream topping.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes
- 15 ounce box lemon cake mix
- 3.4 ounce box instant lemon pudding (the dry mix)
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup hot water
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar (reserve 1/2 cup for the end)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line cupcake liners in 2 muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and dry pudding mix. Next mix in the eggs, canola oil and hot water. Then stir in the sour cream and lemon zest.
- Pour batter into the cupcake liners, about 3/4 the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cupcakes spring back when touched. Do not over cook. You can also test with a tooth pick to make sure the centers are cooked all the way through.
- Remove from oven and allow cupcakes to cool on a cooling rack.
- Puree the raspberries in a blender. Then pour into a sieve or fine mesh strainer. You should have about 1/2 cup puree.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and vanilla with an electric mixer, until nice and fluffy. Then slowly add in the powdered sugar, reserving 1/2 cup. Add in the raspberry puree and mix until combined. Then slowly add the last 1/2 cup powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, frost the tops with the raspberry frosting. Add a fresh raspberry on top for garnish!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Made these for Mother’s Day & it was so easy… my 3 year old bonus-daughter helped with the entire process & they were a HUGE hit.
Yay, happy to hear you loved them! So fun to spend time together in the kitchen :)
Beautiful cupcakes. I’m throwing a girl’s party this weekend. I’m going to bake these cupcakes. I bet my guests will love them. Thanks for the recipe!
I hope they are a hit!
These are just wonderful! I love lemon and raspberry together!
The best combo!
Can these cupcakes be made ahead and frozen?
Yes, I would freeze them before frosting and then frost when you’re ready to use :)