Easy and delicious corn dog muffins recipe…the perfect appetizer for game day and something the whole family will love!
If you’re looking for a simple and crowd friendly appetizer recipe, these hot dog corn muffins are it! Everyone always eats them right up. Other favorites are mini cheese ball bites, pigs in a blanket, pizza pinwheels and lil smokies.
Corn dog muffins
For this recipe, I used my favorite fluffy bakery style cornbread and turned it into delicious corn dog muffins.
This isn’t your traditional corn dog recipe, but these corn dog muffins taste way better than the traditional corn dog in my opinion. The bread is sweet, soft and not dry like some of the corn bread muffins you may have tried. Then the hot dog in the center adds the perfect flavor!
These corn dog muffins are always a hit and something my kids request weekly. They love adding them to their school lunch, too!
How to make corn dog muffins
Step 1: Make the batter
Whisk together the buttermilk, honey and eggs in a small bowl. Then stir together cornmeal, baking powder, flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
Add the milk mixture and stir just until combined. Then stir in the melted butter.
Step 2: Assemble the muffins
Pour batter into a greased muffin pan 2/3 of the way full. Then place the hot dog into the center of the corn dog muffin.
Step 3: Bake the corn dog muffins
Bake at 400°F for 13 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Test with a toothpick to make sure the center comes clean. Remove to a cooling rack.
Easy corn dog muffins are perfect for game day!
Corn dog muffins are also perfect for tailgating and make a great addition to any chili bar. If there’s one thing that gets me excited about fall, it’s homemade chili and cornbread! I’m getting so anxious for the leaves to start changing colors. It’s my favorite time of year.
We had a little tailgating party outside in the backyard to kick off the first football game, so of course we had to have a chili bar and hot dogs. Now I have to admit… game day to me is all about the food. I love tailgating because I get to see my friends, the kids get to play and we eat amazing food. Oh and we watch football. ;)
I thought it would be fun to create some football utensil holders as well, so I added some white tape to the front of a large mason jar. Then I added brown utensils to the jar. Super cute and an easy way to dress up the table a little bit!
More game day favorites:
- Cheesy Bacon Dip
- Turtle Chex Party Mix
- Homemade Pretzel Bites
- Meatball Sliders
- Classic Cheese Ball
- 7-Layer Dip
Easy Corn Dog Muffins
- 3/4 cup buttermilk , at room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs , at room temperature
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon table or fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter , melted and cooled slightly
- 3 hot dogs , cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a muffin pan generously with cooking spray. I prefer using a silicone baking pan. Set aside.
- Whisk together buttermilk, honey and eggs in a small bowl.
- Stir together cornmeal, baking powder, flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the milk mixture and stir just until combined. Finally, stir in the melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan 2/3 the way full. Place the hot dog piece into the center of the muffin.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Test with a toothpick to make sure the center comes clean. Remove to a cooling rack.