Easy Pizza Pinwheels Recipe -these make the perfect afternoon snack or lunch!
I’m Kristin, back again with a fun and delicious snack idea. These Pizza Pinwheels are super easy to make, can be adapted to be kids or adult friendly and make a great after school snack, or even a light meal.
When it comes to my kids, when they’re hungry, they want something good and something fast. These little roll ups are made with Pillsbury Crescent Dough (or refrigerated pizza dough) and can be made with jarred pizza sauce or if you have a little more time, my homemade marinara sauce. They take just a few minutes to prepare and they bake in just about 12 minutes.
Of course they’re not just kid-friendly, they’re a perfect appetizer for grown-ups too. Instead of pepperoni, add some chicken, diced peppers, onions, mushrooms or any other specialty ingredients you like.
To make them, you’ll need to flatten out the dough. You can use refrigerated crescents or pizza dough; they both come out to roughly the same size. Be sure to flour the surface first to avoid sticking.
Spread on the sauce and add some toppings. Each roll makes about a dozen pinwheels, and you can divide the toppings to get more variety. If you’re using crescents, you’ll want to make sure you press the seems together.
The next step is probably the hardest, but the great thing about these roll-ups is that they are very forgiving as they bake even if they look sloppy after you roll them up.
You’ll need to roll them lengthwise; I usually start by folding the edge and then continue the rolling motion, doing just a little bit at a time to keep the filling from falling out.
One tip I got from a reader who tried my Jalapeno Bacon & Cheddar Pinwheels was to freeze the roll for 10-15 minutes before slicing to preserve their shape. I thought that was a great idea if you have the time.
Aren’t they pretty? They definitely look impressive and no one will no how easy they were unless you tell them.
My family loved these! In fact, we loved them so much that I decided to try a BBQ Chicken Pizza version. Just use BBQ sauce, chicken, cilantro and red onion.
Have you made pinwheels before? Do you have a favorite recipe?
Looking for more easy recipes? You’ll love these too:
Easy Pizza Pinwheels
- 1 can Refrigerated Crescents or Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce or marinara
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pizza toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Lightly flour a large wooden cutting board. Roll out dough onto the floured surface, pressing seems together as you go.
- Spread pizza sauce evenly over the dough, to the edges.
- Top with shredded Mozzarella and your choice of pizza toppings.
- Roll pizza width-wise (the longest side) and seal the and slice into 1 inch pieces.
- Place pinwheels on the prepared cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 9-11 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes then serve with marinara or ranch for dipping.