Light and fluffy cornbread muffins with a deliciously sweet flavor. So easy to make and tastes amazing with chili, soup and all your favorite comfort meals.
Perfect Muffins for Fall
These muffins are one of my favorites to make during the fall. They’re perfect to bring to a get together or to serve along with a big bowl of homemade chili. While I also love a giant slice of cornbread, I find the muffins are easier for grab and go.
These cornbread muffins are sweet, fluffy, moist and tender. They’re super easy to make and you can whisk up the batter in no time at all. They taste great year round, but we especially love to enjoy them during the fall and winter with all types of soup and comfort food.
For serving, I love adding a little bit of butter and honey or cinnamon butter on top too. So delicious and always a crowd pleaser!
How to Make Cornbread Muffins
BATTER. Fill a measuring cup with 3/4 cup milk, then whisk in the eggs and honey. In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Then mix in the melted butter (don’t over mix).
FILL. Pour the batter into a greased 12-cup muffin pan, so that each cup is about 3/4 full.
BAKE. Bake in oven at 350°F for about 17 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Poke a toothpick in the center of one of the muffins to make sure it comes out clean. Then remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
Cooking tips + variations
- Make sure to use a good amount of nonstick spray so the muffins don’t get stuck to the pan.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to evenly fill each muffin cup with batter (it should be 3/4 of the way full).
- This recipe is forgiving, you can cut the sugar in half if you prefer them not as sweet.
- For more savory Mexican cornbread muffins, cut out the sugar and try adding in 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green chiles or jalapenos. You could also add in 1/2 cup creamed corn.
- Turn these into corn dog muffins by adding a hot dog in the center of each. My kids love this version!
- Make cornbread croutons or cornbread stuffing with any leftovers that you need to use up.
Favorites to Spread on Top
These muffins taste amazing warm with any of the below spread on top. My personal favorites are butter, honey or cinnamon butter. Seriously so yummy!
Freezing + Reheating
These muffins hold up great in the freezer. Once they’ve cooled, wrap them individually in foil or place in a freezer bag. They’ll keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, let them thaw in the fridge overnight or at room temp until they’re no longer frozen. Then re-wrap in foil and place in the oven at 350°F until warmed throughout.
Serve Muffins With:
Cornbread Muffin Recipe
- 3/4 cup milk , I used 2%
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted and cooled slightly (1 stick)
For serving: Butter and honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter or spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside. Pour 3/4 cup milk into a measuring cup and then whisk in the honey and eggs.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the milk mixture and stir just until combined. Then stir in the melted butter. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into muffin pans (each cup should be about 3/4 full). Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes, or until muffin tops are nice and golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Best served warm with a little butter and honey (if desired) on top.
- To freeze: Let cool completely, then wrap in aluminum foil or place in a freezer bag. Store in freezer for 1-2 months.
- Thawing: Place in refrigerator overnight or thaw at room temp until soft and fluffy (no longer frozen).
- Reheating: Re-wrap in aluminium foil and place in oven at 350°F until warmed throughout.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!