This sweet cornbread is one of my favorites to make during the fall. It’s super moist, fluffy and pairs perfectly with a hot bowl of chili.
Family Favorite Cornbread Recipe
One my my favorite meals to make this time of year is a big pot of homemade chili with this perfect cornbread. It’s so comforting on a chilly day and something I know my whole family will enjoy.
This homemade cornbread is so delicious! It’s more on the sweet side, but not overly sweet like cake. It still pairs perfectly with all of your favorite savory soups. The texture is spot on and is so soft and fluffy.
This cornbread also tastes amazing served warm with a slab of butter and a little bit of honey drizzled over the top. You can even use it to make delicious side dishes like my easy cornbread stuffing. Trust me, this is the best cornbread you’ll ever try!
How to Make Sweet Cornbread
- MIX. Whisk together the milk, honey and eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour in the milk mixture and stir until combined. Then stir in the melted butter.
- POUR. Pour the batter into a buttered 9×9″ baking pan.
- BAKE. Bake in oven at 350°F for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Make sure not to over mix the batter (or else the bread could get chewy). It’s okay if the batter still has a few small lumps.
- You can also make cornbread muffins with this batter. Pour into a 12-cup muffin tin and bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden.
- For a less sweet version, simply cut the sugar in half.
- Give it a savory twist by cutting out the sugar and adding jalapenos, shredded cheddar cheese and creamed corn to make Mexican cornbread.
- If you have leftover bread, try making cornbread croutons to top a fall salad or bowl of pumpkin chili.
Storing + Freezing
To store: This cornbread can be stored at room temperature for about 1 to 2 days or in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. Just make sure to wrap in foil and store in a zip top bag (this keeps it nice and moist).
Freezing: Let the bread cool, then wrap in aluminum foil and place in a freezer bag. Add a freezer label so you easily know the expiration. Then store in the freezer (will last for a couple of months).
Reheating: To thaw, place cornbread in the refrigerator overnight or thaw at room temperature until soft and fluffy (no longer frozen). To reheat, re-wrap in aluminium foil and place in oven at 350°F until warmed throughout.
Favorite Soups to Serve With:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×9″ pan and set aside. Gather ingredients and then pour 3/4 cup milk into a measuring cup. Whisk in the honey and eggs.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the milk mixture and stir just until combined. Then stir in the melted butter. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean from the center.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Slice into 16 squares. Best served warm with a little butter and honey (if desired) on top.
- To store: Can be stored at room temp for 1-2 days. Wrap in foil and store in a zip top bag.
- To freeze: Let cool completely, then wrap in aluminum foil or place in a freezer bag. Store in freezer for 1-2 months.
- Thawing: Place in refrigerator overnight or thaw at room temp until soft and fluffy (no longer frozen).
- Reheating: Re-wrap in aluminium foil and place in oven at 350° until warmed throughout.