This moist and fluffy sweet cornbread is one of my favorites to make during the fall. It pairs perfectly with a hot bowl of chili. This is the best cornbread recipe!
Have I mentioned how much I love October? As busy as this month always seems to get, this is my favorite time of year (besides Christmas). One my my favorite meals to make this time of year is a big pot of chili with moist cornbread. It’s so comforting on a chilly day and something I know my whole family will enjoy.
This homemade cornbread is more on the sweet side, but not overly sweet like cake. It still pairs perfectly with all your favorite savory soups. Nothing better than gathering with friends and family to enjoy the meal too!
Easy cornbread recipe ingredients
If you’re looking for an easy cornbread recipe to make this fall, definitely give this one a try. This recipe takes no time to make, is so soft and fluffy and has the perfect flavor. It uses all your basic ingredients such as:
- yellow cornmeal
- baking powder
- kosher salt
How to make cornbread
This sweet cornbread comes together easily in one bowl and can be made in a 9×9″ pan for thicker cornbread or a muffin pan for individual servings. Scroll down for the printable sweet cornbread recipe.
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 350°F and then butter a 9×9″ pan and set aside.
- Whisk wet ingredients. Pour 3/4 cup milk into measuring cup and then whisk in honey and eggs.
- Stir dry ingredients & combine wet and dry mixtures. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the milk mixture and stir just until combined. Then stir in the melted butter. Be careful not to over mix.
- Bake. Pour cornbread mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean from the center. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Sweet cornbread is best served warm with a little butter and honey (if desired) on top.
How to make sweet cornbread muffins
You can easily turn this cornbread recipe into sweet cornbread muffins. Just make the cornbread batter the exact same way, however pour into a 12-cup muffin tin instead of a baking pan (each cup should be about 3/4 full). Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes, or until muffin tops are nice and golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
Can cornbread be left out over night?
Yes, this cornbread can be stored at room temperature for about 1 to 2 days. Just make sure to wrap in foil and store in a zip top bag (this keeps it nice and moist). If you want to extend the shelf life of your cornbread, it will keep in the fridge for about 2-3 days or in the freezer for a few months.
Can cornbread be frozen?
Yes! This sweet cornbread recipe freezes really well. Make sure the cornbread has cooled, then either wrap in aluminum foil or place in a freezer bag. Add a freezer label so you easily know the expiration. Then store in the freezer (will last for a couple of months).
To thaw, place cornbread in the refrigerator overnight or thaw at room temperature until soft and fluffy (no longer frozen). To reheat, re-wrap in aluminium foil and place in oven at 350° until warmed throughout.
What goes with cornbread?
Butter & Spreads: We love to serve this sweet cornbread while it’s still warm with a slab of butter and a little bit of honey drizzled over the top. It adds the perfect flavor and added sweetness! We also like to top with strawberry jam or apple butter.
Casseroles: You can’t go wrong serving cornbread alongside delicious casseroles. We especially love to make it when baking chicken broccoli rice casserole.
Meats: We love to make this sweet cornbread recipe when making hearty recipes with chicken, beef or pork. Some of our favorites are one pan chicken with apples, dijon chicken and potatoes, slow cooker beef bourguignon and pork tenderloin.
Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted and cooled slightly (1 stick)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×9″ pan and set aside.
- Pour 3/4 cup milk into a measuring cup and then whisk in the honey and eggs.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the milk mixture and stir just until combined. Then stir in the melted butter. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean from the center. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Best served warm with a little butter and honey (if desired) on top.
- To store: Cornbread can be stored at room temp for 1-2 days. Wrap in foil and store in a zip top bag.
- To freeze: Let cool completely, then wrap in aluminum foil or place in a freezer bag. Store in freezer for 1-2 months.
- Thawing: Place in refrigerator overnight or thaw at room temp until soft and fluffy (no longer frozen).
- Reheating: Re-wrap in aluminium foil and place in oven at 350° until warmed throughout.