This sweet cornbread is one of my favorites to make during the fall. It’s super moist, fluffy and pairs perfectly with a hot bowl of chili.
Table of Contents
Family Favorite Cornbread Recipe
One my my favorite meals to make this time of year is a big pot of homemade chili with this perfect cornbread (beans and corn are always a match made in heaven). It’s so comforting on a chilly day and something I know my whole family will enjoy.
This homemade cornbread with honey is so delicious! It’s more on the sweet side, but not overly sweet like cake. It still pairs perfectly with all of your favorite savory soups, such as this easy taco soup or hearty vegetable soup. The texture is spot on and is so soft, tender and fluffy.
This sweet cornbread also tastes amazing served warm with a slab of butter and a little bit of honey drizzled over the top. You can even use it to make delicious side dishes like my easy cornbread stuffing. Trust me, this is the best cornbread recipe you’ll ever try!
Why This Recipe Works
- So moist. Thanks to the addition of honey this cornbread ends up being moist with a little sweetness.
- Pantry staples. The recipe uses ingredients you more than likely have on hand, so can be made spur-of-the-moment.
- Flexible. Bake into squares, make into mini muffins, or turn into cornbread stuffing, no problem.
- Fan favorite. The sweet and savory cornbread is a hit with family and friends.
Less than 10 ingredients needed to make this sweet cornbread recipe. Most of these are baking staples, which I bet you already have in your pantry. Check them out below.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Baking staples: All-purpose flour, eggs, milk, granulated sugar, baking powder (leavener) and salt.
- Cornmeal: A ground flour made from dried corn. Yellow cornmeal adds that distinct corn flavor without having to add in any fresh corn kernels.
- Honey: Not only does it add the perfect sweetness, but it also helps to make the cornbread moist.
- Butter: Use salted butter for more flavor and richness.
For a less sweet version, simply use half of the amount of granulated sugar. You can also give it a savory twist by cutting out the sugar and adding jalapenos, shredded cheddar cheese and creamed corn to make Mexican cornbread.
How to Make Sweet Cornbread
Prepped in just 10 minutes, this easy recipe for sweet cornbread is one you’ll come back to again and again! It’s the perfect side dish for all your favorite comfort meals and is so easy to make. Follow the simple steps below to get started.
- Dry ingredients. Mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, honey and eggs. Pour the milk mixture in with the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Then stir in the melted butter.
- Pour. Pour the batter into a buttered 9×9″ baking dish.
- Bake. Bake in oven at 350°F for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
Sweet Cornbread Muffins
You can also make cornbread muffins with this batter. Pour into a 12-cup muffin tin and bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden.
- Make sure not to over mix the batter (or else the bread could get chewy). It’s okay if the batter still has a few small lumps.
- Serve the bread warm with a slab or cinnamon butter or an extra drizzle of honey for the ultimate bite. Sweet cornbread at it’s finest!
- If you have leftover bread, try making cornbread croutons to top a fall salad or bowl of pumpkin chili.
No reason why you can’t make skillet cornbread! Just make sure you butter the skillet really well before adding the batter. The baking time may be shorter, so I would keep a close eye on it and check it closely after 20 minutes.
Yes, swap the all-purpose flour for gluten-free all-purpose flour and use gluten-free cornmeal.
Yes and no. This recipe doubles easily, but you might end up with more batter than you need for 1 9×13-inch dish. If this is the case, maybe make a few extra mini muffins and freeze them for a later date.
As I mentioned above, I love this sweet cornbread with homemade chili, but I also love it with BBQ chicken, turkey meatloaf, slow cooker ribs, and ham and bean soup.
Cornmeal comes from grinding whole grain corn, and comes in different grain sizes. I like to use a medium grind cornmeal because it gives a nice texture without a lot of crumbs.
You may see white, yellow, or even blue cornmeal and that is because the color depends on the type of corn being used. White cornmeal tends to be preferred for baking, but yellow is a little sweeter and the type I like for this recipe.
Storing + Freezing
To store: This sweet cornbread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for about 1 to 2 days or in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. Just make sure to wrap in foil and store in a zip top bag (this keeps it nice and moist).
Freezing: Let the bread cool, then wrap in aluminum foil and place in a freezer bag. Add a freezer label so you easily know the expiration. Then store in the freezer (will last for a couple of months).
Reheating: To thaw, place cornbread in the refrigerator overnight or thaw at room temperature until soft and fluffy (no longer frozen). To reheat, re-wrap in aluminum foil and place in oven at 350°F until warmed throughout.
Looking for more cornbread recipes? Check out Mexican cornbread, cornbread stuffing, chili and cornbread skillet, and easy cornbread salad.
Favorite Soups to Serve WithBrowse all
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 large eggs , whisked
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ cup salted butter , melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×9-inch baking dish.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together milk, honey, and eggs.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon. Add in the milk mixture and stir just until combined. Stir in the melted butter, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour evenly into baking dish. Bake 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean from the center.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Slice into 16 squares. Best served warm with a little butter and honey, if desired, on top.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
My family loved this cornbread. Super moist. Easy to make.
Anyone recommend a specific honey for this?
I typically just buy the Kirkland brand from Costco :)
Very good cornbread. I’ve been looking for a sweet cornbread and finally found the right recipe. This is a keeper.
I am glad your search is over, Rita. We have this on repeat at our house!
I love that this bread is not super sweet, just right for my taste! This recipe is so spot on, instructions were great so the result is also amazingly good!
I’m so happy to hear it was a success, Natasha! Thanks for your comment and review :)
Thanks a lot for this great sweet corn bread recipe! Super soft and enjoyable to eat! Loved this, will have this again! Highly recommended!
Honey is the key to perfect cornbread and this recipe is PERFECT! so tender and so good!
We agree! So glad to hear it was a success, Rebecca!