A hearty homemade chili recipe made in one pot, making dinner a breeze! Perfectly seasoned and full of delicious flavor.
As soon as fall arrives, I love to make all types of soup recipes. They’re easy, delicious and super comforting. This beef chili recipe is a favorite, as well as taco soup, hearty vegetable soup, lasagna soup and chicken tortilla soup.
With fall just around the corner, I thought I would share one of my favorite chili recipes. There’s just something about the air turning crisp that makes me want to make a big pot of warm chili. It’s the perfect comfort meal to enjoy on a cool, fall day!
This recipe is super easy and tasty! Not too spicy, not too sweet…just right! Plus it only takes 10 minutes to prep, then let it simmer and do all the work!
Perfect for your next get together or chili cook off! Everyone will rave over how flavorful and delicious it is. Add more seasoning or peppers to kick up the heat if preferred! And don’t forget to serve with a piece of sweet cornbread or a cornbread muffin. ;)
- Meat: I love to use ground beef, but you could use ground turkey if preferred.
- Veggies: Add in chopped onions and bell peppers for extra flavor.
- Beans: A mix of light red kidney beans, dark red kidney beans and black beans.
- Spices: Season with salt, pepper, chili seasoning and brown sugar.
- Broth: I used beef broth for a heartier flavor, but chicken broth works too.
- Tomatoes: Add in tomato sauce, salsa and Rotel.
How to make chili
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make! The prep time is quick and all that’s left is for the soup to simmer. To get started, follow the simple steps below.
- Saute beef, onions and pepper. Add ground beef, onions and bell peppers to a large saucepan over medium-heat. Sauté until meat is browned and veggies are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain grease if needed.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. Taste and add more salt, pepper, salsa or chili seasoning if needed.
- Add toppings and enjoy! Serve hot with your favorite toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, cornbread croutons or tortilla strips.
Chili makes an amazing freezer meal! It holds up really well and is one of my favorite recipes to freeze. To freeze your homemade chili, check out the easy tips below.
- Freezing: Allow chili to cool completely. Add to a zip top bag or freezer container. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Remove from freezer and place in fridge or microwave to thaw. Add to a pot and simmer over low heat until warm.
- Use a freezer meal label for easy organizing.
- You could portion out several servings for meal prep and then freeze.
- Don’t fill up your bag or container all the way. Leave a little room for the chili to expand.
- If chili has thickened from freezing, add a few tablespoons of beef broth when reheating to thin out the consistency.
More chili recipes:
- Healthy Turkey Chili
- White Chicken Chili
- 3-Ingredient Chili
- Chili and Cornbread Skillet
- Pumpkin Chili
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15 ounce can beef broth
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa , optional
- 15 ounce can light red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 10.5 ounce can Rotel
- 2-3 Tablespoons chili seasoning , about 1 package
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar , optional
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, cilantro
- In a large saucepan over medium-heat, combine the ground beef, onion and bell peppers. Saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if needed.
- Add all other ingredients. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more salsa or chili seasoning if you'd like to take up the heat.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings.