Easy, healthy and delicious grilled shrimp skewers coated in an herbed lemon garlic marinade. The perfect spring and summer barbecue dish!
Easy Skewered Grilled Shrimp
Summer is right around the corner, which means it’s time to break out your grill and get barbecuing! And first on the list? These grilled shrimp skewers! They’re easy, healthy and absolutely delicious.
My husband is usually our grill master and loves to make chicken kabobs and grilled steak kabobs. I get sort of nervous grilling meats because I’m never sure when they’re done cooking. I’m always afraid of overcooking and undercooking. But when it comes to shrimp, that’s my specialty. I always know when it’s done cooking because it turns from gray to pink – easy peasy!
One of the reasons why these grilled shrimp skewers are so awesome is because there’s no frying or covering in sauces. This shrimp is marinated in a deliciously simple lemon garlic oil marinade that’s quick to make and adds so much flavor. Another reason is because simply put, skewers are cool. Everyone likes grilled meat or fish on skewers!
Grilled Shrimp Skewers Marinade
For super flavorful shrimp skewers, it’s important to let the shrimp soak in the marinade for about 30 to 90 minutes. I love this marinade because it’s simple, yet has a bold flavor.
Simply whisk the below ingredients together, then toss with the shrimp and let marinate. Don’t forget to reserve 1 Tablespoon of the marinade for serving!
- Olive oil: Adding a high quality olive oil adds moisture to the shrimp and allows the seasoning to stick.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds a bright citrus flavor. The acidity from the lemon also helps to tenderize the shrimp.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds a bold, pungent flavor that pairs wonderfully with the fresh lemon and seasonings. Check out tips on how to mince garlic easily.
- Parsley: Chopped Italian flat leaf parsley is an aromatic herb that enhances the flavor of the marinade even more.
- Seasonings: A simple dash of salt, pepper and Italian seasoning is all that’s needed to let the natural flavors of the shrimp shine through.
More Garlic Flavor
For a stronger garlic flavor, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add sliced garlic and cook until soft. Then add the lemon juice and seasonings. Let cool, then pour over shrimp to marinate.
How to Grill Shrimp Skewers
Once the shrimp has had time to marinate, it’s time to thread them onto skewers and grill. Follow the simple steps below to get started.
- Thread. Start by threading the marinated, uncooked shrimp onto skewers until full and then place in a 9×13″ pan. If you are using wooden skewers, it’s important to soak them in water for about 15 minutes before using to prevent burning.
- Grill. Make sure the grill is preheated to high heat before using. Then grill the skewers on each side for about 3 minutes They will be pink and firm when ready.
- Brush. Remove the skewers from the grill and brush the reserved marinade on top for more flavor. Top with freshly chopped parsley and lemon slices before serving!
Sauces and Condiments
Take this skewered grilled shrimp up a notch and serve with one of the delicious condiments below.
- Mango salsa: I never make shrimp skewers without making a fresh mango salsa. The two pair perfectly together and taste so flavorful and delicious.
- Pineapple salsa: Whip up this easy grilled pineapple salsa at the same time the shrimp cooks.
- Garlic aioli: A creamy garlic aioli is the perfect dipping sauce for this recipe.
- Tartar sauce: This tangy homemade tartar sauce pairs perfectly with all types of fish, including these shrimp skewers!
- Basil pesto: Spread some homemade basil pesto on top during the summer months when fresh basil is abundant.
- Chimichurri: With just a few more ingredients, you can make a homemade chimichurri sauce that makes this recipe next level delicious.
- The shrimp must be peeled before marinating and grilling. Check out this easy tutorial.
- Be sure to soak your wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes to keep them from burning. Alternatively, you can use metal skewers instead.
- You can use frozen uncooked shrimp, however make sure they are thawed completely before grilling.
- I wouldn’t recommend using precooked shrimp. It has a tendency to taste rubbery and extra chewy when grilled.
Feel free to use fresh lime juice instead of lemon if preferred. You can also use garlic powder in place of minced garlic, or add in other fresh herbs or seasonings such as oregano, paprika or red pepper flakes.
Ways to Serve Shrimp Skewers
There are plenty of ways to enjoy these shrimp skewers! Below are a few of our favorites.
- Over rice: Shrimp with mango salsa tastes amazing served over white rice, coconut rice or cilantro lime rice.
- Tacos: Serve in flour tortillas with mango salsa and a cilantro lime dressing.
- Lettuce wraps: Take the low carb route and serve inside a lettuce wrap instead
- Salad: Serve over a simple chopped salad or Mediterranean quinoa salad.
- With sides: While the grill is hot, try making grilled veggies, vegetable skewers or grilled asparagus to serve alongside this dish.
More Easy Grilling Recipes
- Grilled Salmon: So flaky and beautifully charred.
- Easy Grilled Chicken: Moist, juicy and ready in just 20 minutes.
- Turkey Burgers: Made with only 5 ingredients.
- Skirt Steak Tacos: A flavorful Taco Tuesday favorite.
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- 4 wooden skewers (soaked in water for 15 minutes)
For Topping (optional)
- Chopped parsley
- Lemon slices
- Mango Salsa
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, Italian seasoning salt and pepper. Reserve 1 Tablespoon of the marinade for serving, if desired. Add the shrimp and toss together. Marinate for 30-90 minutes.
- Thread uncooked shrimp onto soaked skewers and place in a 9×13" pan.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Grill marinated shrimp for about 3 minutes on each side, or until pink and firm.
- Remove from grill and brush on the 1 Tablespoon reserved marinade, if desired. Serve while warm. Add chopped parsley and lemon slices on top.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!