This easy BBQ pulled pork takes just 5 minutes to prep with 5 simple ingredients. It’s perfectly juicy and tender, with delicious BBQ flavor. Make it in the crockpot OR instant pot!
Table of Contents
Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
This is one of the easiest slow cooker recipes out there. Slow cooking the pork really helps to make the meat super tender and flavorful. It’s so delicious! If you’d rather use a leaner cut of meat, check out my crockpot BBQ chicken.
BBQ pork sandwiches are one of my go to recipes to make in the summer time. They are perfect for family get-togethers and backyard BBQ’s. This recipe only takes 5 ingredients to make and 5 minutes to prep. It cooks ALL day, so make sure to put it on the slow cooker first thing in the morning. This is my favorite recipe because it is SO easy and the meat is so juicy and tender.
We love serving this BBQ pulled pork as sandwiches on a bun or homemade dinner rolls, on top of nachos, cobb salads and more! It’s even good wrapped in a homemade tortilla or lettuce wrap. This is one of those meals the whole family will love!
How to Make Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker
- Wash and dry. Make sure to wash the pork first, then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season. Place the pork in the slow cooker, then pierce a few times with a fork. Pour in 1/2 cup water, BBQ sauce and liquid smoke, then season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in crockpot. Cook on low until the pork easily shreds, about 10 hours.
- Shred and enjoy. Remove from slow cooker and shred the meat using 2 forks. Discard any excess fat. Then transfer the pork back to the pot with the juices and let rest for about 15 minutes. Serve on a hamburger bun or on top of a salad.
- Don’t disturb the pork. Make sure to leave the lid sealed the entire cooking time, so that it steams and gets super tender.
- You do not need to sear the meat first, however if you’d like to you can sear it in a pan over medium heat with a little oil. Cook each side about 2 minutes, then move to the slow cooker.
- You can use store bought sauce (I prefer Sweet Baby Ray’s) or homemade BBQ sauce. You could even mix two sauces together to get a sweet and smoky flavor.
Can I use an Instant Pot?
Absolutely! Simply follow these instructions below.
- Cut the meat into 4 pieces.
- Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot with and extra 1/2 cup water and seal the lid.
- Set to cook at high pressure for 60 minutes. Then do a natural release for 15 minutes. If pork is frozen, increase time to 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Ways to Use Leftover BBQ Pulled Pork
- Add to a BBQ chicken pizza (in place of the chicken)
- Add to a BBQ chicken salad (in place of the chicken)
- BBQ nachos
- Pulled BBQ pork quesadillas
Favorite Sides to Serve Alongside
Pulled Pork Recipe
- 3-4 pounds boneless pork loin or shoulder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups BBQ sauce
- 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke , optional but recommended
- Wash pork and then pat dry.
- Place in the slow cooker. Pierce pork several times. Add 1/2 cup water. Pour BBQ sauce and liquid smoke over the top. Then sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Cook on low for 10 hours, or until it easily shreds.
- Cut into 4 chunks, pierce with a fork, then place in the instant pot. Add 1 cup water. Pour BBQ sauce and liquid smoke over the top. Then sprinkle salt on top. Place lid on top and set to high pressure. Cook for 60 minutes and then do a natural slow release for 10 minutes.
- Remove pork and shred with 2 forks. Remove any excess fat.
- Place back in the pot and let sit in the juices for 15 minutes, or until ready to serve. Serve on a bun, on top of a potato or on a salad.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!