This orzo salad is one of my favorite summer side dishes! Topped with a delicious homemade vinaigrette, this orzo pasta is so fresh and loaded with fantastic flavor. Such a healthy and filling side dish recipe!
Summer is coming and I cannot wait! We love grilling hamburgers and chicken kabobs in the summer time, so I’m always on the hunt for delicious sides to go with it. This orzo salad is so fresh and filling and is the perfect side dish recipe!
This orzo salad is so tasty and such an easy side dish to whip up quickly. It has become one of my favorite summer recipes and a dish that guests love. It tastes so fresh and delicious!
I adapted this orzo pasta salad from Giada’s cookbook. The main thing that I changed was that I only made half of the dressing, used less onion and more tomatoes. She also adds fresh mint to hers and I did try it with fresh mint (which definitely adds a nice touch), but I don’t think it’s necessary to buy it just for this recipe. If you have it in your garden, definitely add some in. So delicious!
Along with the fresh veggies and herb, the dressing helps give this dish it’s delicious flavor. To make it, simply whisk the below ingredients together in a bowl or shake in a jar. Then taste, and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
Variations for this orzo salad
- Add grilled chicken and feta cheese to make it a main dish
- Use parsley instead of basil and add in cucumbers, sliced olives and feta cheese to turn it into a Greek version
- Add in chopped bell peppers and cucumbers for more veggies
- Omit the chickpeas and add in your other favorite vegetables
- Add fresh mint for even more flavor
Make ahead option
You can easily make this dish the night before or morning of if preferred. Prepare as directed, but make sure to reserve some of the vinaigrette to toss into the salad right before serving. This keeps it from drying out. Then cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
You’ll like these other Summer salads too:
- Pesto chicken salad
- The BEST cucumber tomato salad
- Ramen noodle cabbage salad
- Mediterranean quinoa salad
- Greek pasta salad
Orzo Salad Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the broth in a large pot over high heat. Add the orzo and cover slightly with a lid. Cook for 7 minutes, or until cooked. Drain and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk together (or shake in a jar) the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper for the dressing. Add more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil and enough vinaigrette to coat. If serving later in the day, reserve some of the dressing to toss into the orzo pasta right before serving. Refrigerate orzo salad until ready to serve.