Easy Greek salad recipe with chopped veggies, feta cheese and a simple homemade dressing. Full of fresh flavor and made in less than 30 minutes!
Greek cucumber tomato salad
I love to make a big Greek salad during the summer time. It’s simple, pretty and the perfect way to incorporate fresh veggies. Plus the homemade dressing is super tasty and easy to whip up. Authentic Greek salads include a simple dressing made with olive oil and vinegar, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, olives and feta cheese. Lots of feta cheese!
This is the perfect recipe to bring to a BBQ and was such a huge hit with the crowd. Everyone went for seconds and the bowl was empty soon after it started. You can even serve it with grilled chicken and warm pita bread or naan bread to make this a complete meal. So delicious!
What’s in it?
Below are the base ingredients you’ll need to get started, most of which come straight from the garden! It’s the perfect summer salad to make when you have lots of fresh veggies and herbs to use up.
- Veggies: This salad is full of chopped cucumbers, grape tomatoes, red onion and yellow bell peppers. Make sure the vegetables are ripe to touch, fragrant to smell and have a crisp exterior.
- Olives: Kalamata olives or black olives will both work. I know olives are hit or miss with most people, so you can leave them out if you’re not a fan.
- Cheese: You can’t have a Greek salad without feta cheese. And lots of it, too!
- Dressing: The homemade dressing is an easy vinaigrette made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano and fresh chopped parsley. You can tweak the flavor by adding a little Italian seasoning or dijon mustard.
What to serve with
You can serve this Greek salad as both a main dish or a side dish. When serving as an entrée, I like to add some grilled chicken or chickpeas for protein. If serving as a side, below are some yummy options to accompany it with:
- Pita bread and hummus or dill dip
- Greek chicken burgers or turkey burgers
- Chicken gyro
- Chicken kabobs, steak kabobs or lamb skewers
- Grilled salmon
Tips + variations
- Chop evenly. Dice the veggies into evenly sized pieces so that each bite is filled with a nice variety.
- Crisp veggies. I like to use English cucumbers and grape tomatoes because they’re more crisp and firm, so they hold up well in the salad.
- Feta. I like to buy a block of feta cheese and use my hands to crumble it up. I find the blocks are more fresh and creamy than the containers of pre-crumbled feta.
- Add extras. Feel free to add in extras, like chickpeas, sliced avocado, artichokes or even sliced grilled chicken.
- Greens. A traditional greek salad does not include lettuce (or any type of greens), but that doesn’t mean you can’t add them in! Feel free to chop up some greens and add them to the bowl before layering on all of the other ingredients, similar to a Mediterranean salad.
- Pasta salad. Turn this into a greek pasta salad by mixing in some cooked rotini. This would also taste delicious with cooked quinoa.
- Let chill. This salad will need to chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before serving to give the flavors time to marinate together.
Storing + make ahead
This recipe will keep in the fridge for about 3 days if sealed in an airtight container. You can also make it ahead of time if you prefer, although I’d recommend only preparing it 1 day in advance so that the vegetables stay crisp and fresh. On the day of serving, you can add in a little more dressing to give it more moisture if needed.
More potluck salads:
- Caprese salad
- Orzo salad with vinaigrette
- Mediterranean quinoa salad
- Tomato cucumber salad
- Watermelon feta salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar , or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley , more to taste
- S&P, to taste
- 1 English cucumber , quartered
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes , halved
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata or black olives , sliced in half
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, oregano and parsley in a small bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, olives and feta in a medium-sized bowl. Then pour the dressing over the top and toss until combined.
- Add more feta and parsley as desired. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes before serving.