Easy to make fish taco sauce is the best way to top your fish tacos. Creamy, tangy, and with the perfect amount of spice, this smooth sauce is big on flavor and taste!
Table of Contents
Easy and Creamy
Adding a sauce to any dish is one of the easiest ways to boost flavor, and this fish taco sauce does not disappoint! It is the perfect topping for all your fish and seafood tacos and more.
This creamy white sauce for fish tacos is so easy to make, too! Just 5 minutes and one bowl is all you need, then chill until ready to use. It really is the perfect sauce to top off any fish dish!
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make. Five minutes, one bowl, and a whisk is all you need, it doesn’t get any easier than that.
- Flavorful. You will be amazed at how tasty just a few ingredients are when combined in this easy fish tacos sauce. You will want to put it on everything!
- Simple ingredients. Easily find any of these ingredients at just about any grocery store.
- Perfect amount of heat. Sriracha sauce gives this sauce just the right kick! Use more or less depending on your taste.
This creamy white sauce is the best fish tacos sauce with only a few ingredients that are commonly found in most kitchens.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Sour cream and mayonnaise: These two creamy ingredients are the foundation of this sauce with their sweet and sour taste. If you prefer to not use mayo, try Greek yogurt!
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice for the best acidic tang. While you could use lemon juice, lime is more commonly found in Mexican-inspired sauces.
- Garlic powder: Using garlic powder vs. raw garlic is better as it gives the sauce a subtle taste that doesn’t overpower your other tangy creamy ingredients.
- Sriracha: Adds the perfect amount of spicy, use your preferred brand and add more to taste.
- Healthier: Swap your mayonnaise and sour cream for 2% Greek yogurt. It adds plenty of creamy richness and tang.
- Spicy: Play around with adding additional spices like chili powder, cayenne pepper, or even chopped chipotle peppers.
- Other seasonings: Classic Mexican spices like cumin or coriander could be added for even more flavor.
How to Make Fish Taco Sauce
This quick fish sauce really doesn’t even need directions, it’s so simple. Grab your whisk and bowl, let’s make it!
- Whisk together all your ingredients in a small bowl.
- Taste test to determine if your sauce needs additional lime juice or sriracha for more flavor or desired consistency. Serve with your favorite fish tacos!
- Mayo gives this sauce signature flavor and more authentic taste. While you can substitute Greek yogurt to make it healthier, using just a bit of mayo will add more rich creaminess.
- For a thinner fish sauce that can be drizzled, thin out your sauce with additional lime juice or water.
- This fish taco sauce recipe yields about 1 cup of sauce. Halve it or double it depending on your needs.
Yes, I actually encourage you make this in advance. The flavors will meld together as it sits in the fridge and develop into even more creamy deliciousness.
In addition to this sauce, shredded lettuce, cabbage or slaw, diced red onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice always taste amazing.
While the two are both creamy sauces used for Mexican inspired tacos, Baja sauce usually contains Parmesan cheese and chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (or other seasonings).
As the name implies, this recipe is meant for serving with fish tacos.
I use this seasoned baked tilapia for my tacos, then serve them on corn tortillas with a quick slaw, and top it all with this sauce. Pico de gallo usually makes an appearance, as well, so good!
You can also serve this sauce with shrimp tacos, any whitefish recipe, grilled meat, or even give your veggies a flavor boost with it!
A little goes a long way when you use this sauce and it should last a week in the refrigerator when stored in an air tight container. Since it does contain dairy, always check before using, though.
More Easy Sauce RecipesBrowse all
Fish Taco Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice (2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sriracha sauce , plus more to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, and sriracha. Chill until ready to use.
- Lay 1 tortilla flat and spread the sauce on the inside. Add cooked fish and top with desired toppings and a squeeze of lime juice.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!