Who knew Homemade BBQ Sauce was so easy to make?! Plus it tastes amazing with the perfect sweet and spicy flavor. Ditch the store-bought stuff and make this simple recipe for the best BBQ sauce!
This homemade BBQ sauce has amazing flavor and tastes great on grilled chicken, chicken wings, ribs, meatballs…you name it! It’s so easy to whip up and is so versatile. You’ll never want to buy store-bought BBQ sauce again!
If you’ve never made homemade barbecue sauce, you are missing out! It may sound a little intimidating at first, but believe me, it is SO simple to make. Plus this BBQ sauce recipe has so much flavor and is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
When I first made this homemade barbecue sauce, it was because I was craving a BBQ chicken pizza and we ran out of the store-bought sauce. Little did I know it was so easy to make my own and I already had all of the ingredients on hand. Win!
You simply just heat all of the BBQ sauce ingredients on the stove and let it simmer until it thickens. Then you’re left with a delicious homemade BBQ sauce that has amazing flavor. It tastes great on chicken, meatballs, ribs…you name it. So many delicious ways to use it up!
BBQ sauce ingredients
This homemade BBQ sauce requires simple ingredients that you most likely already have on hand! Feel free to make substitutes as needed, like using molasses instead of honey or red or rice vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar. To give the BBQ sauce some extra heat, simply add in some red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce.
- Tomato sauce
- Brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
How to make BBQ sauce
Making your own barbecue sauce might sound a little intimidating, however it’s not at all! You simple just cook all the BBQ sauce ingredients on the stove until it thickens. Scroll down for the printable BBQ sauce recipe.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once sauce has thickened, salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to add in more seasonings, like red pepper flakes or hot sauce.
- Remove BBQ sauce from heat and allow to cool.
How long will homemade BBQ sauce last?
Once the homemade barbecue sauce has cooled, pour into a glass jar (like a mason jar) and store in the fridge. The BBQ sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (although it’s always gone faster than that in our house!).
Ways to use homemade BBQ sauce
There are SO many ways to use this homemade BBQ sauce! Below are a few of our favorites.
Chicken: BBQ sauce tastes amazing on chicken! It’s probably my favorite way to use it. Whether it’s grilled chicken, chicken wings or making a BBQ chicken salad, you really can’t go wrong. So easy and yummy!
Meatballs: BBQ meatballs are one of my absolute favorite appetizers! You can definitely use store-bought BBQ sauce to make them, however using this homemade BBQ sauce is the perfect way to use it up! You can also use the BBQ sauce to make crockpot little smokies, too!
Pizza: If you’ve never had a BBQ chicken pizza, you HAVE to try it! It’s seriously so delicious and has amazing flavor. I like to make my own homemade pizza crust, then top it with BBQ sauce, chicken, cheese, onions and peppers. Yum!
Ribs: Can you even have ribs without a delicious and smokey BBQ sauce?! That’s a no in my opinion. :) I love to make slow cooker ribs and coat them in this delicious barbecue sauce. They are fall-off-the-bone tender and taste amazing!
Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup honey (can sub with molasses)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or red or rice vinegar)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (more to taste)
Optional: S&P, red pepper flakes or dash of hot sauce, dash of liquid smoke.
- Combine the ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, honey, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and garlic powder in medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a light boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until it has begun to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more sugar and seasonings if desired. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.