This garlic aioli recipe is a way to elevate your everyday mayo into something irresistible! Creamy, rich, and tangy, it’s a sauce perfect for topping, spreading, and dipping pretty much anything!
Simple garlic aioli sauce
This easy garlic aioli is made with 5 ingredients and just 1 single step. Well, 2 if you count taste-testing a step :)
It’s one of those recipes that takes a simple concept of adding just a few extra ingredients to a common recipe and what comes out the other side is spectacular. It’s a step up from your everyday mayo, elevated with a depth of extra delicious garlicky lemon flavor.
Most of the time when we order something like this when eating out we never really consider how easy it is to make it at home. While this is definitely a short-cut version, it does rival the flavor of any aioli you’d find at a restaurant!
What is aioli?
Alright, so true aioli originally had nothing to do with mayo, believe it or not. It’s started off as a popular sauce in the Mediterranean consisting of a whipped emulsified blend of olive oil, garlic, and salt resulting in a creamy textured condiment. However, to be able to get to this creamy texture from olive oil and garlic takes a lot of effort, so a shortcut version was born. Hello, mayo.
These days, we can’t get enough of the creamy dreamy stuff, which is now basically the ingredients for mayo (whether store-bought or not) with added flavor variations such as garlic, and lemon, among many others.
Learning how to make garlic aioli is basically foolproof. Once you try it, you’ll look for any excuse to make it. Then you can try adding in a few different flavor options as listed below.
- Spicy – Add any of your favorite spices, like buffalo sauce, a sprinkling of cayenne, red pepper flakes, or some sriracha sauce. Some dijon mustard for a kick might also be nice!
- Roasted & Smokey – For a milder garlic flavor, roast bulbs of garlic to add to your aioli. You could also add some roasted red pepper or sundried tomatoes for a sweet and smoky note.
What to serve it with
It’s one of my favorite creamy and rich condiments that can be used on just about everything. I enjoy it on the side of anything grilled. Grilled salmon, grilled sweet potatoes, and all my grilled vegetables. My kids love using it to jazz up their hamburger with a little extra on the side for dipping sweet potato fries or french fries. To be honest, it’s the perfect way to get them to eat more veggies!
You can also use it as a creamy coleslaw dressing and a cracker and veggie dip too! It is also a great dipping sauce for appetizers like pigs in a blanket or breadsticks. Trust me, there’s always a reason to eat it!
Keep this garlic aioli sauce recipe stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
More creamy sauce recipes:
Easy Garlic Aioli
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 cloves garlic , 1 teaspoon minced
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Combine mayo, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk in until combined. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Serve with your meats, veggies and sides.