Easy Ham and Cheese Sliders with Poppyseed Sauce – Perfect appetizer or main dish recipe for game day, parties or the holidays. The best way to use up any leftover ham!
These Hawaiian roll sliders are one of my favorite easy ham recipes. They make the perfect appetizer and are so simple to make. A few of my other favorite appetizers are crockpot buffalo chicken dip, BBQ meatballs, 7-layer dip and cheese balls.
Hawaiian roll sliders
This “fancy” ham and cheese sliders recipe is one that you’ll want to bookmark! I know you’re probably thinking… ham and cheese rolls? Really? I promise this fun twist makes them absolutely delicious! My mom has made these ham sliders for awhile now, and they are always a big hit!
These Hawaiian roll sliders are one of our favorite ways to use up the leftover ham and rolls from the holidays (we also love potato and ham soup, ham & cheese quiche and ham and broccoli frittata). My mom made them for us last Christmas and everyone devoured them in a matter of minutes. They taste best fresh out of the oven while the cheese is still nice and melty! MMM…. can’t wait to make these again soon. ;)
How do you make ham and cheese sliders in the oven?
Preheat oven and butter your baking dish. Slice Hawaiian rolls in half horizontally using a large bread knife, keeping the rolls connected to each other while cutting. Then remove the top section and place on a cutting board.
Add bottom roll section to baking dish, then spread mayo on insides of both the bottom and top sections. Place ham and cheese slices on each roll in bottom section. Then add top roll section over the cheese slices and evenly match up with bottom rolls.
Pour the poppyseed sauce evenly over the ham sliders. Let sit about 10 minutes for sauce to soak in. Then cover with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes. Uncover and cook additional 2 minutes, or until top of rolls are brown. Serve while warm!
Poppyseed sauce for ham sliders
This poppyseed sauce adds such delicious flavor to the Hawaiian roll sliders! It’s super easy to make, too. Just follow the simple steps below.
- Whisk together butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder and poppy seeds in a small bowl.
- Pour sauce evenly over all of the ham sliders.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes, until sauce soaks in.
Frequently asked questions for ham and cheese sliders recipe
Can I make ham and cheese sliders without poppyseed? While I think the poppyseed sauce adds such great flavor, you can definitely make these ham sliders without it if you prefer. Just brush on some melted butter prior to baking. You could even add some garlic or other spices.
What cheese goes with ham? I like to use Swiss cheese for these ham sliders. However there are all types of cheese that will work, such as American, provolone, cheddar, pepper jack, etc.
What sides to serve with ham and cheese sliders? While these Hawaiian roll sandwiches make the perfect appetizer, they can also be eaten as a main dish! A few of our favorite sides to serve with ham sliders are fruit salad, roasted veggies, mashed potatoes and mac and cheese.
Can ham and cheese sliders be made ahead of time? To make these ham sliders the day before, assemble them with mayo, ham and cheese. Cover with foil and place in the fridge. Make the dressing ahead of time too, however hold off on adding it. The next day, pour dressing over the ham sliders and let soak for 10 minutes. After soaking, bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
Can you freeze ham and cheese sliders? Yes! Just wrap them individually in foil and freeze in an airtight zip top bag or container. Allow time to thaw before reheating.
Ham and Cheese Sliders Recipe
- 12 Hawaiian dinner rolls
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 slices deli ham (or leftover ham)
- 6 slices swiss cheese (cut in half)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/2 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (or minced onions)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a 9x13" baking dish.
- Slice Hawaiian rolls in half horizontally using a large bread knife. Make sure to keep the rolls connected to each other while cutting. Once sliced, remove the top section and place on a cutting board.
- Add bottom section to your baking dish. Spread mayo onto the insides of both the bottom and top sections. Then place a slice of ham and cheese on each roll in the bottom section. Add top roll section back to baking dish and evenly match up.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder and poppy seeds. Pour evenly over all of the rolls. Let sit about 10 minutes for sauce to soak in.
- Cover ham sliders with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 2 minutes to brown the top of the rolls. Best served while warm.