Creamy, thick and flavorful homemade ranch dressing that’s made in less than 5 minutes! Tastes great with salads, appetizers, veggies and more.
Homemade ranch dressing is so delicious and much easier to make than you may think! I love how thick and fresh the flavor tastes, especially with all the fresh herbs. It’s super creamy without feeling too heavy. It tastes perfect on a buffalo chicken salad or drizzled over a stuffed sweet potato.
This ranch dressing recipe is so simple and can be made in less than 5 minutes! Plus there are SO many ways to use it. It takes amazing over pretty much any salad, but my favorite to serve it over is my Cobb salad. It also makes a great dip for fresh veggies. And who can forget the appetizers?! Ranch dressing is the ultimate appetizer dip and tastes amazing served with jalapeno poppers, baked chicken wings and potato skins. Yum!
Tips for the best ranch dressing
- Fresh herbs. Using fresh parsley and dill makes a huge difference and really packs a punch of flavor. In this case, fresh is definitely best!
- Buttermilk. I like the tangy flavor that buttermilk adds and prefer it over regular milk. You can make your own homemade buttermilk by mixing together whole milk and distilled vinegar.
- Full fat. This is one of those recipes where it does make a difference to use full fat mayo, sour cream and buttermilk. It’s what gives the dressing that creamy base and rich flavors. You can always swap for lighter alternatives, it just may alter the taste a bit.
- Consistency. This is really a matter of preference. For a thicker dressing to dip with veggies, use less buttermilk. For a thinner salad dressing consistency, use more buttermilk. Add a little at a time until the dressing has reached your desired consistency.
- Let sit. Although you can definitely enjoy the dressing immediately after mixing, I like to let mine chill in the fridge for a few minutes to help the flavors marinate together. The longer it sits, the more flavor it will have. If the dressing thickens up too much while in the fridge, just mix in some extra buttermilk.
Favorite foods to eat with ranch
Ranch is one of those condiments that people like to put on everything! It’s so versatile and tastes great with salads, appetizers, veggies, pizza and more. Below are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy this delicious dressing.
- With fresh veggies like carrots, celery, cucumber, broccoli, peppers and tomatoes
- As an appetizer dip for jalapeno poppers, chicken wings or buffalo chicken meatballs
- Drizzled over a wedge salad or a steak salad
- As a dip for pizza or breadsticks
- Spooned on top of potato skins or twice baked potatoes
- Served for dipping with potato wedges or sweet potato fries
How long does it last?
One of the great things about this easy ranch dressing recipe is the longer shelf life! It will keep for up to 2 weeks if stored properly in the fridge. Just make sure to store in an airtight container or jar (we like to use mason jars). Although the ranch is already creamy and thick, it will thicken up a bit more once it sets in the fridge. Feel free to thin it out a little with a splash of buttermilk before serving.
More homemade dressing recipes:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice , more to taste
S&P, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Pour into a mason jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.