Blueberry Buttermilk Cake… this simple and sweet cake is quick and easy to make, and the perfect way to enjoy those fresh summer berries!
I have to confess, I am totally a dessert girl. I love to end the day with a little something sweet!
During the summer months, I love to stock up on all the fresh berries, and use them for making delicious treats. This blueberry buttermilk cake is a favorite around here. It’s simple to make, I nearly always have the ingredients on hand, and it tastes fantastic!
It really doesn’t get better than this – buttery, tender cake topped with lightly sweetened berries and baked to perfection! I like to bake mine in a pie plate, but you could also use a springform pan or a cake pan.
If you don’t like blueberries, or don’t have any on hand, you could substitute pretty much any fresh berries. I also like this cake with fresh peaches or pears on top. You really can’t go wrong!
The fresh blueberries add such great flavor to the cake! It’s almost like a giant blueberry muffin, but for dessert. The cake is perfect as is, but for an extra treat, you can serve it with freshly whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream. Yum!
This cake is perfect for bringing along to a summer potluck or picnic. It’s so delicious and easy that you’ll be making it all summer long!
Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar separated
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla, and mix until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until combined.
- Spread the batter in a butter 9 or 10 inch pie dish. Spread the blueberries over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake 50-60 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
If you love this easy, summery dessert, you’ll enjoy these too!