Blueberry Buttermilk Cake – Buttery, tender cake topped with lightly sweetened berries and baked to perfection! This simple and sweet blueberry cake is quick, easy and the perfect way to enjoy those fresh summer berries!
This blueberry cake is one of my favorite desserts to make during the spring and summer. It’s fresh, bright and has the perfect amount of sweetness. Some of my other favorites are lemon blueberry muffins, lemon bars, blackberry cheesecake bars and lemon blueberry zucchini bread.
I have to confess, I am totally a dessert girl. I love to end the day with a little something sweet! And during the spring and summer months, I love to stock up on all the fresh berries and use them for making delicious treats.
This blueberry buttermilk cake is a favorite around here. It’s simple to make, I nearly always have the ingredients on hand and it tastes fantastic! It really doesn’t get better than this – buttery, tender cake topped with lightly sweetened berries and baked to perfection!
The best thing about this cake is that it can be eaten for dessert or breakfast. It makes a delicious blueberry breakfast cake and is the perfect morning treat to enjoy on the weekends. Yum!
Ingredients for blueberry cake recipe
If you don’t like blueberries or don’t have any on hand, you could substitute pretty much any fresh berry. I also like this cake with fresh peaches or pears on top. You really can’t go wrong!
- Baking powder
How to make blueberry cake
Scroll down for the printable blueberry cake recipe.
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 350° degrees and butter a 9 or 10 inch pie dish.
- Beat butter and sugar. In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add wet ingredients, then add dry ingredients. Mix in egg, buttermilk and vanilla until combined. Then add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined.
- Add batter to baking dish. Spread out batter in a buttered pie dish. Then spread blueberries over top and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Bake and serve! Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm with homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
TIP: I like to bake my blueberry cake in a pie plate, but you could also use a springform pan or a cake pan.
Quick tips for blueberry buttermilk cake
- Feel free to sub blueberries for any type of berry. You can even use peaches or pears too.
- Sometimes I add a regular or lemon glaze on top. Simply combine 1 cup powdered sugar with the juice from 1 lemon. You can sub milk for lemon (use about 2-3 Tablespoons) and add a splash of vanilla.
- I like to use a pie plate when making this blueberry cake, but you could also use a springform pan or a cake pan.
- Serve with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream for the ultimate treat!
The fresh blueberries add such great flavor to the cake! It’s almost like a giant blueberry muffin, but for dessert. The blueberry cake is perfect as is, but for an extra treat, you can serve it with freshly whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Blueberry Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1 cup sugar (plus 2 Tablespoons) , separated
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350° and butter a 9 or 10 inch pie dish.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla and mix until combined. Then add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined.
- Spread the batter in the buttered pie dish, then spread the blueberries over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Originally written by Alicia from The Baker Upstairs.
This blueberry cake is perfect for bringing along to a summer potluck or picnic. It’s so delicious and easy that you’ll be making it all summer long!