Buttery and tender blueberry buttermilk cake topped with lightly sweetened berries and baked to perfection! This simple and sweet cake is quick, easy and the perfect way to enjoy those fresh summer berries!
This cake is almost like a giant blueberry muffin, but for dessert. The fresh blueberries add such great flavor and make it so delicious. It tastes amazing as is, but for an extra treat, you can serve it with freshly whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream. Yum!
I have to confess, I am totally a dessert girl. I love to end the day with a little something sweet! And during the spring and summer months, I love to stock up on all the fresh berries and use them for making delicious treats.
This blueberry buttermilk cake is a favorite around here. It’s simple to make, I nearly always have the ingredients on hand and it tastes fantastic! It really doesn’t get better than this – buttery, tender cake topped with lightly sweetened berries and baked to perfection!
The best thing about this cake is that it can be eaten for dessert or breakfast. It makes a delicious blueberry breakfast cake and is the perfect morning treat to enjoy on the weekends. Yum!
- Type of pan. I like to bake mine in a pie plate, but you could also use a springform pan or a cake pan.
- Buttermilk. This makes the cake super soft and moist. You can make your own homemade buttermilk by mixing together whole milk and distilled vinegar.
- Fresh berries. Using fresh berries (instead of frozen) definitely makes a difference in this recipe. The flavor really shines through and the berries are super juicy and delicious.
- Don’t over mix. If you over mix the batter, the cake won’t be as soft and tender. So make sure not to get heavy handed and only mix the batter until just combined.
- Toothpick test. To test if the cake is done, stick a toothpick in the center. It should come out completely clean. If there is batter on the toothpick, continue baking the cake for a few more minutes then retest with another toothpick.
- Other types of fruit. If you don’t like blueberries or don’t have any on hand, you could substitute pretty much any fresh berry. I also like this cake with fresh peaches or pears on top. You really can’t go wrong!
- Plain. You could always bake this cake plain without the fruit, then serve with fresh strawberry jam on top.
- Sugar. Instead of sprinkling the fruit with plain sugar, use a mixture of cinnamon sugar for more flavor.
- Glaze. Sometimes I add a powdered sugar icing or lemon glaze on top. Simply combine 1 cup powdered sugar with the juice from 1 lemon. You can sub milk for lemon (use about 2-3 Tablespoons) and add a splash of vanilla.
- Crumb topping. For a fun twist, sprinkle on a sweet crumble topping before baking.
To store, tightly cover with plastic wrap or foil. It will stay fresh at room temperature for about 3 to 4 days. You may also store it in the fridge to keep it fresh for a few more days.
More sweet favorites:
- Lemon blueberry muffins
- Blackberry cheesecake bars
- Lemon blueberry zucchini bread
- The perfect lemon bars
- Raspberry lemon cookies
Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a 9 or 10-inch pie dish.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla and mix until combined. Then add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined.
- Spread the batter in the buttered pie dish, then spread the blueberries over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Recipe and photography contributed by Alicia from The Baker Upstairs.