Creamy homemade fudge made in the microwave with only 3 ingredients! Top with a gooey salted caramel or mix in your favorite chopped nuts. You won’t believe how easy and delicious this chocolate fudge recipe is!
This is definitely a Christmas staple at our house. We make it every year and often bring it to holiday gatherings, too. Sometimes I’ll make fun variations, like eggnog fudge, marshmallow Mexican fudge and fudge brownies.
Can you believe the holidays are almost here? Time is flying by. Today I’m excited to share this easy microwave fudge recipe. It comes out super smooth, creamy and absolutely delicious! I’ve been making it for a few years now and it’s one I always seem to come back to. If you’ve been intimated to make homemade fudge, this microwave version is the best recipe to start with. It makes great gifts for neighbors and the perfect dessert for any holiday party.
This microwave fudge is made with 3 simple ingredients. Chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and butter. Only the good stuff. ;) You can mix it up and add in different types of nuts, or even a layer of caramel (my favorite) on top.
The best part about this recipe is that you don’t need a double broiler or candy thermometer. Now, is this going to taste the exact same as a classic fudge recipe where you use a double broiler? No…but I promise, it is SO good! It comes out so rich and creamy. It’s perfect for when you need to bring a holiday dessert in a pinch. Everyone will think you spent hours making this homemade fudge, when in reality it only took minutes!!
How to make fudge in the microwave
- Line 8×8″ baking dish with parchment paper and lightly butter.
- Combine all ingredients in large microwave bowl. Microwave at 50% power for 1 minute. Stir, then microwave in 30 second increments until smoothly melted.
- Quickly pour into baking dish and press down with spatula.
- Refrigerate until the fudge sets. Store in fridge until serving.
- Once the fudge has hardened, add caramel bits and cream to microwave bowl. Cook for 1 minute then stir. Microwave additional 30 seconds if needed.
- Stir until smooth then pour over fudge. To even distribute the caramel, tap pan on the counter.
- Immediately top with sea salt if desired.
TIP: My microwave fudge took about 2 minutes total to melt and become creamy. Be careful not to over cook or it will become grainy.
- Chocolate: Make with the 3 simple ingredients.
- Caramel: Make the caramel layer, follow instructions below.
- With nuts: Mix in 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Peppermint: Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.
The caramel chocolate fudge topped with sea salt is my absolute favorite. I love using the Kraft caramel bits because it makes it so much easier! If you can’t find those, you can always use the wrapped caramels, but make sure they are soft when you buy them.
To store, add to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. Remove from fridge about 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving. I find it easiest to cut with a plastic knife.
It should keep in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 weeks. To extend the shelf life, you can freeze the fudge too. I like to individually wrap the pieces in plastic wrap then store in a zip top bag. You can also wrap the whole fudge block too. Just wrap in plastic wrap, store in freezer in a zip top bag, then thaw once ready to serve. After it’s thawed, cut into pieces.
For chocolate fudge:
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (can also use milk chocolate)
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup butter
For caramel layer:
- 11 ounce package caramel bits (I used Kraft)
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- sea salt or maldon (if desired)
- Line a 8×8″ baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly butter and set aside.
- Combine the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and butter in a large microwave bowl. Microwave for one minute at 50% power. Stir and then microwave in 30 second increments until the chocolate has melted. It took mine about 2 minutes. Be careful not to over cook or it will be come grainy. Quickly pour into prepared baking dish and press down with a spatula. Refrigerate until set.
- To add the caramel layer (make sure the fudge has hardened), microwave the caramel bits and cream in a microwave bowl for 1 minute. Stir and microwave an additional 30 seconds if needed. Stir until smooth and then pour over the chocolate fudge. Tap the pan on the counter, so it evenly distributes. Top with sea salt immediately, if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. I find it easiest to cut with a plastic knife.
- Fudge with nuts: Mix in 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans immediately after the chocolate has melted.
- Peppermint fudge: Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top immediately after you pour the chocolate in the pan.