Creamy homemade fudge made in the microwave with only 3 ingredients! Top with a gooey salted caramel or mix in your favorite chopped nuts. You won’t believe how easy and delicious this chocolate fudge recipe is!
The Easiest Fudge Recipe
This fudge is definitely a Christmas staple at our house. We make it every year and often bring it to holiday gatherings, too. Sometimes I’ll make fun variations like peanut butter fudge, eggnog fudge and white chocolate fudge.
This microwave fudge comes out super smooth, creamy and absolutely delicious! I’ve been making it for a few years now and it’s one I always seem to come back to. If you’ve been intimated to make homemade fudge, this microwave version is the best recipe to start with. Just like homemade Twix bars it makes great neighbor gifts and the perfect dessert for any holiday party.
The best part about this recipe is that you don’t need a double broiler or candy thermometer like with homemade toffee. It’s perfect for when you need to bring a holiday dessert in a pinch. Everyone will think you spent hours making this homemade fudge, when in reality it only took minutes!
3 Simple Ingredients
This microwave fudge is made with 3 simple ingredients similar to my easy chocolate fudge. You can mix it up and add in different types of nuts, or even a layer of caramel (my favorite) on top.
- Chocolate chips: I like to use semi sweet, but milk chocolate chips also taste great.
- Condensed milk: This helps makes it super creamy and delicious. Make sure to get sweetened condensed milk.
- Butter: This adds the perfect rich flavor and contributes to that perfectly smooth texture.
Optional Caramel Layer
Once the fudge has hardened, add caramel bits and cream to microwave bowl. Cook for 1 minute then stir. Microwave additional 30 seconds if needed. Stir until smooth then pour over fudge. To even distribute the caramel, tap pan on the counter. Immediately top with sea salt if desired.
How to Make Fudge in the Microwave
- MELT. Combine all ingredients in large microwave bowl. Microwave at 50% power for 1 minute. Stir, then microwave in 30 second increments until smoothly melted.
- POUR. Quickly pour into a greased 8×8″ baking dish and press down with spatula until evenly spread in pan.
- CHILL. Refrigerate until the fudge sets. Store in fridge until serving.
The caramel chocolate fudge topped with sea salt is my absolute favorite. I love using the Kraft caramel bits because it makes it so much easier! If you can’t find those, you can always use the wrapped caramels, but make sure they are soft when you buy them.
- Chocolate: Make with the 3 simple ingredients.
- Caramel: Make a caramel layer and pour on top.
- With nuts: Mix in 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Peppermint: Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.
- Line your pan. Make sure to line your baking dish with parchment paper and lightly butter the paper. The last thing you want is for your fudge to stick to the pan.
- Don’t overcook. Mine took about 2 minutes total to melt and become creamy. Be careful not to over cook or it will become grainy.
- Adding more layers. If adding the caramel layer, make sure the fudge has hardened completely before pouring the caramel on top.
- Plastic knife. I’ve had best results cutting my fudge with a plastic knife. You’ll get cleaner lines this way.
Storing and Freezing
- Storing: Add to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. Remove from fridge about 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving. I find it easiest to cut with a plastic knife. It should keep in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 weeks.
- Freezing: I like to individually wrap the pieces in plastic wrap then store in a zip top bag. You can also wrap the whole fudge block, too. Just wrap in plastic wrap, store in freezer in a zip top bag, then thaw once ready to serve. After it’s thawed, cut into pieces.
5 star review
“So easy to make!! Chocolate came out dreamy!! I used 2 cups milk chocolate morsels and 1 cup chocolate espresso chips for just a hint of coffee flavor!!! Added the sea salt on the caramel too!!! Thanks so much for your recipe!”– Jacqueline
More Easy Microwave Desserts:
For chocolate fudge:
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (can also use milk chocolate)
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup butter
For caramel layer:
- 11 ounce package caramel bits (I used Kraft)
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- sea salt or maldon (if desired)
- Line a 8×8″ baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly butter and set aside. Combine the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and butter in a large microwave bowl. Microwave for one minute at 50% power. Stir and then microwave in 30 second increments until the chocolate has melted. It took mine about 2 minutes. Be careful not to over cook or it will be come grainy.
- Quickly pour into prepared baking dish and press down with a spatula. Refrigerate until set.
- To add the caramel layer (make sure the fudge has hardened), microwave the caramel bits and cream in a microwave bowl for 1 minute. Stir and microwave an additional 30 seconds if needed. Stir until smooth and then pour over the chocolate fudge. Tap the pan on the counter, so it evenly distributes. Top with sea salt immediately, if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Then slice into squares. I find it easiest to cut with a plastic knife.
- Fudge with nuts: Mix in 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans immediately after the chocolate has melted.
- Peppermint fudge: Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top immediately after you pour the chocolate in the pan.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!